Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Self Tuning Guitar?!?

Hendmik

http://www.selftuning.com/index2.htm

How do I feel about this? I don't know yet. My biggest gripe about new players is that they have no idea how tune. Buying a guitar to do it for them is sad (although the price point is nowhere near the entry level). However, the creative possibilities of this thing is cool. I'd love to hear Stanley Jordan on something like this. I also see several points of failure during live performance that worry me.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought I'd found the Holy Grail until I saw this quote:

What does the Performer system cost?

The installation price for the tuning system in a Les Paul or Telecaster style guitar is $3,399. The Stratocaster style guitar requires additional work and is priced at $3,899. Contact the company for additional information.

:eek:

It does sound pretty cool (especially being able to change tunings on-the-fly), but there's just no way I would spend $3,400-$3,900 for something like this.

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

It does sound pretty cool (especially being able to change tunings on-the-fly), but there's just no way I would spend $3,400-$3,900 for something like this.
I agree. Cool thing, but the price is waaaay to expensive for me.. I dont use alternative tunings myself, except for dropped D sometime, so I dont really need it anyway.. But if I had that, I'd probably start experimenting... ;)

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

There is a thread about this in recording.org. Apparently Jimi Page has it retune while he's playing a song at shows.

I could imagine some cool effects could be gotten with it, but it is just wrong if people use it as a crutch.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

I've played these guitars at NAMM several years ago. They even commissioned Steve Klein to help develop an acoustic version (I haven't checked out their site in a while, so I don't know where they've gone with the concept.)

As a guy who fingerpicks, loves alternate tunings, this guitar would be fantastic for me. It certainly opens up many previously impossible techniques, including switching instantly between tunings, mid song. Imagine playing a song in standard tuning and switching to open D or G for a slide solo. Plus, it really does tune at the touch of a button.

I wonder what "points of failure in performance" worry you, Hendmik. I can assure you the system is robustly built. Broken strings don't affect the others, a la floating vibratos. Other than replacing a battery, what do you fear will fail?

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hell, yeah; given the bucks I'd have at least one guitar set-up with the Transperformance system!

Open-D and -E, open-D minor and -E minor, "DADGAD"; open G and A; that FACFAF Curtis Mayfield tuning; some low C9 tunings...

I don't see anyone who'd have one using it as "a crutch"; too much of a useful tool, and a very special and costly one, at that.

I'll tell you what's a dorky crutch: those robo-tuner type tuners that have a motorized peg-winder. Gheeze, learn to properly string-up and tune! Forget that crap!

As for the Transperformance system, Sonny Landreth uses one in a Les Paul Classic to great effect...

http://www.sonnylandreth.com/graphics/photos/summerf.jpg

I thing I'd opt for locking tuners and a Graph-Tech nut, though. I really don't like any string-clamps at the headstock-end...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Man, I would love to be wealthy and buy one of these for just about every bar band I've ever heard and set it to just keep the friggin' guitars in tune for the whole set. It always amazes me what people can put up with in terms of poor intonation and bad tuning...especially with distortion.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by DanG:

Don't it hurt when someone plays out of tune that quarter tone out...... ouch..... stop... please...

It can be bad but nothing compares to the agony of an out of tune horn player who loves jazz standards...ARGH!! I've literally had to leave my drink and run out of a bar before...pretty recently actually.

Here are some way cool pics of the Steve Klein acoustic with Transperformance system. Keep in mind that Klein's creations sell in the neighborhood of $5000 - $13,000 or more. :eek: (Note: Take a good look a the innovative installation design necessary to accomodate the Transperformance system in the second photo.

http://www.kleinguitars.com/transperformance_files/image011.gif

http://www.kleinguitars.com/transperformance_files/image006.jpg

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Originally posted by MarshallGibson_6:

I believe EVH used one on "I me, Magic"

Me Wise magic... just helping a brother out

:wave:

He used a Steinberger mounted in one of his Peavey guitars for Me Wise. Not this one, although the site does list him as an early client...

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Originally posted by MarshallGibson_6:

I believe EVH used one on "I me, Magic"

Me Wise magic... just helping a brother out

:wave:

He used a Steinberger mounted in one of his Peavey guitars for Me Wise. Not this one, although the site does list him as an early client...
Never heard I me magic what album was that on? :confused:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Truly, I don't think I Me Magic is anymore grammatically correct than Me Wise Magic. Both sound pretty silly if used in normal conversation.

Oh and I understand why the guy thought the guitar Ed used was the self tuner. The Trans Trem does bear a resemblance to the self tuning bridge.

http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/rig_wolf1.gif

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Originally posted by Hendmik:

Truly, I don't think I Me Magic is anymore grammatically correct than Me Wise Magic. Both sound pretty silly if used in normal conversation.

Oh and I understand why the guy thought the guitar Ed used was the self tuner. The Trans Trem does bear a resemblance to the self tuning bridge.

http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/rig_wolf1.gif

http://www.absolutepictures.com//c/carrey_jim/images/pictures/105.jpg

ALLLLLLLLLLL RIGHTY THEN! :P

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Archived