Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

November 1985 GP: My Story

Chad Thorne

If anybody has a Nov. '85 GP in decent condition I'll buy it for a reasonable price. It has Jeff Beck on the cover looking very Nigel Tufnel-ish. I lost my copy some time ago.

In 1980, after playing guitar righty for 15 years, I sustained an injury to my left arm and hand that makes fretting strings impracticable. For the next 4 years I didn't play, believing a righty couldn't play lefty. In early 1985, however, I began to wonder if that was in fact true. I wrote a letter to GP asking for input, and it was printed in 11/85.

I got 6 letters from people around the country, encouraging me to go lefty. I also got a call from a guy named Peter in South Boston (I lived in the Boston area) who told me he had a cheap Strat copy that I could have, free for nothing, to restring lefty. Now I play - lefty - pretty well, and I have those 7 people to thank. Maybe some of them will see this and get in touch, but at least I'd like to have the mag for sentimental reasons.

O.K.?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably have it here somewhere, but its condition may not be all that great! I used to have a psychotic Mexican Conure (a medium-smallish bird with a medium-large-ish beak and attitude that loves hot peppers) who loved to chew up my GPs! Discriminating taste, I'd say!

(I have most issues in some state or another going back to August '83.)

I'll see if I can find it; if it's worth your while, I may as well give it a quick re-read and send it off to ya, Chad...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'll have a look next time I venture up to the attic :D I have a collection stashed there, so in case the world starts turning the other way around and we travel back in time I wouldn't have to buy them again...
- due to recent cutbacks, the light at the end of the tunnel has been SWITCHED OFF

Here you go buddy... I did some research for you... there are 2 copies left on EBAY:

CLICK

God Bless :thu:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by badblues:

I'll have a look next time I venture up to the attic :D I have a collection stashed there, so in case the world starts turning the other way around and we travel back in time I wouldn't have to buy them again...

LOL, badblues! I had boxes of them, probably for the same reason, which I gave away a year ago to a young guitar-playing friend (the 11/85 issue was already long gone). Let HIM cart 'em around...

If either of you guys (badblues or Caevan) come up with a copy you don't mind parting with you can email me at tx0990@yahoo.com. Unfortunately, BiC, I don't use credit cards (a snare and a delusion) so can't buy it off E-Bay. Amazing that it's there, though...

Originally posted by chad:

Unfortunately, BiC, I don't use credit cards (a snare and a delusion) so can't buy it off E-Bay. Amazing that it's there, though...

Yeah, I don't use them either. I use a debit card. But, just email the guy since he also accepts money orders.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by BiC:

Unfortunately, BiC, I don't use credit cards (a snare and a delusion) so can't buy it off E-Bay. Amazing that it's there, though...

Yeah, I don't use them either. I use a debit card. But, just email the guy since he also accepts money orders.

Well, I'm hopeless. I looked all over and didn't see an email address for that guy...

Well, I'm hopeless. I looked all over and didn't see an email address for that guy...
Just go to the auction page and click on the "Ask seller a question" link on the right in the "Seller information" section

OR

Copy and paste this super long link (be sure to get everything in quotes):

"http://signin.ebay.com/ws2/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&UsingSSL=0&pUserId=&co_partnerId=2&siteid=0&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fcontact.ebay.com%3A80%2Fws1%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FShowCoreAskSellerQues tion%26SSPageName%3DPageAskSellerQuestion_VI%26frm%3D284%26iid%3D6908235462%26requested%3Dsummernight%26redirect%3D0&pageType=711"

Enter your user name and password and ask away....

BTW, another alternative is to "Buy It Now" and then I'm sure the seller will send you an address to send the money order to.

Good luck!

I've invited the seller to the forum. So, he may show up and help you out if nothing else.

Peace :)

Hang in there, Chad! I sent them the link, but they had trouble with it. I'm sending it to them again. They should be here shortly...

Hey Chad, I tried emailing you but it got returned. It says your email is "unavailable".

Do you have another one in case the seller wants to contact you?

Hey Chad, I tried emailing you but it got returned. It says your email is "unavailable".

Odd. Try chad_thorne@yahoo.com. BTW, having no credit/debit card I can't register on E-Bay, so I really appreciate your help!

Odd. Try chad_thorne@yahoo.com. BTW, having no credit/debit card I can't register on E-Bay, so I really appreciate your help!
I may be wrong, but I believe you only need a credit/debit card to register as a "seller". If you're a buyer/bidder, I don't think it matters. Otherwise, how are there so many shill bidders out there?? ;)

I'm in touch with them. Would you like for me to send them your email address?

Originally posted by cosmo115:

I may be wrong, but I believe you only need a credit/debit card to register as a "seller". If you're a buyer/bidder, I don't think it matters. Otherwise, how are there so many shill bidders out there?? ;)
That's just it Cos... he doesn't have one.

quote:

I may be wrong, but I believe you only need a credit/debit card to register as a "seller". If you're a buyer/bidder, I don't think it matters. Otherwise, how are there so many shill bidders out there??
;)
That's just it Cos... he doesn't have one.

BiC, doesn't he want to "buy" the magazine???? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_3.gif

OR are you saying that if you register for eBay now as a buyer or seller, you have to provide a credit card?

BiC, doesn't he want to "buy" the magazine???? http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_12_3.gif

OR are you saying that if you register for eBay now as a buyer or seller, you have to provide a credit card?[/QB]

Yes, he wants to buy it. But since Chad doesn't have an Ebay account or a credit card, I'm trying to get him and the seller in contact with one another. This way Chad can simply send them a money order for the mag.

Since you posted your email on here, they will see it sooner or later. But since I'm already in contact with them, I'll go ahead and give them your email address so you can obtain one of the mags while they are still available. You should hear from them soon.

Peace :)

OR are you saying that if you register for eBay now as a buyer or seller, you have to provide a credit card?

Yes, he wants to buy it. But since Chad doesn't have an Ebay account or a credit card, I'm trying to get him and the seller in contact with one another. This way Chad can simply send them a money order for the mag.

But can't anyone get an eBay account?? I really don't think you need a credit card to register.

BTW, BiC you are really going above and beyond to help out Chad :thu:http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_100.gif

------

Question for Chad: don't you know anyone with an eBay account that can buy it for you and you can pay them back??

But can't anyone get an eBay account?? I really don't think you need a credit card to register.

BTW, BiC you are really going above and beyond to help out Chad :thu:

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_28_100.gif

------

Question for Chad: don't you know anyone with an eBay account that can buy it for you and you can pay them back??[/QB]

Thanx Cos.

I don't remember if you need one or not?

It'll be much easier for Chad knocking out the middle man, and dealing directly with the seller.

He should hear from them soon.

BTW, Jeff looks a little like Vinnie Vincent on that GP cover :D

I haven't heard that name uttered in eons! :D

Jeff??? Jeff Beck is a guitarist who played with......... (another poor attempt at humor) :wave:

Cosmo's IMHO corner: Vinnie Vincent is quite possibly the ugliest guitarist on earth (with or without KISS make-up).

Response #2 - and that's why he's organizing shopping carts in the parking lot at Target now :D

Archived