Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Jazz CD featuring

Compact Diss

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

check out the stuff Wes recorded with riverside. pretty much anything else is garbage. a good place to start is "boss guitar" or "a dynamic new sound in jazz."

check out "idle moments" by grant green, it's essential cool jazz.

"forever gold" by george benson has jaw dropping good, i mean sick (sorry ted) guitar playing.

there is some great guitar playing on records by organ trios, like "crash" by jack mcduff w/ kenny burrell. or the jimmy smith meets wes montgomery.

good luck :thu:

I recommend Scofield's earlier stuff, when it was just the trio. Bar Talk, Shinola, Out Like a Light, as well as his more recent stuff, like What We Do, A Go Go, and Up All Night. I really HATE his mid-80s fusiony stuff. He's better than that. I got to see him live in... 1991, I think it was, and I've been in love since then. :D

The problem is, jazz has gone into so many now acceptable forms, that rating a "jazz" guitarist can be broken down into too many arenas. A jazz guitarist can come from many sources; fusion, swing, big band, "cool" combo, etc.

Some of my favorites cover all this ground. McLaughlin, Metheny, Montgomery(whose "elevator" phase began after he found crossover success with "Sunny"), Christian, Grant Green, Kenny Burrell, Ed Bickert, Earl Klugh, Larry Carlton...

For me, you'd have to be a bit more specific.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

This is going to sound like heresy on this board, but, truth is, 95% of the jazz guitar recordings I've heard bore me to tears (one exception that leaps to mind is Django-I love Django). A lot of jazz guitarists who go on about tone kill theirs by rolling off all of the treble and playing with no edge or fire in their music. Also, frequently the solos go off on irrevelant tangents and have nothing to do with the song; you could drop any one of their solos in any one of their songs. I like jazz, but give me a good piano player like Bill Evans, Horace Silver, or Vince Guaraldi, or someone who knows his way around a horn, like Miles, Bird, or Diz.

Allan Holdsworth's "ALL NIGHT WRONG".

I love that one. Live, with no synths, no excessive effects, and no overdubs. Recorded direct to a 2 track digital recorder from the soundboard. Allan plays both rhythms and solos effortlessly. With only the bass of Jimmy Johnson, and Chad Wackerman's drums to back him up, Allan's at his musical finest here. No compromises, no bullshit. :thu:

I'm just not a Jazz cat. I'm more song oriented in my listening, and I'm not much on instrumental music. I can't even listen to classical music like Beethoven or Stravinski for long.

Swing is cool, and about the only instrumental music I can listen to for extended periods of time, with the only possible exception being surf.

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Archived