Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thoughts on Thoughts about Thoughts?

Funk Jazz

They say that time stops at the speed of light. I have a hard time accepting this. These calculations were conceived when it was observed that the early astronauts would lose a fraction of a second from their watches after a return from space. After many tests, it was assumed that the faster you go, the slower things become. This makes sense. My problem is that these calculations lead to the assumption that, once you hit the speed of light, time has come to a complete stop.

This works mathematically, but science has a way of adding and removing numbers when things don't quite work out.

This would lead one to think that there must be an alternate solution. Science has proven that there are other dimensions (Although due to the previously mentioned numbers thing, they can't quite decided on how many). It could be assumed that each dimension is achieved through a shift in matter based on the speed it is travelling. Therefor the process of reaching the speed of light would bring you to the slowest speed in the next dimension. From that point you could continue to speed up. Of course this dimension shifting would also be true if you slow a particle down to absolute zero. This is the magical "wall" for scientists at the other end of the spectrum. Slowing bellow absolute zero so that the particles have stopped moving may result in that same particle moving at the speed of light in a lesser dimension.

If you think about it, everything in our world is understood by observing or measuring it. According to our calculations, light should not be moving and yet it does. This all adds up to the fact that light moves at it's own speed without being stopped because we are observing it from our dimension although it exists in another one.

If you approached a stop light at the speed of light, you may very well find a whole new group of cars storming past you, irritated at your insanely slow speed. :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave da Dude:

... and, imho, if you are traveling the speed of light; you can't see the color of the traffic signal, so what difference does it make what color it is? Besides, you'll be through the intersection so fast you won't hit anything! :D

Or you'll hit it really really REALLY hard and send it spinning across the space time continuum.

Originally posted by Base:

If a tree fell on top of Britney, and there was no one around to hear it...

would anybody care...?

Well if I fell on top of Britney and there was no one around to hear.....

I'm sure it's be in the tabloids by morning :D

I think (a dangerous endeavor I know)that the speed of light thing would result in the beam of light travelling at twice the speed of light because it would be relative to its reference which is not stationary.

It's like driving down the road standing in the back of a pickup truck shooting at the deer running up the road in front of you... I'm certain the projectile will assume some of the trucks speed and result in an increased speed. (albeit that example introduces factors such as friction, gravity, beer.. so we'll ignore those that exist in outer space like the gravitational pull of celestial bodies that bends and potentially slow light as well as other gasses and trash in space too)

just a thought :rolleyes:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Hickory dickory doc mmmmm I still like this

one"is it possible," you might ask yourself, "to enjoy many forms of music, and have the humility to admit that great musicianship can exist outside your chosen idiom?"

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

"is it possible," you might ask yourself, "to enjoy many forms of music, and have the humility to admit that great musicianship can exist outside your chosen idiom?"

:thu:

Not for that metal drummer whose lead singer bagged out of the band to do American Idol last night.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

I still like this

one "is it possible," you might ask yourself, "to enjoy many forms of music, and have the humility to admit that great musicianship can exist outside your chosen idiom?"

:wave:

heh heh, i forgot about that one... it's a talent to be a totally sarcastic asshole and clever at the same time ;)

Archived