Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite ad music

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Here’s our jingle for Goldfish We wrote a song for Goldfish The wholesome snack that smiles back until you bite their heads off!" http://www.pfgoldfish.com/facts/jingle.html That's my favorite.
Tiny G

The VW Beetle Convertible, with "Mr. Blue Sky" redone by Jeff Lynne. I like it better than the original version. Seems like that commercial is never on. I think I've only seen it twice.

If you've got a passion for fashion, If you've got a craving for savings, Take the wheel of your automobile. And get on down to... Ideal! That hasn't been on in the NY area since the 70s when I was a wee lad, and haven't been able to get it out of my head since...

[quote]Originally posted by Anon-a-Monster: [b]I was kinda partial to "Whoever You Are" by Geggy Tah, in the Mercedes C class commercial.[/b][/quote]Hey Anon, could you check your pm's if you get a chance. thanks :wave:

Want mix/tracking feedback? Checkout "The Fade"-

www.grand-designs.cc/mmforum/index.php

The soon-to-be home of the "12 Bar-Blues Project"

Saturn Ion commercial of the usual group of teens going through the neighborhood full of swings, see-saws, etc. Tune is called "We've Been Had" by The Walkmen. Real cool tune....different. Here's the link. Check out the whole tune. That out-of- tune piano is wild. [url=http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/536/the_walkmen.html]"We\'ve Been Had"[/url]

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

There's a few using tunes I'm not familiar with. I spend so much attention to the music, I don't notice just whats being advertised. But I DO notice James Brown's "Sex Machine" in some car ad. Again, noticing the music more than the car it's shilling. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

My jingles! But, you would only hear them if you live in Rochester. As a part-time commercial music producer, I really hate the trend of using songs in commercials. OK, I partially hate it because it's been so successful. Mitsubishi and VW revived brands that were left for dead using great music. The E-Bay spot is hilarious. Is there any music more perfect for Jamaica Tourism than Bob Marley's "One Love"? A favorite was the now gone e-Toys use of the late Hawaiian singer IZ's "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" (also heard in the ER episode when Mark Green dies). But, for a few good uses, you have to live with hearing a James Brown tune in a laxative commercial. Pigknuckes: that was a Sony corporate image spot, and I think the singer is Alana Davis (it's Alana something). Music made for commercials? I like the Mazda "Zoom Zoom" campaign with it's playful world-music vibe. I like the Goldfish jingle, too. Chili's Baby Back ribs is infectious. Love hearing Randy Newman singing the new Ford music, but hate the music itself. Anyone in NYC remember the Crazy Eddie doo-wop jingle from the '70s? 30 years later, I still remember that spot.

I've got to say that I also hate the use of "popular" music in ads. I always thought of that as "selling out" but I guess artists today really do only care about money. Seems odd that they can write a song and spend time talking about how much it means to them, and how it was a creation they cared for like a child, then sell to some company to hock a car. That's why I chose the "Goldfish" jingle. I don't care about Napster or downloading or how crappy your record contract is. . if you give up your music to an ad, YOU ARE A SELLING OUT! You have just stated that you do not care about how your music helps or impacts people, or for the creative process in general, more than you care about the money. Now, take this with a grain of salt because I've made a living recording and mixing music for broadcast, including jingles. But we know what that music is for without the hypocrisy. I do have personal knowledge of an artist who turned down close to $100,000 to come and sing someone else's old song for an ad. Would have taken an hour. I have more respect for that person now then ever. . they get it.
Tiny G

<> forget selling out. using a popular song in a commercial is cheating. fave ad music should be specific tunes written for the product. i.e. jingles. i dig the rockin "we care for you car at r&s strauss, your car is a star at..." also the 3 note whistle ditty for "PC Richards" is annoyingly memorable genius. as is the NBC logo music. the prince version of the ray charles pepsi "uh huh" tune is incredible. pepsi paid prince a million bucks to spice up the jingle some. (you'll have to look hard for that one, but it's worth it) besides the beatles influence, oasis sure liked that "i'd like to teach the world to sing" 70's coke ad... :) oops! the lawyers say they liked it TOO much. -d. gauss

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b] also the 3 note whistle ditty for "PC Richards" is annoyingly memorable genius. as is the NBC logo music. [/b][/quote]As is the 4 note music logo for Intel. I love things like these.

Speaking of songs used in commercials, does anyone else find it completely bizarre that Royal Carribean cruises should be using Iggy Pop's "Lust For Life" in their TV spots? OK, so the song has a beat big and a strong hook, and their trying to equate a lust for life with activities on a cruise ship. But Iggy Pop and cruise ships??? What's next, Marilyn Manson's "Beatiful People" used for a cosmetics spot?

Funny that some of you feel it's ok to make the big bucks writing new music for ads, but not ok to get paid for music already written which was not originally intended for that purpose. Isn't it just a question of intent? It's the songwriter's property and they are free to decide if it's worth $100k to have their song used on a laxative spot or not. Some people do turn it down or only allow uses they agree with and/or support. I applaud that idea myself. Still it seems that selling music for ad spots is one of the few remaining places where music has any serious $ value. Much of the public at large has developed a nasty habit of using/copying your music without paying for it. At least the ad clients are willing to pay, and pay very well. mzeger: thanks for the info about Alana Davis singing that Sony spot. Good luck with your ad compositions.

[quote]Originally posted by pigknuckles: [b]Funny that some of you feel it's ok to make the big bucks writing new music for ads, but not ok to get paid for music already written which was not originally intended for that purpose. Isn't it just a question of intent? [/b][/quote]It's fine to make money on the music, I just don't like the "artist" who takes a musical "high-road" when talking about their "art", then sells it to Ford for a car commercial. I hear interviews where the artist says something like, "Well this album represents where I am as an artist creatively, it is an extension of my soul and heart and how I'm feeling about (whatever)". Just say what it is. "My album isn't selling well, I can't pay my bills, so we sold my songs to Mitsubishi in hopes of making the mortgage payment." Fine, just say that then.
Tiny G

[quote]Originally posted by mzeger: [b]As is the 4 note music logo for Intel. I love things like these.[/b][/quote]I worked on a site for Intel once and we had to create a version of that logo. Believe it or not it is officially referred to as the 'Intel Bong' ;) Otherwise, Sal does not watch ads.

[quote]Originally posted by Oyer: [b] I am moving back there from NYC in about a month. I was interning at Jay when they recorded Wegmans "everyday you get our best." That stuck with me for a while. And for all of you other Rochesterians, the Record Archive jingle is classic. [/b][/quote]Let me know when you get here. There are a few other Rochesterians on these boards. Jay certainly produces outstanding commercial music. For those outside Rochester, you've heard their work if you've seen a Buick dealer group commercial in the past several years, or if you watch HBO for which they've produced music. Dick Storms from Record Archive is a good friend. I'll pass along the compliment next time I see him.

[i]Grab a bucket and Mop![/i] [i]Scrub from Bottom to Top![/i] [i]Tell me what does it mean?!?[/i] [i]At McDonald's ITS CLEAN!!![/i] [b]Ewe Deserve a break today![/b] [b]So get up and get away[/b] [b]To McDonald's!! To McDonald's!![/b] [b]McDonald's!!!!!!!!![/b]

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Archived