Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

in a guitar battle......who would win

fireaway0201

Seriously dudes, I don't get the SRV thing. Sure, he was a great blues guitarist, but completely derivative. He copped most all his stuff from Albert King and Jimi. He was not in the same league as Jimi-not even close. Hell, he even copped Jimi's look with the hat and the scarves. Jimi invented a style and a way of playing that became pervasive. IMO, he invented heavy metal as well with a few power chords at the end of "Changes" on the Band of Gypsies live at the Fillmore record. It took years before anyone could really cop his sound and technique. Same thing with Paco De Lucia in flamenco, who actually would win any guitar battle in a couple seconds...............

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by MartinC:

Seriously dudes, I don't get the SRV thing. Sure, he was a great blues guitarist, but completely derivative. He copped most all his stuff from Albert King and Jimi. He was not in the same league as Jimi-not even close. Hell, he even copped Jimi's look with the hat and the scarves. Jimi invented a style and a way of playing that became pervasive. IMO, he invented heavy metal as well with a few power chords at the end of "Changes" on the Band of Gypsies live at the Fillmore record. It took years before anyone could really cop his sound and technique. Same thing with Paco De Lucia in flamenco, who actually would win any guitar battle in a couple seconds...............

Jiminey crickets! I could take paco with one hand

tied behind my back :P One day you'll come to realize that we are all special in our own little way. :thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Of course we all are special in our own way, it's just that not all of us are special in the "guitar playing department"

U right my bad :rolleyes:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

I play better than both of them.

:cool:

Of course the fact that they're dead has slowed them down a bit to my level. :P;):D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Nobody before or since has played with such pure passion and raw emotion as SRV. He didn't copy Hendrix or Albert King so much as he interpreted their works, much like a classical violinist might interpret Paganini. I have a copy of the Austin City Limits concerts of SRV, and I can tell you he smokes with an intense passion that will leave you shaking your head in disbelief.
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Jimi invented a style and a way of playing that became pervasive. IMO, he invented heavy metal as well with a few power chords at the end of "Changes" on the Band of Gypsies live at the Fillmore record. It took years before anyone could really cop his sound and technique.

Come on.... Everybody knows that Black Sabbath invented metal. :evil:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Jimi invented a style and a way of playing that became pervasive. IMO, he invented heavy metal as well with a few power chords at the end of "Changes" on the Band of Gypsies live at the Fillmore record. It took years before anyone could really cop his sound and technique.

Ahhh but you're both wrong. It was actually Steppenwolf about whom the term "Heavy Metal Music" was coined.

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Ahhh but you're both wrong. It was actually Steppenwolf about whom the term "Heavy Metal Music" was coined.
I thought the Beatles invented heavy metal, with "Ticket to ride", "Helter Skelter" and "I want you (she`s so heavy)" :confused::D

To answer your question, to me both were genious, I hate to write this, but I like more the SRV version of "Little wing" than the Hendrix original.

"Creo en la Reflexión, no en Dogmas"

Beatnik

Don't know about 'metal' but early "heavy" music would have to be The Yardbirds, Amboy Dukes, Blue Cheer, The Who.

The Who man. The Who.

The Beatles.

Big Brother and Holding Co.?

Cream.

No The Kinks. You really got me on this one.

Sorry.

Iron Butterfly?

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Of course we all are special in our own way, it's just that not all of us are special in the "guitar playing department"

yea well...

my dad can beat up your dad!

they are both great players.

whats the most important thing in defining a great player?

technique

dynamics and feel

originality??

i would say that technique is tied in with dynamics and feel. but doesn't originality go a long way also? who could argue that SRV is more original. not many. i will say that SRV was great technically, beyond jimi.

i think 2 better 'guitar wars' would be jimi and eddie van halen. LOL!! it is so dumb but if you think about it, they both ushered in new eras of playing, and they both sound completely underived.

The SRV jimi debate would be comparable to a Steve Vai EVH debate--I would choose EVH by the way.

personal preference really. i would choose eddie cuz he influenced me more.

I've seen SRV on Austin City limits-still doesn't compare to Jimi on an average night -for me. As far as metal, I'm not taking about the term "Heavy Metal", but the sound and additude of the guitar. Check out that band of gypsies cut-when buddy miles speeds up the tempo way too fast, jimi ends the tune by just slamming these huge power chords. I could very well be wrong, but I really think that may have been the birth of what became metal guitar. At least good metal guitar.

I've heard this time and time again. And every time I see Stevie getting slammed as a clone, it makes me upset. He had plenty of unique things. And he does cite both of those players as influences, so I think you need to study more blues and SRV before you go talking about clones.

And in a guitar battle - it depends. If all you want is speed and technique. I think Vai would win. I was never a big Hendrix fan anyway. I like him, I respect him, yes he is good. But it doesn't mean I have to listen to him all the time. I think some of the old farts (j/k guys :D ) need to open there eyes (serious about that, although not directed at anyone personally) and realize there's more to the world of guitar then Hendrix, Van Halen, Page, and Clapton.

Shut up and play.

Originally posted by fireaway0201:

In my many years of guitar playing ive come across two great guiatr legends and some what marters of the cause haha Jimi Hendrix and stevie ray vaughn my question which is more of a paradox is whos a better guitar player? Your pick and reason for it.

Who knows? But I'd love to see that battle! Ah, yeah!!!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived