Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson Les Paul Faded

kitaristi0

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

There's a BIG sticker on the case saying "Made In Canada". I kid thee not. Even the case for my GB10 sez "hecho en Canada".

I didn't say you were lying. Only saying I never saw a "Made In Canada" sticker on any of the cases I came into contact with. That may be relatively new. Or, it may never have mattered to anyone I spoke to.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

There's a BIG sticker on the case saying "Made In Canada". I kid thee not. Even the case for my GB10 sez "hecho en Canada".

I didn't say you were lying. Only saying I never saw a "Made In Canada" sticker on any of the cases I came into contact with. That may be relatively new. Or, it may never have mattered to anyone I spoke to.
My oldest Gibson is from 1992. I had a 1991 ES335 who's case was also from Canada. This aint a new deal by any means.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

• 4 weeks later...

Well,...better late than never.

I tried the Gibson Les Paul faded, the Epiphone Les Paul Standard. For my money and the features offered I went with the Epiphone. (but that is me). My advice (for what its worth) play what feels good in your hands, Gibson, Epiphone, whatever. Eventually I will also own a Gibson Les Paul, but for now, my EpiLP does what I want it to.

If it looks good, you'll play it.

If it sounds good, you'll play it.

If it feels good in your hands, you'll play it.

After all,...isn't that what counts,..??

IMHO

"live to play, play to live"

WickedWishes

Do whatever it takes to get a guitar you can live with, and part of that means: stay away from the faded models. They are crap, no matter how good they sound. It's just a "good" idea gone bad, cause it wasn't so good after all. I mean, it's the guitarplayer who's supposed to "fade" the guitar, not the workshop.

Anyways, i've been playing Epiphones for the past 15 years now, and they just seem to get better and better. My best bet would be an Epiphone-SG or, (as you suggest) Les Paul. Go for the model with Grover mechanics and original Gison USA pickups.

I own an SG and wouldn't part with it for anything in the world, except for Keith Richard's Ampegs Dan Armstrong model, maybe.

Good luck

Born to raise hell

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same SG as Frank is holding in the picture. I got it 25 years ago and is has a cracked neck (common problem with these) I won't repair it, I've never cleaned it, I change the strings regularly, It's a mess, it's perfect. It never fails to make music when it's in my hands and while it's not underwear, it's a part of me now. Look at any instrument as an extension of yourself regardless of price or image and see how it feels and responds to your input. Staying in tune, Not too heavy, Tone matching style (I still don't know what tone is. I thought it was that dial on the cheesy radio in the kitchen.)

I have a pile of guitars and I make them too but I always pick up that old SG.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

I have the same SG as Frank is holding in the picture. I got it 25 years ago and is has a cracked neck (common problem with these) I won't repair it, I've never cleaned it, I change the strings regularly, It's a mess, it's perfect. It never fails to make music when it's in my hands and while it's not underwear, it's a part of me now. Look at any instrument as an extension of yourself regardless of price or image and see how it feels and responds to your input. Staying in tune, Not too heavy, Tone matching style (I still don't know what tone is. I thought it was that dial on the cheesy radio in the kitchen.)

I have a pile of guitars and I make them too but I always pick up that old SG.

Welcome Shoes! I know what you mean about your SG. I have a Tennessean I have bonded with over the last 23 years and in spite of its limitations it always feels like a friend when I pick it up.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by shitfire:

Do whatever it takes to get a guitar you can live with, and part of that means: stay away from the faded models. They are crap, no matter how good they sound. It's just a "good" idea gone bad, cause it wasn't so good after all. I mean, it's the guitarplayer who's supposed to "fade" the guitar, not the workshop...

Sounds like someone has "Gibson-envy".

There's nothing wrong with Epi's, per se, but there's nothing wrong with Faded LP's either. I wouldn't buy a Faded LP because of it's looks. I will buy one because I've played many and have yet to find a bad one in the bunch. They've played better than most more expensive LP's I've played. What's your beef against them? They are one of the best values out there, bar none.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Dropkick Murphy's, a great Boston band use Epiphone Les Paul's and their music kicks ass.

It's not so much the guitar but it's how you play. Jimmy Page could pick up my $350.00 MIM Strat and could make sounds I couldn't even come close to reproducing.

I have a Faded SG, it is US made, and I think it is a sweet guitar. I play lefty so I don't see a lot of guitars that I can use, and very few Gibsons. I really like the Faded SG, and I'd imagine the Faded Les Pauls are also good guitars.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

• 1 month later...
Take a look at Heritage Guitars before you buy a Gibson. Heritage was started by ex-Gibson employees in the Kalamazoo shop that didn't want to move to Nashville. The whole company is just 18 people and they REALLY care about making great guitars. They hold thier or increase in value as they age too. The guitars are nearly entirely handmade for 1/3 the cost of a comparable Gibson. I have a Les Paul style and a 335 style and they are unbelievable.
It's not a matter of life and death, it's much mroe important than that.

Originally posted by TheRelic:

Take a look at Heritage Guitars before you buy a Gibson. Heritage was started by ex-Gibson employees in the Kalamazoo shop that didn't want to move to Nashville. The whole company is just 18 people and they REALLY care about making great guitars. They hold thier or increase in value as they age too. The guitars are nearly entirely handmade for 1/3 the cost of a comparable Gibson. I have a Les Paul style and a 335 style and they are unbelievable.

Search the forum and you'll find this information in many places. Now, show me an inexpensive Heritage and we can argue apples to apples. The faded Gibsons are intended as a way for those of limited budget to buy a Gibson. Heritage makes fine instruments, but to my knowledge they have nothing that competes with the Gibson faded line.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

i play a gibson faded sg, and it's the most amazing guitar i've ever played. if the faded les paul is anywhere near as good, i'd definitely reccommend it. i'd ask your guitar store to order it in worn brown, though. it looks a bazillion times better than the worn cherry. my only other advice with the faded series is to BUY NEW TUNERS IMMEDIATELY. it may be because i often smack our singer in the head with my guitar, but the tuning was always got kinda funky after a while, especially whenever i'd use a capo. when i replaced the stock tuners with grovers, the problem went away. so buy the faded les paul worn brown, spend $50-70 on a decent set o' tuners, and enjoy the best guitar for the money.

http://www.greeleyestates.net/images/sg.JPG

I've got the Les Paul and the DC with the P-90's

They were both glowingly reviewed buy UK GUITAR BUYER

magazine last summer

The first thing that struck me about these

guitars out of the box is how good and full bodied

they sound before you plug in

The DC in particular has a ringing acoustic quality

that jumps out from the fingerboard.

Also both bridge and neck P-90s are staggeringly hot.

The Les Paul sounds better than many Standards and Customs

I've tried .. The mahogany used must be premium quality.

Anyway , I've had them barely 2 months and I've already rung

two killer tunes each out of them

Thanks Gibson.

Give me a break!

Originally posted by GreeleyEstates:

i play a gibson faded sg, and it's the most amazing guitar i've ever played. if the faded les paul is anywhere near as good, i'd definitely reccommend it. i'd ask your guitar store to order it in worn brown, though. it looks a bazillion times better than the worn cherry. my only other advice with the faded series is to BUY NEW TUNERS IMMEDIATELY. it may be because i often smack our singer in the head with my guitar, but the tuning was always got kinda funky after a while, especially whenever i'd use a capo. when i replaced the stock tuners with grovers, the problem went away. so buy the faded les paul worn brown, spend $50-70 on a decent set o' tuners, and enjoy the best guitar for the money.

http://www.greeleyestates.net/images/sg.JPG

Did you get rid of the mesa for the Buddha?

splain yourself ricky

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by GreeleyEstates:

Right on every point here for me. But, I'd go for some locking tuners and a graphite nut (maybe) like Erik of Cottonmouth DN . And, sorry, I gotta pop a cherry. (No offense. ;) )

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Did you get rid of the mesa for the Buddha?

splain yourself ricky

nah. our producer's band opened for us at that show, and we just used their cabinets to expedite set up times. i have a tonemaster head, and a budda cab. the other guitar player plays the budda superdrive II head and a fender tonemaster 4x12 cab. we just swap em, cuz the sounds' better for some reason. someday, my head will be reunited with it's rightful cabinet!

• 1 month later...

I don't know about the Faded Les Paul, but I do have a Faded Flying V, and it is bloody wonderful. It looks great, balances nicely onthe strap, and I think the thinner "faded" finish allows the wood to breathe and resonate better than the heavier glossy types. The only gripe I could make is that the neck is s little thinner than I usually like, but it's not a deal-breaker by any means.I can't say enough good about it. I always wanted a V; the first one I saw was when Dave Davies played his with the Kinks on an afternoon Dick Clark show called "Where The Action Is". Then later, I saw Andy Powell with Wishbone Ash playing a '67 V, and I was hooked. The thing was, it had to be a Gibson; call me a snob, but I just had to have a "real" one. The Faded V cost me about half of what a regular '67 reissue V would have, and it's even American made. In all ways, it is a genuine dream come true for me.

What I would like to get now is one of the Faded Les Paul Special double cuts with P-90s. I got to play one the other day and I loved it. Ah, so many guitars, so little money...

Vande

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived