Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Difference in sound between teles and strats?

Beatnik

If the stratocaster was born to improve the telecaster, why so many players use teles now?

What is the difference in sound, if the two guitars use single coil pick-ups?

Which songs do you think telecaster is the star guitar in them?

"Creo en la Reflexión, no en Dogmas"

Beatnik

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both are awesome guitars, but I don't think one is any better than the other. I've got both! :)

The Tele sounds better with distortion (at least it does when they're both stock) IMO. It's got a brighter bridge pickup and cuts through better than a Strat. The Strat's got the ability to get an out-of-phase tone that stock Tele's can't (there are a few exceptions to this rule).

A Strat or Tele can be modified to do what the other does, although I haven't seen many Strats with that killer Tele bridge pickup! :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Both are awesome guitars, but I don't think one is any better than the other. I've got both! :)

The Tele sounds better with distortion (at least it does when they're both stock) IMO. It's got a brighter bridge pickup and cuts through better than a Strat. The Strat's got the ability to get an out-of-phase tone that stock Tele's can't (there are a few exceptions to this rule).

A Strat or Tele can be modified to do what the other does, although I haven't seen many Strats with that killer Tele bridge pickup! :)

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

What songs do I think the Tele is the star? I think that Led Zeppelin I album. Unless someone tells you Page was useing a Tele given to him by Jeff Beck, you wouldn't think about it but when you analize the guitar tone on that first album, it's unmistakeably a Tele. Then, most of what Keith Richards' doing is on a Tele. I just saw Jonny Lang. It's all he used.Then there's Danny Gatton, The Hellcasters, ...must be more... :wave:
Don't sell anything. Just keep it all. Let it pile up and see it grow tall. Up thru the roof and into the sky. More is always better so pile it sky high.

Rather than apples and oranges, it's an apples and apples comparison. Meaning, it's a MacIntosh vs. Golden Delicious affair.

Leo Fender did intend to improve upon the Telecaster when he worked up the Stratocaster (with the input of a lot of other folks, mostly pro players in Honky-Tonks and Western Swing bands), but he had done such a great job on the Tele that it just won't go away. Given the choice, I'd have to have one of each, thank you! Or, at least one that incorporated a lot of the better points of each.

Both have bolt-on maple necks, and ash or alder bodies, with metal hardware. Less glue and more machinist's approaches, compared to previous guitars by other brands.

The Tele has a fixed bridge, with the strings anchored through the body. (Some models "top load".) There are two pickups, each rather distinvtive and fairly unique to the Tele. They often have a good sustain with a strong "twang" and spark-shooting "bite".

The Strat has a "tremolo" bridge, and those rear-mounted springs add a subtle shimmery mechanical "reverb" of sorts. A little less sustain than the Tele; less real "bite" and "twang". More shimmer than sparks, though definitely sparkling. The three pickups on a Strat allow combinations that some describe as "out of phase", "quacky", and "clucking". The Strat's bridge pickup is inherently likely to sound weaker than a Tele's, though a Strat's neck pickup tends to sound fuller, fatter, and rounder.

Go try a Tele out. Then try a Strat out. Their differences, and their similarities, should be obvious.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by MarshallGibson_6:

What songs do I think the Tele is the star? I think that Led Zeppelin I album. Unless someone tells you Page was useing a Tele given to him by Jeff Beck, you wouldn't think about it but when you analize the guitar tone on that first album, it's unmistakeably a Tele. Then, most of what Keith Richards' doing is on a Tele. I just saw Jonny Lang. It's all he used.Then there's Danny Gatton, The Hellcasters, ...must be more... :wave:

The Pretenders or John Fogerty's "Premonition" album

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

The Tele usually has a twangier or more "clucky" sound, which is why it's frequently used in country and funk bands. However, as previous posts pointed out it can be very versatile (it's prominently featured on the cover of Springsteen's "Born to Run"). But Strats are great, too. My Tele is a Nashville Tele, which has a third Strat-type pickup in the middle, so I can get the traditional Tel sound I love, but I can also get Strat-like tones, too.

Originally posted by Beatnik:

If the stratocaster was born to improve the telecaster, why so many players use teles now?

The new body (countored body), another pick up and tremolo bridge were the biggest innovation, but sound depends of many factors.

Both models had been always popular. :thu:

When I was alot younger, Tele's were the cheapest "real" electric guitar you could get. Fifty bucks used, was about the norm. All the really cool people wanted a Les Paul...... :):)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Tele's rock, Strats Rock. It's pretty much in the hands of the guitarist. For me the Tele has a pretty cool twang to it and I like the way it stands out in the mix, especially clean. Not that the Strats not a good guitar- it certainly is. You really need to try both and if possible try one of each with maple & rosewood. I get the jive outta the Tele with rosewood and prefer it to the Strat... when I'm not playing a Les Paul that is. :D

Tele good. Strat bad.

O.K., let me re-phrase that: To my ears the Tele has more personality, sparkle and presence than a Strat. The Strat always sounds generic to me, except in the hands of a very few players.

Songs the Tele stars in? See, e.g., the entire catalogs of the Rolling Stones (Keef!), Roy Buchanan, Danny Gatton, Jim Campilongo, Ed Bickert, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Bryant, Albert Collins...

Originally posted by Psychotronic:

I thought the main difference between the two was the scale length, which gives the Tele that distinct "twang". I thought the Tele had a longer scale length, though I could be wrong, I'm no Fender expert. Anyone? :confused:

They're both 25.5" scale length guitars. Gibsons are 24.75", and some guitars like PRS and Danelectro use 25". Fender's Duosonic was 22".

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

My friend Shawn had a red Mustang that he absolutely loved. If you're tossing around the name of relatively obscure guitars, does anyone else remember the Gibson Marauder?

Thought they were totally cheesey when they first came out. Would love to have one now. Wouldn't mind having a Fender Lead I or Lead II either. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

"...tossing around the name of relatively obscure guitars, does anyone else remember the Gibson Marauder?"

Unfortunately, yes! Wasn't that one of the "chromyte" or "Luthite" compressed sawdust'n'glue "space-age wonder material" bodied models?

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Unfortunately, yes! Wasn't that one of the "chromyte" or "Luthite" compressed sawdust'n'glue "space-age wonder material" bodied models?

Yeah - but they were such funky guitars I still think it would be pretty cool to have one.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I've played teles for a long time (and jazzmaster and carvins etc), an "elite" series tele with the "stacked humbuckers" and a G&L Asat, and about six months ago I picked up a 40th Anniversary American Strat, which is my first strat. These differences between teles and strats sort of jumped out at me. The list goes from "big difference" (1) to minor. I really find the guitars to compliment each other. The tele is more "glassy" sounding to me, and the strat is more complicated sounding.

1) You can not get the "Jimi" or the "Robin Trower" sound with a tele.

2) the 2 and 4 positions on the (stock) strat is such an increadible rhythm sound-- and the primary reason I bought the strat. That and the ways the tone knobs influence those sounds is really amazing. To me that sort makes the strat more twangy in a sense then the tele.

3) the bridge position sound of the tele is it's own animal, and the only "competition" that sound has is maybe the jag or jazz master brige pick up sounds.

4) I'm finding the strat better for funk rhythm and most rhythms in general, except for skanky ska or rasta sounds which I like the tele better.

5) after fooling around with "Bridge of Sighs" I see a subtle but useful difference between the neck pickup of the strat and it's middle. Till recently I only saw the middle pick up as just less "necky" then the neck.

6) except for imitating Jimi or Robin Trower I really perfer the Tele for almost all leads.

7) For "surf" type playing I like the tele better.

8) not that I play country but neither sounds "more" country or twangy than the other just different, and they definately compliment each other.

9) I find the tele is a better blues guitar, but obviously many many great blues has been played on a strat.

check out some comedy I've done:

http://louhasspoken.tumblr.com/

My Unitarian Jihad Name: Brother Broadsword of Enlightened Compassion.

An interesting tidbit I came across. I always thought of Tele pickups (particularly neck pup) to be punkier than Strat, but I was looking at some resistance readings on some used pups for sale and the Tele neck pup actually had higher readings than the Strat neck pups which would indicate that it was actually hotter. Anybody know whether or not this is true?

Well, what would you go by? The average measurements for a particular "era" Tele, like the early Broadcaters, or the reputedly bright and thin late '50s incarnations, CBS '70s models, '80s models, what? These things have varied a lot over the years.

Also, there is more going on with what makes a given pickup sound the way it does, than just its resistance. The magnet material, size, and strength, the overall design, where and how it's placed, covers, etc. etc. etc. And which sounds "punkier", a guitar with hotter pickups that are also muddy, or a weaker but clearer pickup with better definition?

I know someone who recently put some "boutique" pickups in his guitar that were, by there resistance measurements, much hotter than the stock originals. However, when he was done, they sounded better, but only marginally louder; certainly much less so than he expected. Just as an example of how these things aren't always as cut-and-dry as you might expect.

Maybe the element that you felt sounded punkier was due to the metal covers and smaller overal aperture of a Tele's neck pickups, or the guitars or- surprise!- the playing of the punkier guitarist. A good Tele does seem to let a player sound like themselves, and often inspires a more decidedly punk, outlaw, rock'n'roll, maverick aproach, regardless of style or genre, through its no-nonsense, no-bullshit look and feel and sound. It was the first and best guitar to exemplify a machinist's/mechanic's approach, as opposed to an old-country luthier's.

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

"...tossing around the name of relatively obscure guitars, does anyone else remember the Gibson Marauder?"

Unfortunatly you just gave me an idea - MDF body for a Flying V clone. I've got a neck, a pair of humbuckers, a set of tuners, and a few other items. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

Originally posted by bluestrat:

"Unfortunately, you just gave me an idea - MDF body for a Flying V clone. I've got a neck, a pair of humbuckers, a set of tuners, and a few other items." :thu:

Uhmn, blue', what's an "MDF" body? Martin/Dean/Fender? Mahogany Dashboard, Ford? Mutha-Damn-F#@

What? Why are you all looking at me that way?

Just to throw another variable into the mix, the TeleSonic. It's been firering up my GAS.

Contrary to most other Fenders, it's a 24 3/4" scale length and has a mahogany body (with chambers) and neck. A third sound.

Back to Tele vs. Strat, I like them both, they're just different. I agree about the position 2 and 4 sound (on the Strat). It's great. I haven't played a "real" Tele yet, but I played a Samick Nashville Tele knock off, and it sound good too. It also has a 5-position pup switch like the Strat. Lots of good sounds. From everything I just said, I just realized that the Tele seems to have more (stock) options for configuration than the Strat. I'm going to have to add one to my Christmas list, and birthday, and .....

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Archived