Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JamTrack 1 from guitplayer

michael saulnier

Ok. Here we go!

As discussed in the recent "lessons" thread... several people were interested in doing more "jam tracks"...

Here's one I whipped up using my Band in a Box program. It's sort of "jazzy blues" and should be fairly easy for people to solo over. The primary changes are Em, Am, Bm... pretty easy progression with a "jazzy turnaround".

guitplayer Jam Track 1

Here's guitplayer's Take. guitplayer\'s take

Here's James-Italy's Take. GuitJam3.mp3

Here's AlChuck's Take. AlChuck\'s Take

Here's Steevo's Take Steevo\'s GuitJam1

Here's Teahead's Take Teas GuitPlayer Track

Here's A String's Take A String\'s track

Here's Pauldil's Take Pauldil\'s Take

Here's JimZulu's Take JimZulu\'s Take

Here's Dennyf's Take Dennyf\'s Take

Here's Fruktfat's Take. My2Cents

Here's Steve LeBlanc's Take. Steve LeBlanc\'s Take

Here's Sylver's Take http://www.songramp.com/homepage.ez?Who=sylver264j&playsong=Yes&sampleid=12509

I used my Variax through my THD UniValve/HR Deluxe setup. 6V6 powertube, clean channel. I was trying to see if I could record a nice clean sound with the Variax and I used a 335 neck position model. I kinda liked the sound, but my playing wasn't the most thoughtful... oh well!

Hope you enjoy.

So here's what to do.

Download the mp3 rhythm track and record your own solo over it. Convert that to mp3 or similar format. Post that to the web somewhere.

Now post on this thread a link to your music... and I'll add a link in this post as well. Post thoughts and comments on any of the songs on this thread!

Don't be shy. Positive criticism is preferred, but if you have to be "brutal"... it's a free country isn't it?

Good luck!

Oh. If you think my backing track "sucks" :eek: ... or you just get inspired to do one... :D , feel free to post your own on another thread! :thu:

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for getting this kicked off guitplayer! I'm listening to your track now, cool lounge feel to it. Great little touch moving up the neck around 2.20 this is a cool track!

I can't hear where you crossed the borders of taste myself, all the playing seemed suitably restrained and it had more than a touch of class about it. I could imagine Steve McQueen driving around the streets of San Fransisco!

Thanks again. :thu:

Tea.

Cool Guit! :thu:

I'll go first that way no one else will be intimidated! If I can post my take, all you guys can too!

Not at all what I would have picked for a backing track, but there you go. You got me to play to something I normally never would. And, I managed to make it a little bit more my style with the guitar.

I used the '57 LP RI Goldtop into the PodXTpro. First time I've used the Pod in a while, but it's so damn easy and I'm really lazy today. Middle PU position (they are setup to be out of phase). I had to cut it off because I didn't know what else to play and started trying to play fast... something I'm not able to do yet. :D

James plays over the GuitJam

Hey, vibey, fun track! Sounds a little like Steely Dan and (Houses of the Holy-era) Led Zeppelin getting together in the room at the top of the stairs, at the Guernsey Fair... (you know, after detecting the "El-Supremo"... !) :D

I'm gonna wait till after I've had a few rounds with the backing-track to listen to your soloing-over-it take, Guit!

I'll post my stab at it as soon as I can; I really am working, bit by bit, to have the means to do so!

Thanks for your efforts!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by James-Italy:

Cool Guit! :thu:

I'll go first that way no one else will be intimidated! If I can post my take, all you guys can too!

Not at all what I would have picked for a backing track, but there you go. You got me to play to something I normally never would. And, I managed to make it a little bit more my style with the guitar.

I used the '57 LP RI Goldtop into the PodXTpro. First time I've used the Pod in a while, but it's so damn easy and I'm really lazy today. Middle PU position (they are setup to be out of phase). I had to cut it off because I didn't know what else to play and started trying to play fast... something I'm not able to do yet. :D

James plays over the GuitJam

James, Thanks for your contribution. I liked the patch you used there... very "forceful" sound... and you built more of a melodic theme than I did on my take. Nice job! :thu:

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Hey, vibey, fun track! Sounds a little like Steely Dan and (Houses of the Holy-era) Led Zeppelin getting together in the room at the top of the stairs, at the Guernsey Fair... (you know, after detecting the "El-Supremo"... !) :D

I'm gonna wait till after I've had a few rounds with the backing-track to listen to your soloing-over-it take, Guit!

I'll post my stab at it as soon as I can; I really am working, bit by bit, to have the means to do so!

Thanks for your efforts!

Thanks Caevan...

Since we had a "mix" of players and styles I tried to make this first one accessable to both "blues" and "jazz" players.

Your idea of waiting to listen to others until after you've done yours is one I typically follow... that way my "takes" have often been quite different than what I may have thought to do once I'd heard everyone else's...

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Originally posted by Teahead:

Thanks for getting this kicked off guitplayer! I'm listening to your track now, cool lounge feel to it. Great little touch moving up the neck around 2.20 this is a cool track!

I can't hear where you crossed the borders of taste myself, all the playing seemed suitably restrained and it had more than a touch of class about it. I could imagine Steve McQueen driving around the streets of San Fransisco!

Thanks again. :thu:

Tea.

Teahead. Thanks for the comments. I typically do these things in a single take or two to keep the original "vibe" I felt when I first heard the backing track... plus that takes a bit less time!

This time, I thought of each "time through" as a "pass" and tried to vary the style a bit... I'm already hearing things I would "change"... but aren't we ALL musicians who are never satisfied!

Anyway, thanks again... What did you think of the sound of the Variax? :D

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Cool track guit. :cool: I jammed over it and attempted to record, but I couldn't figure out how to get the MP3 to record with my playing. I'll figure it out eventually, I hope. :rolleyes:

So for now, just know that I used it.

Shut up and play.

OK, you suckered me in again, guitplayer... there are many other things I really should be doing...

My take on your backing track

I used SONAR 2.2. Recorded my Cort LCS-1 archtop through a POD 2.0 with the Black Panel model, effects bypassed. Then I compressed it a bit with Sonic Foundry's Track Compressor, slathered it with Cakewalk's FXChorus (Classic double) , and then Sonic Foundry reverb for a bit of ambiance. On the mix, I added a light touch of Sonic Foundry's reverb on the "subtle ambiance" preset and dialed back the return levels a bit from the defaults.

It was basically a one-shot, very little rehearsing just to suss the progression out and get the feel. Lots of bad notes and all my usual faults but there are some nice moments. I did chop out the two most annoying mistakes that stood alone enough to allow it without blowing anything...

So far I like the contrast between Guitplayer's clean tones...and James' grindier tone.

Nice, AlChuck! Nice job guys.

Guess I'll have to see what an ol' pentatonic blues wanker can drop on top o'that. (yikes)...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

AlChuck.

Thanks for the track. I really like the "jazz flavor" you got with your setup. The guitar you mentioned is a Larry Coryell model right? I have one too... do you have flatwounds on it?

The sound of the guitar processed as you have, almost has a guitar synth sound to it. I like how "smooth" it is. Some cool licks in there fast, but not out of control!

It really "fits" the track, perhaps more than the more "bluesy" one I did or even the more "fusion" type sound James used.

Nice job!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Guit- sorry forget to tell you your playing was groovy man, as always. I like your feel and timing when you play. Don't know how you get all those little notes in. You always seem to get one or two half volume notes in before your main tone or during the transitions. All that and it doesn't sound at all busy to me, just good. Guess that's why you're the Guitplayer! Hopefully someday I'll be able to play somewhere near your level.

AlChuck- Great stuff. You play really good dude! :D If I didn't know better I would have thought this backing track was tailor made for your guitar playing! :thu:

Now you all see why I had to post mine! After listening to these two it's easy to get intimidated. Mine helps bring down the average!

When compared to great players like these two it's tough to let it hang out. I mean the differences in skill level are so apparent. I know I'm still at the beginner level, but it doesn't stop me from having fun playing. Because of my limits, I tried a more melodic approach. Very different from a classic Jazzy feel, but hopefully cool in it's own way.

C'mon out everyone else and have some fun- the water is warm, beer is cold, and no one's gonna give you a hard time!

guitplayer - Your tone was great as usual. I liked the way you used octaves in certain places. As always, your bluesy touch gave it a great flavor! :thu:

James-Italy I loved your sound :cool: ! I also liked the way you kept a basic theme in you solo and played around with it. If anything, it was too short :) .

AlChuck Outstanding :thu: ! Really good feel and very fluid lines. Cool chordal things you threw in there!

Ive been out all weekend, so I havent had a chance to do anything with this. Im at work right now, and may not have a chance to try my hand at it till tomorrow night. Not that it matters, though, because I couldn't improve on any of your contributions!

Paul

Here's my take on the track. Well, it's not a 'take' actually ... I did some punch in's but oh well ... I tend to always overplay and lose the groove. Using ProTools, I added a rhythm track and a melody/solo track using my cheap 'ol Ibanez Roadstar and my Boss GT-6 with some made from scratch patches.

Hope my bit of editing on the track doesn't bend the rules :) . I was just trying to give it a longer intro.

Steevo-GuitJam1

I haven't listened to the other posts yet. Hope to later today. Gotta go! :wave:

Steevo- Awesome as Pauldil said is the best way to describe it! Very impressive work with the editing/arranging. Loved everything about it- the intro, the rhythm, the lead. The whole package is just great!!!

Pauldil- what was I thinking? LOL. Chords? I honestly have no idea what they were. Guit player listed Em and a couple of others, but I never even thought to check. What goes through my mind? Em means go to the E note on the 1st string, then move down 3 frets and play the pentatonic scale. That's all I know! :P

Thanks for the comments on my playing, I appreciate it.

Nice work everyone, all very different. I like what you did with the intro and adding a rhythm guitar part, Steevo; you have a really nice touch and vocabulary.

pauldil, I was thinking E minor - Dorian mode, and A dorian on the iv chord, that's about it...

Hey guys ! Very Cool ! :thu:

Now this is what a Guitar Forum is for (he he - not that you need my permission). ;)

I hope to get in the groove with you guys in a few months after the packing, reloc, unpacking. I guess the other thing is I'm not actually a live player anymore so anything I would contribute would kinda be sketches probably connected via Sonar edits - he he gotta start somewhere to get back into it. A few open mics might cure that!

Very Impressive !

All of you are very kind ... thanks for listening.

pauldil - I wasn't really thinking of anything in particular except over the turnaround. Since it was a little tonally ambiguous on the track, I just slapped a big 'ol B7#5#9 over it in the rhythm track to center it. Then I just played notes from an altered dominant scale over it. I know you know this, but for anyone else that might be interested, just play a Cmajor scale, flat the third and then play from the 7th degree (B) to the seventh degree and you'll hear it.

JamesItaly - I'm a sucker for melody and you've got some good stuff going on there. I like the longer lines where you leave some space to breathe. You shoulda kept going ... you never know what might pop out! (sorry Janet)

GuitPlayer - thanks for putting this up ... it was fun. That Variax sound sweet and you play it mighty fine. You and AlChuck are braver than I am by doing that clean stuff.

AlChuck - Tasty man! I really like the modal approach and all of the quartal chord work. I need to work on that ... any tips?

I spent a couple of hours jamming over the track today and recorded... this version.

I used my Tele, with two models on my Pod 2. I also used my wah followed by the Keeley compressor front end, and a little reverb from Cubasis.

I had to have a rest in two places, and I found I was a little short on chops to fill out the whole three minutes. None the less, I had a great time jamming with it, thanks again guitplayer! I hope this becomes a regular thing around here.

There are some really great versions here already, Alchucks is smooth and easy, where James brings power and hook laden melody. Steevo, yours is from another world! I wouldn't have recognised it as the song I spent two hours with just today, great work.

Tea. :thu:

Steevo,

Re the quartal harmony stuff, it's pretty straightforward.

Start on a note, say, C, on the third string. Finger the note a fourth up (F), and the one a fourth up from there (B). This is an easily graspable shape that has a wonderful ambiguous harmonic quality since the intervals are unusual.

Next, just move up to the next note in the C major scale (which by the way is D dorian mode -- in fact, it's probably more effective to look at it that way from the practical value of these clusters). OK, so D on the third string. This gives us D-G-C.

OK, just keep doing this up the scale. (It's easier at this point to go down the neck for E-A-D but up is OK too.)

When you are done you have a harmonized D dorian mode that sounds great over Dm7, and also works well with G7 (since Dm7 and G7 -- ii-V7 in the key of C - are so close in nature). For some reason they don't seem very useful anywhere else.

The neat thing is that there are only three fingerings. The E-A-D shapes occur together up or down the neck, one group of two and one group of three, so it's really easy to kick off one of these groups and slide into the others. You can also move chromatically between these and it works nicely.

Once you have the fingerings and shapes down pat, it becomes easy to transpose them to other keys.

Also, you can do the same thing stating on the G string. You get different fingerings but they are also easy to grab, and what's more, you can stack these with the lower note and get a four-note cluster in each position.

Ditto the fifth, fourth, and third strings, though they start to get a bit muddy in this register.

Lots of nice and very modern-sounding stuff hangs off these clusters...

Originally posted by Tedster:

I can draw a a doggy and a horsie.

:D

Great stuff, Steevo!

I can only draw a dog. Genetics limit my ability to draw a horse. :cry: I'm so jealous. :mad:

:D

Seriously not kidding about the horse though.

Shut up and play.

Teahead,

Thanks for your comments and post of your song.

I liked the "wha" stuff... both the "superfly" part in the beginning as well as the solo part!

Overall your tone was good! Nice job!

I'll try to post another of these backing tracks soon!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

o.k., I'm the new guy here so go easy on me...I did this in one take and didn't notice the nasty distortion my added track was suffering. I have two things to say, nice backup guit, and if this is the kinda stuff you guys do on this forum, then this forum rocks! My attempt :D

A String.

Welcome. I noticed your link didn't turn into a real "link" somehow...

Worse, I think my ISP BLOCKS geocities.com sites because when I pasted the url into my browser manually, it gave me an error.

I've had this happen with other geocity links... so I think the problem is on my side.

I wonder if there's anyone who isn't on geocities who might be willing to "rehost" his song on their site? James? Teahead?

I'm sorry, but I'm running out of available space on my server, (plus I can't download it anyway)...

I'm looking forward to it... sorry!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Archived