Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone try a felt pick?

KARL FISHER

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd think that'd rely as much on how you pick with it, as what you're picking with. It's not strange, nor anything to laugh at; try it, see if it works for you, and tell us what you think! Who knows, you might find something cool, even if it's not what you were looking for at first. Always experiment, brainstorm, try all kinds of things!

I personally can't be bribed out of riding bareback; I love playing with just my fingers, and usually get over the novelty- for me- of using a pick in short order.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

I too would be curious about the results of your experiment. However, unlike Mr. O'Shite, I prefer the aggressive attack of a heavy-guage pick.

Yeah, me too. I like the heavy picks.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Oh, if I'm gonna use a pick, it'll be a stiffy, for sure! Either a Dunlop Big Stubby in a heavier/medium range (the dark purple, somewhat translucent) or a little tear-drop shaped "mandolin" pick (my faves) that I've bent and chewed and filed into a concave shape with very smooth, rounded edges.

You can try using the side of the pick, sort of sliding up and off from the string, for less attack; done all in upstrokes with a lot of legato notes it produces the brit blues-rock tones reminiscent of EC, Peter Green, etc. circa late '60s.

Also, for violin- and organ-like tones, try either volume-knob swells (with your little finger on the knob) going up and down with each note, or a volume pedal. And, once you fine-tune the settings required, and your "touch", you can get great results for this with a noise gate that allows an attack delay and a fairly high threshold. (For example, on a Johnson J-Station, set the gate's pre-delay to 6 or 8, and the threshold to anywhere from 25 to 36.) Every first note you play will "swell" in without the initial attack; if you practice your muting and damping, you can manipulate this quite easily, and still get "normal" notes in-between. There have been several "Slow-Gear"-type pedals on the market that do this sort of thing, also good for simulating "backwards" sounds.

A healthy amount of reverb and/or delay helps accentuate the swells, too.

I guess I should have been more specific. Even with all the slide work I have done in the last four or more years, I nsill can't play the "Freebird" slide work with no pick noise.

Gary Rossington used to do the slide work with more distortion than he has of late. Even with a fairly clean amp setting, you can rarely hear any pick noise. I usually just turn my Tone knob down to about "6", and that gets rid of most of the noise.

Karl

Skynyrd fan forever!

Huh-huh, he said Wang... Dr. Wang! It is I, Cornholio, to see you, Dr. Wang! Huh-huh!

Are you sure that you're not making too much over a little "pick noise", Karl? Lots of times folks obsess over things in their sound that others wouldn't notice.

I'd figure that it's most likely the way you pick the strings; but, then, the whole pick-thing is what ultimately made me stay almost exclusively in fingerstyle-land. I just like the tone, and the control, better that way!

It's hard to work this kind of thing out with a keyboard and a monitor; if you ever take even one lesson from a particularly good teacher, be sure to go over this with them. And then be sure to fill us in, as well!

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Huh-huh, he said Wang... Dr. Wang! It is I, Cornholio, to see you, Dr. Wang! Huh-huh!

Are you sure that you're not making too much over a little "pick noise", Karl? Lots of times folks obsess over things in their sound that others wouldn't notice.

I'd figure that it's most likely the way you pick the strings; but, then, the whole pick-thing is what ultimately made me stay almost exclusively in fingerstyle-land. I just like the tone, and the control, better that way!

It's hard to work this kind of thing out with a keyboard and a monitor; if you ever take even one lesson from a particularly good teacher, be sure to go over this with them. And then be sure to fill us in, as well!

I don't think Wes Montgomery "felt" a pick for most of his career :D
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

I've always assotiated felt picks with bass guitar. So, if you're playing slide bass(Hey, anyone ever try THAT?)it might be cool.

Seriously, years ago I tried playing my guitar with a felt pick for kicks, and the result was poor indeed. Perhaps if I had worked more with it, I may have improved, but I'll never know...

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

"I don't think Wes Montgomery "felt" a pick for most of his career" :D

>ba-dump-bump-CRASSHH<

Hey, and what about hitch-hikin'? I bet he could hitch a ride like there's no tommorow!! But, some'd say he was all thumbs...

>ba-dump-bump-CRASSHH<

Yeah, Wes was in the bareback club!

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

"I don't think Wes Montgomery "felt" a pick for most of his career" :D

>ba-dump-bump-CRASSHH<

Hey, and what about hitch-hikin'? I bet he could hitch a ride like there's no tommorow!! But, some'd say he was all thumbs...

>ba-dump-bump-CRASSHH<

Yeah, Wes was in the bareback club!

Ever try to play some of Wes' SINGLE note solos with your thumb? Octaves are one thing, and I can do that fairly well, picking fast single notes like that, well "fa-get abou it".
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

I tried a thumb pick years ago when I was starting out. Could'nt get the hang of it, but then again I was just starting to play.

Maybe I am making too much of pick noise, no one else has ever said they thought anything of it.

Thanks, Karl

Skynyrd fan forever!

Pick attack is not apparent in most slide playing I've heard, w/the exception of some Johnny Winter stuff. I think most slide players are finger-pickers, at least when playing slide.

My technique is pretty much "pick-and-fingers" anyway. I've found slide parts to mostly be about the sliding and not about a flurry of notes, so I just use the fingers. I can keep up with most slide passages this way. ;)

Regarding felt picks, well, try it and see. Back when I was first starting out (which was on bass, BTW) I used felt picks. If your hands sweat like mine, they're okay for about three songs, then they get too "flabby" until they dry out again.

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Karl- how often, or how likely, might you wind up in or near Watkins Glen, NY?

If ever you might, PM me and lemmee know. I'd love to see and hear this "pick-attack" problem in real life! I might be able to help you out, you might be able to help me out, we might not have Jack-$#!t to help each other with, but a little guitar playing and perhaps a beer or a soda would still be cool. Just don't make a special trip, unless Grove City is a Hell of a lot closer than I think it is! Seriously, PM me if you get the opportunity sometime.

(This is NOT meant to be patronizing or condescending in any way, you can probably play circles around me; but I do sometimes get little insights into people's playing, when I can watch and hear them, and they've explained a "problem". Anyways, anything remotely like that is damn near impossible over the 'net!)

Ya know, something else to think about is a leather pick.

Go find your own self an old heavy belt at a thrift store, or some harness leather.

I trace a pattern out of the Dunlop picks I like and cut it out. Then I use a rasp to smooth and finish the shape and edges. The taper is done with a rasp too, to the flex I like. I've made several with various tapers to get different sound.

Try it out. I got the idea from Graham Henderson who lives in Esperance, Australia. He makes 'em too.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Good idea, Dak!

I'd imagine that you can flex the pick with your fingers as you play, and vary its stiffness.

Waddya use your leather picks for?

Any recorded hidepickin' among your clips here on the Forum?

Good idea, Dak!

I'd imagine that you can flex the pick with your fingers as you play, and vary its stiffness.

Waddya use your leather picks for?

Any recorded hidepickin' among your clips here on the Forum?

Nothing I've posted previously has the leather pick. I normally play with fingers & not a pick.

In actuality the leather pick is very close to a finger picking sound if you have the finger flesh in the mix.

Here's a short take on Lonesome Whistle I tossed out tonight. There're a lot of clanks, one too many hits on the scotch/rocks probably, but then again, maybe not...

Anyway, you'll hear the leather pick, along with the fingers against the soundboard & the breathing.

Just a bit of compression on the guitar track & some limiting on the end mix.

Oh by the way, I use the pick when I want to dig a little deeper than I can with my fingers and don't want that pick sound.

I'm getting more adept at the fingers though so seldom use a pick for anything except strumming.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Syracuse is roughly two hours from here, give or take a little.

Watkins Glen is at the southern tip of Seneca Lake, in the heart of Finger Lakes country.

There are a few Forummites in the Rochester area, too...

Caevan, I used to live outside of Rochester, Pittsford suburbs, near Mendon Ponds Park. I'll PM you closer to the time we head to the Finfgerlakes.

I hadnt thought of a leather pick. My friend and I jammed again last night, first time back together in months. I personally could'nt even hear any pick or slide noise when I was playing. Maybe it's just noticeable when no ather instruments are playin.

Skynyrd fan forever!

Originally posted by KARL FISHER:

I guess I should have been more specific. Even with all the slide work I have done in the last four or more years, I nsill can't play the "Freebird" slide work with no pick noise.

Gary Rossington used to do the slide work with more distortion than he has of late. Even with a fairly clean amp setting, you can rarely hear any pick noise. I usually just turn my Tone knob down to about "6", and that gets rid of most of the noise.

Karl

have you messed around with different slides? i use heavy porceline with a very heavy pick through a tube screamer without any undesirable artifacts.

Archived