Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Myles,

I don't know what they're paying you but it's not enough! Thanks for the help! I was concernted about the power of the Soul-O75. A 55 Watt Quiana ought to do the trick. Any thought about the Fandango? I don't know if this is a valid concern but wouldn't the EL34 Fandango be better for Leads and the 6L6 Quiana better for the clean sounds. Isn't there also a speaker difference with the quiana getting V30's and the Fandango getting G75 or something like that?

I have a Bro-inlaw that lives in Santa Monica, Maybe it is time for a visit.....

Best,

Jeff

Failure is the path of least persistence.

Myles,

One more thing and then I'm out. The Gerlitz is new. I saw one on Ebay and Googled it.

www.gerlitzamps.com

It has two channels black face and Plexi and I think a micro power amp that is then fed to a solid state power amp. that way you can get total pre amp and power amp tube saturation at any volume. Does it work? I have no idea.

I hope you have a great THANKSGIVING!

Best,

Jeff

Myles, just curious...

Do you have any oppinions, experience, or knowledge concerning Tone King amps, in particular their Comet and new Meteor series combos?

I played a Tone King Comet 20 two-6V6 1x12 combo once, and its "clean" channel- which could easily be coaxed into some really nice less-than-clean tones- was easily the very best "blackface Fender" I've ever played. There was a 40-watt/2x12 version with two pairs of 6V6's, each with its own output transformer and speaker; it could be configured to footswitch from the full 40-watts with four 6V6's, two OT's, and two speakers, to the differently voiced "lead" pre-channel with two 6V6's driving one OT and speaker with 20-watts.

The Meteor series is supposed to be an improvement on the Comets; if so, they must sound stellar!

I do know this about the new Meteors: they look mighty sharp!

If you're curious, here's a link; you can check things out at the Tone King website. Let me know what you think.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by jzgtrguy:

Myles,

I don't know what they're paying you but it's not enough! Thanks for the help! I was concernted about the power of the Soul-O75. A 55 Watt Quiana ought to do the trick. Any thought about the Fandango? I don't know if this is a valid concern but wouldn't the EL34 Fandango be better for Leads and the 6L6 Quiana better for the clean sounds. Isn't there also a speaker difference with the quiana getting V30's and the Fandango getting G75 or something like that?

I have a Bro-inlaw that lives in Santa Monica, Maybe it is time for a visit.....

Best,

Jeff

Jeff .....

I used to get paid a lot more when I was VP of operations and engineering at www.infonet.com .... left the corporate world two years ago with a pay cut of about 90% :) but my wife says that she'd rather have me make 10x less as I am 100x easier to live with!

The Quiana and Fandango are close amps, and either can do great cleans. The Quiana is more vintage. The Fandago has a mid scoop that the Quiana does not have. It boils down to personal preference. Oh yea .... the Quiana is easier to work on due to it's more contentional layout, if you want to change preamp tubes.

Since you have family here in L.A., come and visit, and I will be more than happy to arrange a tour of the Rivera Factory, as it is less than 10 minutes from GT.

On this forum by the way, I am not paid at all.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by jzgtrguy:

Myles,

One more thing and then I'm out. The Gerlitz is new. I saw one on Ebay and Googled it.

www.gerlitzamps.com

It has two channels black face and Plexi and I think a micro power amp that is then fed to a solid state power amp. that way you can get total pre amp and power amp tube saturation at any volume. Does it work? I have no idea.

I hope you have a great THANKSGIVING!

Best,

Jeff

Jeff....

I do not know these amps at all, but from their website, I see they have EIGHT preamp tubes. This is somewhat like the Guytron, and also the Fender Pro Tube series has eight preamp tubes.

In any case, more preamp tubes = more noise and issues to my thinking. That is why something like the Dr. Z amps are so articulate and defined, and more complex amps loose this benefit.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Caevan O'Shite:

Myles, just curious...

Do you have any oppinions, experience, or knowledge concerning Tone King amps, in particular their Comet and new Meteor series combos?

I played a Tone King Comet 20 two-6V6 1x12 combo once, and its "clean" channel- which could easily be coaxed into some really nice less-than-clean tones- was easily the very best "blackface Fender" I've ever played. There was a 40-watt/2x12 version with two pairs of 6V6's, each with its own output transformer and speaker; it could be configured to footswitch from the full 40-watts with four 6V6's, two OT's, and two speakers, to the differently voiced "lead" pre-channel with two 6V6's driving one OT and speaker with 20-watts.

The Meteor series is supposed to be an improvement on the Comets; if so, they must sound stellar!

I do know this about the new Meteors: they look mighty sharp!

If you're curious, here's a link; you can check things out at the Tone King website. Let me know what you think.

Don't need the website link ... I know these amps pretty well. Let me just say, that they are built very very very well, sound great, play great, and are .... well .... I guess I'd have to say .... great :)

If you like the features, tone, and playability, these amps will last into your grandkids lifetimes and make them happy to play them too, if they grow up to be guitar players.

I cannot think of anything "bad" to say about them ... I cannot even say something like ... "well, for the money they are ..... "

They are just terrific amps, no reservations.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Thanks for the feed back. I guess all that remains to be done is a Demo, I'll have to arrange that.

I cannot say when I'll be in LA but I will call in advance, a tour of Rivera would be awesome.

When I was a Teenager back in the 60's Paul Rivera used to live here in San Diego and had a Amp Shop in North Park. He put a master volume in an Ampeg V4 and a Super Reverb for me. He also Built this giant speaker cabnet with 3 Altec 12's all stacked on top of each other vertically in a horned enclosure. With the Ampeg and that cabnet I sure could make some serious noise!

Thanks again for the help!

Best,

Jeff

Thanks for the input, Myles! Man, if that's not a stamp of approval, that actually carries some weight, I don't know what is! Now it's less a matter of "If", and more a matter of "when" I buy a Comet or Meteor. When I do, I'll have to come out to LA so you can scope it out (literally, right?). And, uh, gee, maybe you'll have an amp or two that I can check out! ;):thu:

Just further curiousity, I know what I like about the Tone King model that I tried; how do you like their features, tone, and playability?

What do you like and dislike in any amp? Personally, that is, you know what I mean; as in what works for you, not what's "good" or "bad". Hmmmnn??

Myles:

On your website you have a statement in the tech tip section about the negative feedback loop in amps being the cause of "dead" notes. (See below). You recomend matching of the the output section as well as the preamp tubes to limit cancellation as much as possible.

Some people alternatively recommend disconnecting the NFB circuit altogether by cutting the wire at the speaker jack. What do you think about this option? I have a Marshall Studio 15. Would it be a good idea on that amp to disabled the NFB circuit by cutting the wire? What about modifying the circuit to act as a presence control by inserting a 250K audio pot?. Any downside to either option? I briefly disconnected the NFB wire as a test, and found the amp was brighter and livelier, and the amp rang out more, but the distortion became harsher and perhaps too bright.

[[["I originally wrote this with a subject of dead spots in your sound or tone that people felt were due to dead spots in their guitar (or bass) neck.

In the last few months while blueprinting amplifiers, I have had to explain over and over about a mis-matched output section and its impact to many.

I thought I'd write a little here ....

In any class A/B amplifier, because of the NFB (negitive feedback loop ... usually labeled as the PRESENCE control), any disparity between the upper part of the sine wave (produced by half of the output tubes), and the lower part of the sine wave (produced by the other half of the output tubes), is cancelled out by the NFB circuit by design. This is the reason some notes "sing" when your amp is pushed in the output section (rather than pushing the input in a master volume amp), and other notes do not have the same magic.

The reason some of the great blues players have that tone, is that their amps are taken care of people that know how to adjust or deal with some of the issues that cause this lack of luster.

Since no tubes are even close to identical, this cancellation is always going on. The object is to limit this as much as possible."]]]

Hey Myles-

I just got a used dual rectifier and I love it, but I was wondering what tubes you would recommend to make it sound a little smoother. I remember hearing something about mesa's default bias being too cold which causes more buzzing/crunching than most people like. What tubes do you think would sweeten it up a bit?

hi,new here, 1st like to thank Myles for this forum. i have gt solo 75 I've been using for the past 6 /7years . i've Been useing svetlana 6L6 & have never changed preamp tubes, stock groove tubes.i just sent for the bias kit & wondering if you have any tips for me about this amp.the only time it was biased was when i went to the svetlana from the gt's6l6 that came with the amp.i just thought i'd add it' a 1-12 combo & my playin style is mainly blues & R&b.

Thanx's nick

Originally posted by GHWelles:

Myles:

On your website you have a statement in the tech tip section about the negative feedback loop in amps being the cause of "dead" notes. (See below). You recomend matching of the the output section as well as the preamp tubes to limit cancellation as much as possible.

Some people alternatively recommend disconnecting the NFB circuit altogether by cutting the wire at the speaker jack. What do you think about this option? I have a Marshall Studio 15. Would it be a good idea on that amp to disabled the NFB circuit by cutting the wire? What about modifying the circuit to act as a presence control by inserting a 250K audio pot?. Any downside to either option? I briefly disconnected the NFB wire as a test, and found the amp was brighter and livelier, and the amp rang out more, but the distortion became harsher and perhaps too bright.

[[["I originally wrote this with a subject of dead spots in your sound or tone that people felt were due to dead spots in their guitar (or bass) neck.

In the last few months while blueprinting amplifiers, I have had to explain over and over about a mis-matched output section and its impact to many.

I thought I'd write a little here ....

In any class A/B amplifier, because of the NFB (negitive feedback loop ... usually labeled as the PRESENCE control), any disparity between the upper part of the sine wave (produced by half of the output tubes), and the lower part of the sine wave (produced by the other half of the output tubes), is cancelled out by the NFB circuit by design. This is the reason some notes "sing" when your amp is pushed in the output section (rather than pushing the input in a master volume amp), and other notes do not have the same magic.

The reason some of the great blues players have that tone, is that their amps are taken care of people that know how to adjust or deal with some of the issues that cause this lack of luster.

Since no tubes are even close to identical, this cancellation is always going on. The object is to limit this as much as possible."]]]

There are pros and cons to removing the NFB loop.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by nickthepick:

hi,new here, 1st like to thank Myles for this forum. i have gt solo 75 I've been using for the past 6 /7years . i've Been useing svetlana 6L6 & have never changed preamp tubes, stock groove tubes.i just sent for the bias kit & wondering if you have any tips for me about this amp.the only time it was biased was when i went to the svetlana from the gt's6l6 that came with the amp.i just thought i'd add it' a 1-12 combo & my playin style is mainly blues & R&b.

Thanx's nick

Nick,

Most of my S75 stuff is already on my website in my personal gear area.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving!

A series of questions I should know the answers to already...

What happens to a tube amp when you put a speaker of a different ohms than is recommended? Can you go in either direction safely? The Champ is 3.2 ohms... I assume 4 is not an issue but what about 8?

thanks Myles

Roy

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/alexisdmusic.htm

"once it stops bein' a mystery it stops bein' true"

David Mowaljarlai - Ngarinyin Aboriginal Elder

Originally posted by roy d:

"What happens to a tube amp when you put a speaker of a different ohms than is recommended? Can you go in either direction safely? The Champ is 3.2 ohms... I assume 4 is not an issue but what about 8?"

Hey, roy d-

I can give you an answer, if you don't mind my stepping in on this one for Myles. Myles can (and will) tell you if I'm wrong here:

In the case of a Champ, for some obscure reason lost to the ages, Fender production defined its speaker's impedence as 3.2-ohms, which turns out to be the nominal DC resistance of that speaker. Not the same thing as true impedance. It turns out that a 4-ohm speaker is just what the Doctor ordered, whereas an 8-ohm speaker will cut your power roughly in half and probably be detrimental to your tone.

That being said, as long as you use a speaker that is equal to or greater than the specified impedance, you are unlikely to damage the amp's components.

If you load the output with a speaker rated at a lower impedance, it is potentially more likely that you can and will damage something, like an output transformer and tubes. Do not use a 2-ohm speaker on a Champ. Imagine a team of draft-horses that expects to be pulling a sled with a ton of payload, and when they set to it they find rather jerkingly that it's closer to a half- or quarter- of that... at the very least, some sore, strained muscles and ligaments, right? (Or imagine running your car's engine into a transmission and suddenly shifting down to 2nd or 1st while cruising along on the expressway.) !!! Same for your amp's parts...

Some amps handle impedance mis-match well enough to use it as an additional tonal ingredient. These are generally amps with very beefy, big over-rated power- and output-transformers and power supply components. If I recall correctly, both THD's Andy Marshall and Bruce Zinky, who was behind the Fender Vibro-King, Dual-Professional, and Tone-Master, have made comments like that regarding some of their designs. And the owners manual for the GT Electronics Speaker Emulator that I have mentions getting a better tone by setting its impedance selector higher than the rating at the amp's output jack.

However, I don't think that any Champ quite falls into that category, short of being very heavily modified! Go with 4-ohms.

There are a number of great replacement speakers for your Champ out there. Kendrick makes 'em, and I'm pretty sure that those new "vintage-reissue" Jensens include a suitable one.

If you want to use it for recording, stick with a small size like the original. That small speaker will sound huge in a recording, perhaps bigger-sounding than a larger speaker would. If you want to use it "live", maybe you'll want to opt for a larger speaker like a 10", though that would require enlarging the hole in the cabinet's baffle-board.

Originally posted by myles111:

Originally posted by nickthepick:

Thanx's nick

Nick,

Most of my S75 stuff is already on my website in my personal gear area.

Thanx Myles,don't know how i missed that link.

Originally posted by roy d:

Hey Myles,

Hope you had a wonderful thanksgiving!

A series of questions I should know the answers to already...

What happens to a tube amp when you put a speaker of a different ohms than is recommended? Can you go in either direction safely? The Champ is 3.2 ohms... I assume 4 is not an issue but what about 8?

thanks Myles

Roy,

You can go higher, but not lower, and when higher, the output will be less.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by shoe124:

Myles,

Just out of curiosity, How much would it cost for me to load up my solo 75 using the tubes and specs that you have listed as being in yours?

Thanks...

Todd

Todd,

It's sort of hard to say on some of the tubes, but the GT tubes are on the GT website with the retail prices.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

From what I gather you're a tube amp guru, but I have a Yamaha DG-80a 112 modelling amp, and I have a speaker question for you:

The amp is really versatile, and I like it a lot -HOWEVER, for clean Fender type sounds, there is a lack of high-end shimmer - it's kind of dark sounding, and when you compensate with treble and presence controls, it just ends up sounding brittle.

The speaker which comes with the amp is a Celestion G12H-100. I've been told that switch out to a Vintage 30 (although the power rating would be too low, but I don't play that loud) or a Celestion 7080 - which is supposed to have more musical high end.

Any suggestions?

Pete

Originally posted by pbognar:

Myles,

From what I gather you're a tube amp guru, but I have a Yamaha DG-80a 112 modelling amp, and I have a speaker question for you:

The amp is really versatile, and I like it a lot -HOWEVER, for clean Fender type sounds, there is a lack of high-end shimmer - it's kind of dark sounding, and when you compensate with treble and presence controls, it just ends up sounding brittle.

The speaker which comes with the amp is a Celestion G12H-100. I've been told that switch out to a Vintage 30 (although the power rating would be too low, but I don't play that loud) or a Celestion 7080 - which is supposed to have more musical high end.

Any suggestions?

Pete

Pete ....

There is not too much you can do here. The amp has a very complex circuit path, and expects a wide range speaker. The V30 by the way, will handle 60 watts.

In any case, having this complex circuit takes it's toll on amp and player articulation and definition.

In amps, you generally cannot have your cake and eat it too .... that is one good reason for multiple amps in many cases.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Any suggestions?

Pete

Pete ....

There is not too much you can do here. The amp has a very complex circuit path, and expects a wide range speaker. The V30 by the way, will handle 60 watts.

In any case, having this complex circuit takes it's toll on amp and player articulation and definition.

In amps, you generally cannot have your cake and eat it too .... that is one good reason for multiple amps in many cases.

Myles,

Thanks for your reply.

When you were speaking of amp and player articulation were you indicating that a modelling amp could never really sound like a tube amp - just asking? ;-)

Allan Holdsworth uses these amps live, and you know the kind of tone he gets (overdriven and clean) - do you suppose that he is goofing around with parametric or graphic eq's. He definitely uses one amp for clean sounds and another for solo work, even though this is an amp where you have like 128 patches!!!

Are there any all-in-one amps you'd recommend for a crisp Fenderish sound along with a nice Scott Henderson/Holdsworth type solo sound? Or is the answer to front-end something like a Hot Rod Deluxe with some any particular stomp boxes for some articulate soloing?

Pete

Hello Myles,

Just my first time in this forum, althoughI have a question? Is the Fandango a worthy rival against the KH R. I currently own a Rivera Suprema 55, which has been mod by Voodoo amps, excellent work by Trace!!!!. But thought I had it change for a Fandango or a KH R 55. I am looking more for a combo rather than a head and cab. So, I have somewhat a preference for the Fandango.......Any thoughts on those two amps.......

Myles,

Any suggestions?

Pete

Pete ....

Myles,

Thanks for your reply.

When you were speaking of amp and player articulation were you indicating that a modelling amp could never really sound like a tube amp - just asking? ;-)

Allan Holdsworth uses these amps live, and you know the kind of tone he gets (overdriven and clean) - do you suppose that he is goofing around with parametric or graphic eq's. He definitely uses one amp for clean sounds and another for solo work, even though this is an amp where you have like 128 patches!!!

Are there any all-in-one amps you'd recommend for a crisp Fenderish sound along with a nice Scott Henderson/Holdsworth type solo sound? Or is the answer to front-end something like a Hot Rod Deluxe with some any particular stomp boxes for some articulate soloing?

Pete

Pete ....

There are great sounding modelling amps and crap sounding tube amps ... you have to keep that in mind.

Where the modellers are very different (to me at least), in the interaction with the player, and the headroom ... as tubes compress and trasistors clip off completely (that is why they have onboard limiters).

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by pureoldsound:

Hello Myles,

Just my first time in this forum, althoughI have a question? Is the Fandango a worthy rival against the KH R. I currently own a Rivera Suprema 55, which has been mod by Voodoo amps, excellent work by Trace!!!!. But thought I had it change for a Fandango or a KH R 55. I am looking more for a combo rather than a head and cab. So, I have somewhat a preference for the Fandango.......Any thoughts on those two amps.......

pureoldsound ..........

You cannot go wrong with either of them, but in the end it is user taste, as they have different front end gain structures

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

HI MYLES, i hope im in the right spot this time.. i have a 2002 MESA BOOGIE NOMAD 100 x/60wt 3 channel long head, purchased from a friend,w/out trying it out, ITS not CRUNCHY or fat enough (i prefer the DUAL RECTOFIER TONE IS THERE ANY TUBES or MODS that can be done w/ this amp? all my GTRS have humbuckers in them....thanks, ramjet

Myles! :love:

I got lucky and scored these 60's tubes that some guy pulled from a Fender amp and sold them to me on Ebay.

Paid what one retail Russian 6L6 goes for over here.

Anyway, I really dig the one on the right- it's like a super-charged 6V6.

I can crank the Univalve to 10 with HiV and there's no grit at all, just nice smokey crunch and distortion.

They all sound really great though.

Too bad the Italian postal service broke one :rolleyes: .

All the way on the left:

Smokey glass, etching says "6L6 G FIVRE 206" and sticker says "Fivre 6VS"

Middle:

Clear glass, etching says "6L6 G FIVRE 206" and sticker also says sticker says "Fivre 6VS"

On the Right (MY FAV!):

No printing or stickers except on the top of the tube there are 2 sets of numbers "333 306"

http://www.jameskettner.com/Tubes/NewTubes.JPG

Did I score some cool tubes? Can you tell me anything about them?

Can I run the one all the way on the right on HiV without problems?

posted 12-06-2003 12:39 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myles,

I left a post a few weeks ago about which amp would be best and you help me narrow my search down to either a Rivera Fandango or a Quiana and you mentioned that a Quiana with KT66hp's was particularly nice. My question is this. I had been over the the Rivera site and their users forum and there seemed to be some question as to weather or not the KT66's would fit in a Quiana Studio. Not that the bottles wouldn't work I think it had to do with the space between the bottles or the space between the tube and the power transformer. I thnk the concern sentered around weather or not there was enough space between the tubes and other components to allow for proper cooling. What do you think???

Thanks,

Jeff

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by RAMJET:

HI MYLES, i hope im in the right spot this time.. i have a 2002 MESA BOOGIE NOMAD 100 x/60wt 3 channel long head, purchased from a friend,w/out trying it out, ITS not CRUNCHY or fat enough (i prefer the DUAL RECTOFIER TONE IS THERE ANY TUBES or MODS that can be done w/ this amp? all my GTRS have humbuckers in them....thanks, ramjet

RAMJET ...........

The Nomad has a different front end than a recto, but you may want to try and ECC83 in V1, and another in V2, as this will make the amp a bit more agressive. Make sure they are checked though for proper current output, not just TC or gain.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by James-Italy:

Myles! :love:

I got lucky and scored these 60's tubes that some guy pulled from a Fender amp and sold them to me on Ebay.

Paid what one retail Russian 6L6 goes for over here.

Anyway, I really dig the one on the right- it's like a super-charged 6V6.

I can crank the Univalve to 10 with HiV and there's no grit at all, just nice smokey crunch and distortion.

They all sound really great though.

Too bad the Italian postal service broke one :rolleyes: .

All the way on the left:

Smokey glass, etching says "6L6 G FIVRE 206" and sticker says "Fivre 6VS"

Middle:

Clear glass, etching says "6L6 G FIVRE 206" and sticker also says sticker says "Fivre 6VS"

On the Right (MY FAV!):

No printing or stickers except on the top of the tube there are 2 sets of numbers "333 306"

Did I score some cool tubes? Can you tell me anything about them?

Can I run the one all the way on the right on HiV without problems?

James ... cool tubes ... Fivre was the RCA in Italy, using RCA tooling. Cool 50s stuff you have there, maybe even 40s.

In the UV I would use these in the low voltage setting ... they will take the high voltage, but hV in the UV is over 450 volts, and even 470 in some cases .... and being cathode biased, you would really subject these gems to a short life at the HV setting.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr