Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

distortion pedal????

Shannon

Okay need some more advice... I've got a Les Paul and a Fender Pro Jr Amp... Looking for some good ole gritty heavy classic rock tones, I need some distortion and I'm thinkin about gettin a pedal... any ideas... suggestions????

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What type of classic rock tones? For bluesy stuff up to Marshall crunch, I'd recommend a DOD Mystic Blues or a Boss Blues Driver. For fuzz I'd recommend a Fuzz Face or a Big Muff Pi. Then, if you want to get heavy, a DOD Grunge pedal kicks ass. ;)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

For "heavy classic rock" tones I've always liked the Proco Rat pedal.

Note: This thing cuts the bottom end of your sound, so it is really best suited to being kicked in for leads. I would think you could get a pretty good crunch rhythm sound out of your Pro Junior amp, considering you're driving it with a Les Paul. The more I think about it, the more I think I would like your guitar/amp combination with a Rat! :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I'll second the vote for the Tonebone Classis. I have one and it's great. It doesn't get much use anymore since I've been using the distortion from my new Mesa, but it's hands down the best distortion pedal I've ever used.

I tried a Klon Centaur once and loved it, but I had already hocked my left leg and all my dreams, so I couldn't afford it. Golly, they are proud of that thing!

I am pretty happy with a Keeley modded Boss Blues Driver, and it didn't cost near as much. And I found a Charlie Stringer Black Dog pedal that I like pretty well for about $15;makes a clean amp sound kinda like a vintage Marshall with the right settings. Also, the Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal has some good tones in it as well, and I picked one up used for $25 in near mint condition.

I don't hear much difference between the Ibanez TS 808 reissue and the Keeley Blues Driver, but a guy I know swears his TS-808 is way better than a stock Blues Driver.

I have found that the tone tends to vary between Ratt pedals. I had a great one I hated to let go when I had to, but figured I could get another one later. When I did finally get another, it was just awful. Don't know why. Too much distortion, no way to tame it enough to please me. But even with the one I liked, I had to turn the drive knob down almost all the way down to keep it from sounding like a flatulent kazoo. But that's just personal taste. If you want a balls-to-the-wall distortion pedal, a Ratt's that in spades. I like things a little smoother.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Dylan PDX:

I'll second the vote for the Tonebone Classis. I have one and it's great. It doesn't get much use anymore since I've been using the distortion from my new Mesa, but it's hands down the best distortion pedal I've ever used.

3rd vote for ToneBone Classic. Best distortion pedal I've heard. :thu:

Originally posted by Shannon:

I've got a Les Paul and a Fender Pro Jr Amp... Looking for some good ole gritty heavy classic rock tones ... any ideas... suggestions????

Turn that Pro Jr. volume to 5-6, tone 6-8 and you've pretty much got Led Zep IV with LP. Roll back the volume on the LP for your rythym and up for leads.

Unless you're after a metal or grunge tone, try going with a boost pedal (see the fulltone page www.fulltone.com) or something like the Fulldrive. Anything that will smack the preamp tubes will do.

For me, personally, I don't know what I'd do with more distortion at those settings!

www.ruleradio.com

"Fame is like death: We will never know what it looks like until we've reached the other side. Then it will be impossible to describe and no one will believe you if you try."

- Sloane Crosley, Village Voice

The Boss Metal Zone can get ALL SORTS of tone! :wave:

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7

Originally posted by cwfno:

Ummm, dumb question here, but can't you just crank up your gain and set your LP to the bridge pup and get what you want?

Pro Jr. has tone and volume only... you can crank them like daddyelmis said but I usually practice late at night and I'm trying not to piss my neighbors off too bad, thought a pedal might help get the sound I was after at a lower volume and still be handy for other fun stuff.

Electric guitar is an unhealthy obsession for a starving artist. :freak: I've only had my guitar for three weeks... I said to myself okay, get a decent set up and worry about the other stuff after a WHILE... I have already caught the tone bug :P

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Hey Shannon I've got a Fuzz Face if you want it... hardly ever used it and it's good for that Hendrix kinda distortion. They go for around $100 new, but I'd give you a much better deal!

Vintage or the re-issue? There's a difference in the tone. The vintage models have PNP germanium transistors, and have a smoother tone than the PNP silicon transistors in the newer pedals. $100 for a vintage Fuzz Face is a good deal.

Jimmy Page used a Vox Tonebender on some of the early Zep albums. The Tonebender is a NPN silicon Fuzz Face with a few changes in the component values.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Yeah I've got the reissue not the vintage. I like it but I just don't need 4 distortion pedals. :D I mostly use my Vox Tone Bender (which I bought a couple of years ago from a fellow Guitar Forum member) and a Big Muff that stanner gave me. :love: Also have an old MXR Distortion + from the 70's. Between all those I get all the sounds I need, especially considering I hardly ever use any pedals.

Shannon -

I am pretty happy with my Ibanez TS-7 (basically a Tube Screamer with a switch that goes from a more "vintage" sound to a more modern crunch). I just checked on Musicians Friend - they\'re going for $39.99 . That would certainly be in your price range.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Yeah I've got the reissue not the vintage. I like it but I just don't need 4 distortion pedals. :D I mostly use my Vox Tone Bender (which I bought a couple of years ago from a fellow Guitar Forum member) and a Big Muff that stanner gave me. :love: Also have an old MXR Distortion + from the 70's. Between all those I get all the sounds I need, especially considering I hardly ever use any pedals.

Damn, you've got all the classics! The Big Muff Pi is my favorite, and I've got one of the US made re-issues. I've been wanting a Distortion + but haven't gotten around to buying or building one yet. I prototyped one and really liked it but would have a hard time getting it to fit inside one of those Hammond 1590B boxes, so I'd rather buy one. :)

The Tone Bender is pretty much the same as a Fuzz Face, but like all FF pedals, the transistors make all the difference. Is your Tone Bender vintage or new? I've heard that the re-issue FF's sound bad, but are much more consistent than the older ones. I've never tried one of the Dunlop FF's, so I can't comment on that. All of my FF's are home built, using silicon transistors.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

Shannon -

I am pretty happy with my Ibanez TS-7 (basically a Tube Screamer with a switch that goes from a more "vintage" sound to a more modern crunch). I just checked on Musicians Friend - they\'re going for $39.99 . That would certainly be in your price range.

If you're going to get a blues-type distortion pedal (or overdrive) you owe it to yourself to check out DOD, Boss, and Ibanez pedals. I personally hated my TS-7, but other folks swear by them. I love my DOD Mystic Blues Overdrive. To me, the Mystic Blues just sounds clearer than the TS-7, less fuzzy, and that's what I want in an overdrive. If I wanted fuzz I'd get my Big Muff Pi out. :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

I really appreciate everybody's input. :thu:

Lee, thanks for the offer :D , I'll have to get back with you on that one though, kinda strapped right now, just discovered I'm gonna have to make a repair on my Jeep, :rolleyes: If I can wing it myself it shouldn't cost too much to fix. But i'll have to wait till next weekend before I'll have time to start on it.

(Whistling aimlessly, twiddling thumbs...)

I heard there's this guy that goes by "bluestrat", that builds an ocassional distortion pedal or two...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

(Whistling aimlessly, twiddling thumbs...)

I heard there's this guy that goes by "bluestrat", that builds an ocassional distortion pedal or two...

Need more capital. :( Mas dinero, por favor.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Archived