Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Selling valuable guitar

ademus

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is this fabulously valuable axe? (Of course I want to know, and see and hear it if I can! I'm a guitar geek!)

Have you had it expertly appraised, and if so, officially documented as such? If not, I highly recommend Gruhn Guitars; the absolute closest thing to a watertight garauntee of such an instrument's value, per the date of the appraisel. George Gruhn has that corner of the market well nailed down! After all, he really did write the book on the subject!

Once that's done, I'd either e-bay auction it, sell it to a dealer (like Gruhn's) who'll have a clientele for such instruments (and prices), or inquire about selling on consignment through just such a well-connected dealer.

Butcha gotta fill us in here, o.k.?!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hey Cosmo! I'd considered ebay, but have absolutely no idea how such a high dollar transaction could be handled securely over the Internet. Any ideas? The guitar is a teal blue Paul Reed Smith McCarty Dragon with three humbuckers. It is the only McCarty Dragon in existence. I'll get some pics up in the next few days.

Your solo on Child of Evil smokes dude. :thu: Your tone and style remind me of Ross the Boss.

I'm in agreement with Caveman on the Gruhn's Guitars bit.

The fabled McCarty Dragon, huh? I've seen pics of the inlay. Quite neat. Not my personal cup of tea, which is good as I don't happen to have a spare 25K kicking around. I could buy 25 garden variety Les Pauls with that, or better, fund a holiday in a nice studio.

How did you come into possession of this piece?

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Three pup, McCarty with Dragon is indeed rare - was it a custom order (most Dragons were limited runs or 50-100) ?

George Gruhn is the absolute tops in the field.

These guys are becoming very well known also. After all they have Wes Montgomery's, Merle Travis and George Barnes guitars in their place.

And you might even want to contact Paul hisself. He may have a buyer for you.

Looking forward to pics :thu:

Lynn G

Originally posted by ademus:

Hey Cosmo! I'd considered ebay, but have absolutely no idea how such a high dollar transaction could be handled securely over the Internet. Any ideas? The guitar is a teal blue Paul Reed Smith McCarty Dragon with three humbuckers. It is the only McCarty Dragon in existence. I'll get some pics up in the next few days.

Since you have such a rare guitar (and depending on how much you are looking to get for it), you may be better off following Caevan's great advice. But if you wanted to try eBay, it is definitely safe, especially since you're in control selling it and you set the reserve. Reason being, you don't ship the guitar until you've been paid and with a guitar that valuable, you'd need to insure it, so there's really minimal risk for you.

Either way, I can't wait to see the pics!!

Your solo on Child of Evil smokes dude. :thu: Your tone and style remind me of Ross the Boss.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the feedback, ademus! Ross the Boss?? I just did a quick search and found the only "Ross the Boss" was a guitarist from The Dictators, but I never heard of them or him. Is he any good?? :)

Wow, thanks for all the feedback! :thu:

How did you come into possession of this piece?
I inherited some money from my mothers estate and purchased the guitar as an investment from Flynn Guitars in Illinois.

Thanks for listening and thanks for the feedback, ademus! Ross the Boss?? I just did a quick search and found the only "Ross the Boss" was a guitarist from The Dictators, but I never heard of them or him. Is he any good??
Ross the Boss played played lead guitar on at least the first two Mon-O-War albums, Battle Hymns and Into Glory Ride. Yeah, he's good!

Thanks again everybody! I'll get pics up in a couple days.

Ross the Boss played played lead guitar on at least the first two Mon-O-War albums, Battle Hymns and Into Glory Ride. Yeah, he's good!

I heard of Man-O-War, but never knew the guys in the group by name and I liked my ears too much to go see them. Thanks for the info and compliment. Now I have to go searching my archaic cassettes again ;)

Best of luck!

Hopefully one of the gurus in residence here can help me. I've got a very valuable guitar ($25,000+) that I need to sell. Any ideas as to how I should go about this? TIA :)

Duncan

I have heard that Mandolin Bros. does a lot of business in high-dollar instruments, including consignment sales, I believe. Other than that, I have no info about them.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

geezer, the piece about George Barnes was amazing. Looks like he played on almost every American recording there was in the 60s! Also, I didn't realize Wes Montgomery died that long ago (1968). Interesting info.
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Having sold quite a few (much less expensive) items on ebay, I suggest that you commision a professional photo shoot of the guitar. I've had good success on ebay because I take decent pictures of the actual item for sale, and I think you might get more money for the item if you have killer photos -- plus it's an impulse buy for some people. And you'd have a nice memento of your guitar.

Why the hurry to sell? Properly maintained, that particular guitar will likely appreciate.

Mr. O'Shite, I sold a piece of real estate in '02 and my accountant drastically underestimated my capital gains liability. The KG..... I mean IRS, demands immediate satisfaction. BTW Thanks for the recommendation Re: Gruhns. I spoke w/ Mr. Gruhn and he was very helpful.

:thu:

And ,cast me with Will Rogers, as far as the hereafter is concerned

Archived