Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on Thoughts about Thoughts?

Funk Jazz

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A couple of guys were sitting down to lunch on their construction job when Leroy asks Willie what the smartest thing in the world is. Willie thinks for a second or two, then says,"a thermos".

Leroy says," a thermos!? Why would a thermos be the smartest thing in the world?"

"In the summertime, when it's hot outside, that thermos keeps my ice tea nice and cold. Then, in the wintertime, when it's freezin' out here, it keeps my chicken noodle soup hot as when I put it in there." Willie replied.

"How does that make it the smartest thing in the world?" asked Leroy.

Willie said, "How do it know?" :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I think I'm one of the greatest guitar players in the world.

Well, if "sick" means "great"...then "great" must mean "shitty"??? Or something. :D

BTW...if you still haven't seen this...go over to the bass forum. Maybe it's just bass players that use this. Sounds dumb to me, though. Or maybe "dumb" means "smart".

That Einstein guy...boy, was he ever dumb!!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

if you are driving the speed of light and you turn on your headlights, does anything happen? :confused:

If you're driving at the speed of light and the headlights are on, the light won't get ahead of the car. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

"is it possible," you might ask yourself, "to enjoy many forms of music, and have the humility to admit that great musicianship can exist outside your chosen idiom?"

:thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

The rich are the most discriminated-against minority in the world. Openly or

covertly, everybody hates the rich because, openly or covertly, everybody

envies the rich. Me, I love the rich. Somebody has to love them. Sure, a lot

o' rich people are assholes, but believe me, a lot o' poor people are

assholes, too, and an asshole with money can at least pay for his own drinks.

-tom robbins

if you are driving the speed of light and you turn on your headlights, does anything happen? :confused:

And for that matter, do you have to stop for red lights?

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

How far would it take my 5,000 pound pickup truck to slow down from the speed of light to stop for that red light, if the current braking system were applied? Sounds like a calculus problem to me. :D

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by bluestrat:

How far would it take my 5,000 pound pickup truck to slow down from the speed of light to stop for that red light, if the current braking system were applied? Sounds like a calculus problem to me. :D
And, of course, at that speed, a red light would not appear to be red. If I remember my physics properly (ok, what are the chances of that! :P ), the "red" light would appear to be blue...

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Reality is subjective, and there's an unenlightened tendency in this culture to regard something as 'important' only if it is sober and severe.

Sure, and still you're right about your Cheerful Dumb, only they're not so much happy as lobotomized.

But your Gloomy Smart are just as ridiculous. When you're unhappy, you get to pay a lot of attention to yourself. And you get to take yourself oh so very seriously.

Your truly happy people, which is to say, your people who truly like themselves, they don't think about themselves very much.

Your unhappy person resents it when you try to cheer him up, because that means he has to stop dwellin' on himself and start payin' attention to the universe. Unhappiness is the ultimate form o' self-indulgence.

- tom robbins

Originally posted by bluestrat:

Actually, the problem is moot, 'cuz if by some impossible means you DID accellerate your 5000lb truck (or 5lb Tonka, for that matter) to the speed of light, it's apparent mass would be infinite, and the entire universe would collapse into it, along w/that red light.

OTOH, anything you do if you were able to somehow travel a the speed of light would take infinitely long, because time would stop for you.

The speed of light is one of those magical physical properties that is always just out of reach. It is the asymtote to which the hyperbolic curve of your velocity can approach, and approach, and approach, but never

quite

reach. :bor:

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

• 11 months later...
Originally posted by daklander:

If you're driving at the speed of light and the headlights are on, the light won't get ahead of the car. :D
So if a car plus driver had negligable mass, and is travelling at the speed of light, would the headlight beam not just be travellng at twice the speed of light. Relative to the constant velocity of the body, this is still just the speed of light. provided its in a vaccuum to eliminate air resistance effects on the photons and .. :bor:

thoughts about thoughts on Neil McGuitars thoughts.. travelling into a red light at the speed of light you would see a shorter wavelenth light (due to the doppler effect) so looking at this spectrum here... is it not possible that provided your trasvelling fast enough into visible light, it will appear as x-rays relative to the observer.

http://www.yorku.ca/eye/spectrum.gif

thats one way to design x-ray specs.

"George, if you were traveling at the speed of light, and you started to scream ("ARRGGGHHH!"), would your head explode?"

Stanley Spadowsky,

UHF

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Dave da Dude said on 01/18/2004 at 07:58am, Groan :rolleyes:
I still stand by my statement! :P

... and, imho, if you are traveling the speed of light; you can't see the color of the traffic signal, so what difference does it make what color it is? Besides, you'll be through the intersection so fast you won't hit anything! :D

I gotta get me one of those :cool:

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived