Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

favorite songs? from a different view...

Funk Jazz

i know this list would change all the time, but list your favorite song in each of the following categories:

1) cuz you wish you could play it as well as the original, but can't

2) cuz you play it on guitar all the time (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

3) cuz you listen to it over and over (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

4) cuz you wish you wrote it

for me it would be:

1. message to a friend by pat metheny

2. anything by django reinhardt

3. what is hip by tower of power

4. 1,000 umbrellas by XTC

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting thread!

Let's see...

"Scuttlebuttin'" by SRV

2) cuz you play it on guitar all the time (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

There's a few I play ad nauseum: "Scuttlebuttin'", "Sweet Child of Mine" (Guns & Roses), "Stray Cat Strut" (Stray Cats)

3) cuz you listen to it over and over (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

"Tommy" by The Who (the whole album)

That's a hard one... How 'bout any song that made it's composer filthy rich? :D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

"Cliffs of Dover" - Eric Johnson

"Between Angels and Insects" - Papa Roach

"Rainmaker" - Iron Maiden

"Blind Faith" - Dream Theater

Shut up and play.

"Layla", Eric Clapton

"Night Train", Ventures cover

used to be

"Smoke On The Water", Puple Haze, intro riff

"Tommy", The Who

"Tommy", The Who

I'm sure these will change as I think of others.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Spanish Fly - VH

This finger picking bluesy jazz Chet Atkins like thing, no title. And for real songs, Little Wing and Voodoo Chile

Women in Love -VH (This week, Van Halen 2 was discovered in a pile of junk, not having been seen or heard from since the early 90s. Hence my flavor of the week :) )

The Rain Song

1) cuz you wish you could play it as well as the original, but can't:

Anything by McCoy Tyner. I know, he's a pianist, but his music makes me want to play, and to convey what I feel when I listen to stuff like The real McCoy... same with Miles Davis and John Coltrane, too.

Well, I don't play jack-$#!t by other folks, not 'cause I'm arrogant, but because I'm LAZY. So, the answer to that might be "Cold Shoulder" , an "instrumental" for now, as I've been too lazy to write lyrics for the voice of a singer that I don't have...

3) cuz you listen to it over and over (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy):

The live version of "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" by the Allman Brothers Band, "Rikki, Don't Lose That Number" by Steely Dan (with that beautiful, perfect guitar solo courtesy of Jeff "Skunk" Baxter), lots of Led Zeppelin...

"Waiting In Vain" by Bob Marley, and "Into The Mystic" by Van Morrison. Also anything on Scary Monsters by David Bowie. And lots of Frank Zappa, like "Peaches En Regalia".

Hey, can I have a beer?

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Almost any classical piece of music, on my Yamaha classical guitar.

Into the Void - Black Sabbath

My Guitar Wants to Kill Your Momma - Frank Zappa

Fade Into You - Mazzy Star

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

Originally posted by Dances With Werewolves:

1) cuz you wish you could play it as well as the original, but can't:

Anything by McCoy Tyner. I know, he's a pianist, but his music makes me want to play, and to convey what I feel when I listen to stuff like The real McCoy... same with Miles Davis and John Coltrane, too.

Well, I don't play jack-$#!t by other folks, not 'cause I'm arrogant, but because I'm LAZY. So, the answer to that might be "Cold Shoulder" , an "instrumental" for now, as I've been too lazy to write lyrics for the voice of a singer that I don't have...

3) cuz you listen to it over and over (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy):

The live version of "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed" by the Allman Brothers Band, "Rikki, Don't Lose That Number" by Steely Dan (with that beautiful, perfect guitar solo courtesy of Jeff "Skunk" Baxter), lots of Led Zeppelin...

"Waiting In Vain" by Bob Marley, and "Into The Mystic" by Van Morrison. Also anything on Scary Monsters by David Bowie. And lots of Frank Zappa, like "Peaches En Regalia".

Hey, can I have a beer?

You are a true music lover my friend!!!! :D:D:thu::thu:

1) cuz you wish you could play it as well as the original, but can't: "Nuages," by Django

2) cuz you play it on guitar all the time (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy): Hendrix's "Hear My Train A'coming; Gilmour's solo from "Another Brick in the Wall"

3) cuz you listen to it over and over (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy): Just about everything by Jeff Beck, but especially "The Pump."

4) cuz you wish you wrote it: Someone else already mentioned this, "The Rain Song." After that, "Bold as Love," "Not Dark Yet" by Bob Dylan, anything by Mozart, Debussy, "The Long and Winding Road"...

Commonlaw Love, by Sonny Landreth

I don't believe you've met my baby, by Jerry Douglas, and Shotgun by SCOTS

Shadow Lands, by Steve Earle, Feel like making love by Dread Zepplin, Your Sweet Side and Ocean of Love, by Lucinda Williams

Guitar Town, Steve Earle

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by funk_jazz:

i know this list would change all the time, but list your favorite song in each of the following categories:

1) ?cuz you wish you could play it as well as the original, but can't

2) ?cuz you play it on guitar all the time (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

3) ?cuz you listen to it over and over (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

4) ?cuz you wish you wrote it

1. "Pull me Under" by Dream Theater

2. "Damage Inc." by Metallica. Sometimes I blurt out the lyrics verbatim while I play, much to their chagrin. ;)

3. Evanescence's "Fallen" CD. I'm in love with Amy Lee's vocals. The guitars do take kind of a backseat here, but I wouldn't mind playing for such a nice, beautiful soul as Amy's.

http://www.evanescence.com/band/photos/images/promophoto/tn_amysolo1.jpg :love:

4. The first U.K. album with Allan Holdsworth on guitar. I would've hired Terry Bozzio to do the drums right away, instead of Bill Bruford. Nothing wrong with Bruford, but when I heard Bozzio on the live U.K. album, I wished he'd have been the only drummer for both albums that band made.

http://www.terrybozzio.com/images/kit/fkit_sm.jpg

I want him and Amy for my next project with this monster!!! :thu:

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

2) ?cuz you play it on guitar all the time (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

3) ?cuz you listen to it over and over (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

2. "Damage Inc." by Metallica. Sometimes I blurt out the lyrics verbatim while I play, much to their chagrin. ;)

3. Evanescence's "Fallen" CD. I'm in love with Amy Lee's vocals. The guitars do take kind of a backseat here, but I wouldn't mind playing for such a nice, beautiful soul as Amy's.

4. The first U.K. album with Allan Holdsworth on guitar. I would've hired Terry Bozzio to do the drums right away, instead of Bill Bruford. Nothing wrong with Bruford, but when I heard Bozzio on the live U.K. album, I wished he'd have been the only drummer for both albums that band made.

:o:thu:

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

I want him and Amy for my next project with this monster!!! :thu:

:o Oh my i didn't think that this was that

kind of forum.Ruuun he's going to unleash the

monster :eek: Oh ...wait thier's the picture...

....awh....it's only a set of drums,Thank god

that was close! :(

The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

One of the songs that first got me interested in playing guitar was 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago. I'm a lot closer to being able to play Terry Kath now, but they'll never be another Terry. For you scoffers, listen to those solos...there are three of 'em in the song, and they all kick.

Oh sure, I'd like to be able to do "Cliffs of Dover" too.

Acoustically, I'd like to be closer to James Taylor. His fluidity and tone still amaze me.

Probably the deceptively tricky (for me) acoustic "Dance With Me" by Orleans. Really quite a cool little bit.

I don't listen to much, really, these days.

Quite a lot of stuff. Nothing really jumps out.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

1- Pride and Joy ( or anything else by Stevie)

2- Rocky Mountain Way

3- The whole SRV catalog :rolleyes:

4- Hotel California (I love the imagery - and think about All Of The Royalties :eek:

Lynn G

Originally posted by The Night of the Living Ted:

1) "cuz you wish you could play it as well as the original, but can't

One of the songs that first got me interested in playing guitar was 25 or 6 to 4 by Chicago. I'm a lot closer to being able to play Terry Kath now, but they'll never be another Terry. For you scoffers, listen to those solos...there are three of 'em in the song, and they all kick.

Oh sure, I'd like to be able to do "Cliffs of Dover" too.

Acoustically, I'd like to be closer to James Taylor. His fluidity and tone still amaze me.

2) "cuz you play it on guitar all the time (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

Probably the deceptively tricky (for me) acoustic "Dance With Me" by Orleans. Really quite a cool little bit.

3) "cuz you listen to it over and over (driving your friends, pets, and family crazy)

I don't listen to much, really, these days.

4) "cuz you wish you wrote it

Quite a lot of stuff. Nothing really jumps out.

Terry Kath talk about a sad story.

Very underrated guitar player.Jimi loved Terry Kath's guitar playing,true story.

story.

Archived