Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Les Paul Jr. different???

Dak Lander

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A LP Jr. is a single, flat slab of mahogony with usually just one P-90 pickup. Dirt simple.

Regular LPs are topped with a carved maple top (sometimes mahogony) and have either two P-90s (pre 1957) or two humbuckers. Also have binding and more ornate inlays.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

The LP Jr. has no carved top, but is instead a flat slab of wood, typically mahogany. One pickup, one volume, one tone... the pure tone of a P90 on a slab of mahogany is heaven to many ears.

I am prejudiced, my first electric was (and still is) a 59 LP Jr. I bought for 50$ in 1976....

drfuzz

"I'm just here to regulate the funkiness"

Originally posted by daklander:

Hey all you Les Paul freaks. What is different about a Les Paul Jr. and other Les Pauls?

Here's a 1958 Les Paul Jr.

http://www.killervintage.com/images/58jr2.jpg

The single-cutaway versions, like the earlier Juniors and Specials, should fit into a case that a "regular" Les Paul would fit. I think...

They're pretty much just a Les Paul that hasn't got a carved cap on top of the body, for the most part. Very similar, though not quite identicle.

Idunno about the double-cutaway versions, like the later '50s models.

Man, I still kick myself for not having bought a pristine- except for some "belt-buckle rash" on the back- '60 Les Paul Special (like a Junior, but with two P-90s and fretboard binding) that I could've snagged a few years ago... that one just may require a professional therapist... !! :eek::cry:;):D

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

The single-cutaway versions, like the earlier Juniors and Specials, should fit into a case that a "regular" Les Paul would fit. I think...

They're pretty much just a Les Paul that hasn't got a carved cap on top of the body, for the most part. Very similar, though not quite identicle.

That's pretty much what I figured. I have an early rectangular Les Paul case for sale and had an inguery as to the Jr fitting the case. Being it's not a formed case I figured a Jr would fit the case. The only issue I can see is the neck rest. I know some other guitars don't fit into the case correctly because of that.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

There is the thickness to be checked. A Jr is very thin.

There is the headstock tilt angle to be checked. (My 57 will not fit in the 78 case, because of the tilt of the headstock.)

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Originally posted by Michael Jackson's real nose:

If fitting into the case is your main concern, you could always reduce the size of the neck support, if necessary, &/or add padding to the area around the body, of course.

Yeah, but the question is for an answer to a guery I got from a potential buyer. He has the Jr & I'm selling the case. He's in Brazil & with shipping over $300.00 I darned well don't want to give him the idea that it will be a perfect match in case he still wants to buy something that will cost over four times what it's worth to get shipped.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by Michael Jackson's real nose:

YOW!

That cat's willing to pay that much to get a guitar case?!

Things in Brazil must be tough!

He could build a few for that loot.

Well, I don't know if he's willing. He's been in touch a couple of times about the shipping and fit. I've given him my concerns about the cost of shipping and that the guitar body may be too thin and so cause the headstock to be too high in the case so the top won't close right. I also asked him if it wasnt' possible to find something in Brazil. Haven't heard back from him in a couple of days.

Personally, I wouldn't pay that much for a case. Hell he should be able to get a really nice custiom case for a couple of hundred bucks.

Our Joint

Archived