Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gibson Les Paul Faded

kitaristi0

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

(Running away with kitaristi0's thread)

Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy-

I never read or heard that before, that some '58 Les Paul "standards" were made with korina (and maple) instead of mahogany. That's very interesting!

Wouldn't that tend to bring out a little more upper-midrange and bite and definition?

Also, are you talking about '58 "sunbursts" or "goldtops", or some of both here? Not that it's too terribly important, just curious!

The '58 korina LP had a lovely flametop, at least the one picture I saw. To be honest, I'm not sure Gibson really knew a korina LP would turn out so desirable at the time.

I saw one recent Custom Shop all korina LP, that was stunning. Most korina is very straight grained, nothing really special to look at. The korina top of this LP was a fantastic quilted finish, done up in a natural or very light goldish-amber stain. $5500!!! On the other hand, who knows how much that might be worth in 20 years? Of course if rap takes completely over, nobody will want great guitars anymore...........

Have you recorded an MP3 today?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the fact that the Faded Pauls were lighter than normal Les Pauls. I also prefer the flat-top that the Faded Paul had. The color (Faded Black) was also really cool. I'm about 85% sure that I'm going to buy the Faded Les Paul.

They are US Made.

A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

Guys... If you have a question about Gibson products, although there is value in looking for consumer experiences, the best immediate source of information is just a toll-free phone call away. (For U.S. and Canadian residents, anyway. I didn't follow the changes Gibson made to int'l sales. You may or may not have a toll free number.)

Just Call 1-800-4GIBSON. Gibson Customer support can quickly and accurately tell you if the instrument in question is made in the U.S., etc. They'll even inform you about vintage features, etc. if you ask.

Several of the reps have been there for 5 years or more. I know, because I worked there 3 years ago, and recently walked in to say hello.

Again, I'm not trying to steer you away from gaining knowledge from Caevan, Bluestrat, and many others here. But I see a lot of speculation and outright incorrect information from other posters about Gibsons that could easily be rectified by a quick call to Gibson's Customer support. ;)

BTW - I went to Gibson's Valley Arts Guitar store, here in Nashville, last summer and played the Faded LP double-cut w/P-90's. I'm smitten. Although it is a really stripped down model, I actually prefer it to many of the more expensive Gibsons I've played. As far as I'm concerned, they've succeeded in the task of making an inexpensive Gibson worth buying that will bring many consumers back for a more expensive instrument, over time.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yes thanks fantasticsound. I checked out Gibsons homepage for the tech specs on the guitar. I just wanted to see how well the guitar was doing out in the field you know. And so far its looking excellent.
A duck-pond, a museum, and a red hunting hat.

Understood. It's questions regarding the manufacturing location, etc., that I was referring to.

As you already know, questions of real world use, playability and timbre are best answered by playing the model in question and asking as many knowledgable folks as possible. That's where the forum has its' strengths. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by kitaristi0:

Just like to infrom you that I did actually buy the Faded Les Paul and it plays like a charm. Thanks for all of your advice.

Got any pic's?love ta see it. :wave:
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Green657:

Here's a pic of the one I bought...

http://images.misupply.com/products/full/Gibson/93768.jpg

Nice one!I always liked those,I really like

this one.One of the best neck's I've played. http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/LesPaul/images/cutaway-guitar.jpg

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by DARKLAVA:

Nice one!I always liked those,I really like

this one.One of the best neck's I've played. http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/LesPaul/images/cutaway-guitar.jpg

That'd be a great choice for bar brawlin' blues! It can make a nasty sound with all the controls maxed. Nastier than any Tele, I tell ya! Also good for classic punk rock a la Ramones, Exploited, etc.

OK, it's cool for quieter shades too. :cool:

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

If I want a gold top Les Paul with P-90s, I may enjoy my gold top with humbuckers, and my gold top with mini-buckers, but eventually I'm going to buy the Les Paul gold top with P-90s. From a financial point of view, I can reach that goal sooner by saving the money for it, than by spending that money on other guitars.

Hmm. I have a gold top Les Paul with P-90's. I always knew I wanted one. But I could only afford to have one guitar at a time and it took me 5 years to save up and search for the one I wanted. Meanwhile I still needed a guitar.

I bought a 70's Les Paul Custom Black Beauty with humbuckers. No it wasn't my Gold Top, but it was a very nice guitar, I only paid $500 for it used (this was in 1980), and I eventually sold it for the same 500 bucks that I paid for it and put that toward my Gold Top. So I lost nothing, I had a fine guitar for 5 years and it would have sucked if I'd not had a guitar (or played a total cheap pawn shop special) until I had enough for what I wanted. :D

Congrats on your new purchase kitaristi0!

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by bpark@prorec.com:

If I want a gold top Les Paul with P-90s, I may enjoy my gold top with humbuckers, and my gold top with mini-buckers, but eventually I'm going to buy the Les Paul gold top with P-90s. From a financial point of view, I can reach that goal sooner by saving the money for it, than by spending that money on other guitars.

Hmm. I have a gold top Les Paul with P-90's. I always knew I wanted one. But I could only afford to have one guitar at a time and it took me 5 years to save up and search for the one I wanted. Meanwhile I still needed a guitar.

I bought a 70's Les Paul Custom Black Beauty with humbuckers. No it wasn't my Gold Top, but it was a very nice guitar, I only paid $500 for it used (this was in 1980), and I eventually sold it for the same 500 bucks that I paid for it and put that toward my Gold Top. So I lost nothing, I had a fine guitar for 5 years and it would have sucked if I'd not had a guitar (or played a total cheap pawn shop special) until I had enough for what I wanted. :D

Congrats on your new purchase kitaristi0!

So Lee, I've got one of these I almost never play because of my korina SG Standard. They're really pretty but the body contours aren't great for "sitdown" play.

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/lespaul/images/lps2ta.jpg

Friend of a friend showed up at one of our Jam sessions with his brand new faded...Superb Guitar...though the neck was a little too rounded for my tastes (My old 74 Deluxe had the thinner 60's neck) But it plyed as well as any new $2000 LP.

LynnG[/QB]

I have to disagree.Before I bought my les paul custom,i tried out every les paul out there.The quality on anthing less than a standard is really down the drain.I'm sure one in 2000 plays alright,but the real les pauls have more quality.Also,real les pauls are american made.

Les Pauls Rule!!

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

the faded series IS american made. :D

Oh 'Zan, do you like these as well? I must confess I hardly play mine due to the korina SG. Still they sure are pretty and cost about 20% of a PRS Santana II. Sometimes Gibson does have some real good deals, these are still selling for $1400, 5 years after I bought mine.

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

Some of the 1958 Les Paul Standards were made from korina wood, with a maple top. Those are perhaps the most valuable Les Pauls of all time. .

Where did you find this nugget of info ?.....I'd love to know....

:)

J. Eliot Howe (Chief Gear-Pimp)

Guitaravenue L.L.C.

Originally posted by Geetar:

Some of the 1958 Les Paul Standards were made from korina wood, with a maple top. Those are perhaps the most valuable Les Pauls of all time. .

Where did you find this nugget of info ?.....I'd love to know....

:)

The Gibson website, when the Custom Shop was making Class 5 Les Pauls in korina. Thems wuz pretty guitars for $5500. Really nice ones.

Gibson doesn't make alot of korina guitars, and they tend to be very valuable. My korina SG has just about tripled in value since I bought it in 1995.

Originally posted by Geetar:

What did they say at Gibson...that some 'bursts made between '58 and '60 were made using Korina ?- this is REALLY wierd.

Actually I think the korina bodies were only made in 1958, if memory serves.

Originally posted by Patrick Cronin:

I have to disagree.Before I bought my les paul custom,i tried out every les paul out there.The quality on anthing less than a standard is really down the drain.I'm sure one in 2000 plays alright,but the real les pauls have more quality.Also,real les pauls are american made.

That may be your experience, but it's not at all accurate to mine.

I've played about a dozen Faded LP's, in TV yellow and cherry. I've yet to find a bad one in the bunch. That's across 3 different stores, too.

The quality of instruments on the line is altogether similar. That's not to say the appointments of a Custom aren't sweet, but I'd just as soon have a Standard or Studio... with the same pickups, of course! (P-90's, BTW)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by Patrick Cronin:

That may be your experience, but it's not at all accurate to mine.

I've played about a dozen Faded LP's, in TV yellow and cherry. I've yet to find a bad one in the bunch. That's across 3 different stores, too.

The quality of instruments on the line is altogether similar. That's not to say the appointments of a Custom aren't sweet, but I'd just as soon have a Standard or Studio... with the same pickups, of course! (P-90's, BTW)

Actually ALL Gibsons are American made. Cases made in Canada though.

Some people think Epiphony = Gibson. Sorry, taint so.

Originally posted by Guitarzan:

the faded series IS american made. :D

Oh 'Zan, do you like these as well? I must confess I hardly play mine due to the korina SG. Still they sure are pretty and cost about 20% of a PRS Santana II. Sometimes Gibson does have some real good deals, these are still selling for $1400, 5 years after I bought mine.

yep, i tried the faded sg and really liked it. the neck wasn't too hard to get into. i didn't care for the moon inlays. would rather see the trapezoids.

You're telling me this for what reason?? I worked for Gibson Customer Support. You may as well be telling me my address. ;)

Who gave you the idea their cases come from Canada. I won't divulge the case company by name, but I can assure you they are a U.S. company with manufacturing in this country.

BTW - Guitarzan already pointed out that the faded series is American.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

You're telling me this for what reason?? I worked for Gibson Customer Support. You may as well be telling me my address. ;)

Who gave you the idea their cases come from Canada. I won't divulge the case company by name, but I can assure you they are a U.S. company with manufacturing in this country.

BTW - Guitarzan already pointed out that the faded series is American.

When was the last time you bought a new Gibson? All my Gibson cases say "Made In Canada", including my Custom Shop Super 5's case.

Must be an unlisted factory, because the manufacturer makes no mention of any factories outside the U.S. Not actually surprising, considering the pains Gibson goes to hiding the identity of this vendor. ;)

{edit: Correction. They mention numerous national and international strategic partnerships on the web page. Doesn't say where, though. End edit}

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Must be an unlisted factory, because the manufacturer makes no mention of any factories outside the U.S. Not actually surprising, considering the pains Gibson goes to hiding the identity of this vendor. ;)

{edit: Correction. They mention numerous national and international strategic partnerships on the web page. Doesn't say where, though. End edit}

There's a BIG sticker on the case saying "Made In Canada". I kid thee not. Even the case for my GB10 sez "hecho en Canada".

Archived