Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

i have a carvin x-100b tube amp the power supply is shot i need to replace it but i cant seem to find any markings on the old one how do i know what one to replace it with please help would you know what power supply would work in this amp my band will be giging in a few short weeks and i need to fix this problem thank you very much

Steve :cry:

Originally posted by CaevanO'Shite:

Say, Myles... I noticed your mention of those "4 EL84 based tweed style amps" from Carvin, and would like to know what sort of SAG and MPI kits, and results, you've used for them.

I've got a "Vintage 33" 1x12" combo model, and would like to (when I have the dough-re-mi, which won't be tomorrow) re-tube it for a very vintage but crisp and dynamically responsive tone on the "clean" channel, and a more aggressive, bitey, and toothy, but still dynamically responsive tone on the "soak" channel.

I know that it needs new tubes, anyways, as I bought it used and it already has some microphonics and "rattle" (that "B-B in a jar" type, not the cab) issues.

Is this too much to ask of the little guy? What do you think? Thanks! -k

In most of these I have done, I use ECC83s in V1 and V2, but some folks prefer the 12AX7C in V1 and V2 for a more all around and versitile amp.

Power tubes are always EL84S #5 ratings.

Matched phase inveter really does a lot in these amps.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by [JJ]:

hey myles

quick question

i got a fender Deville 212 and the overdrive channel seems to be giving me A LOT of feedback. The master volume is usually around 2 1/2 if you're interested. Well anyway, what I want to know is do i need a tube replacement? :confused:

JJ............

I would need to see the amp on the bench, but it does not sound like a tube problem, unless one of the preamp tubes is ocillating.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by vengence:

i have a carvin x-100b tube amp the power supply is shot i need to replace it but i cant seem to find any markings on the old one how do i know what one to replace it with please help would you know what power supply would work in this amp my band will be giging in a few short weeks and i need to fix this problem thank you very much

Steve :cry:

Steve,

Contact Carvin directly. They would sell you a new power supply.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by EmptinessOFYouth:

my friend has a peavey half stack, its like 20 years old and im not even sure what model it is, anyway, his power chord is fallin apart, loose wires are startin to pop out. Can most guitar stores fix this (guitar center maybe), its a fire hazzard really...

Look on my website, as there are amp techs there which I recommend.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks again, Myles!

Say...

-Do you go with the #5 rating on the output-tubes because that is what the little Carvin likes to run with, or just for a balance of clean-to-overdrive response?

-would balanced/matched-triode 12**7 tubes benefit any preamp, reverb, or tremelo functions, as well? Or would any differences be minimal?

-What kind of guitar and amp works best for flying? A Davoli Stratospheric and an Airline, perhaps? A Duo-Jet and a Rocket? Air-guitar by an airhead? Schmoke und a pankake? :D -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Myles,

Just wanted to let you know I talked with Doug Preston (www.dougtubes.com) and got some preamp tubes on order for my amps. A couple of ECC83S for my '79 Marshall JMP head and a couple of 12AX7C for my Carvin MTS head. Thanx for the info and I'll be sure to let you know how they sound when I get them in.

Steve

Did some work on my Mig-50. Recapped it and increased the power supply filtering (not as easy as it sounds - couldn't find replacements for through-hole Russian can caps so I had to figure out how to stuff in six 350v Sprague Atoms. Ended up buiding a new circuit board and floated it over the PT bell).

Also added a cathode bypass cap to V2.

So now the question is which power tubes to put in there. I have decided to stick with 5881s. The amp puts 520 volts on the plates which is more than most 5881s and 6L6s are rated for. I am looking for easy break-up.

Would JAN Phillips 6L6WGBs be a good choice?

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Thanks again, Myles!

Say...

-Do you go with the #5 rating on the output-tubes because that is what the little Carvin likes to run with, or just for a balance of clean-to-overdrive response?

-would balanced/matched-triode 12**7 tubes benefit any preamp, reverb, or tremelo functions, as well? Or would any differences be minimal?

-What kind of guitar and amp works best for flying? A Davoli Stratospheric and an Airline, perhaps? A Duo-Jet and a Rocket? Air-guitar by an airhead? Schmoke und a pankake? :D -k

CaevanO'Shite...........

I like 5's as they run at the most ideal current draw in these cathode biased amps.

Balanced triodes in any area other than the phase inverter would yield no value, and you'd be better off saving the money for a nice meal, or a lot of pizza.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by steveoh:

Myles,

Just wanted to let you know I talked with Doug Preston (www.dougtubes.com) and got some preamp tubes on order for my amps. A couple of ECC83S for my '79 Marshall JMP head and a couple of 12AX7C for my Carvin MTS head. Thanx for the info and I'll be sure to let you know how they sound when I get them in.

Steve

Steve,

Doug has really nice stuff, and testing methods. You will be really happy.

Happy playing.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Did some work on my Mig-50. Recapped it and increased the power supply filtering (not as easy as it sounds - couldn't find replacements for through-hole Russian can caps so I had to figure out how to stuff in six 350v Sprague Atoms. Ended up buiding a new circuit board and floated it over the PT bell).

Also added a cathode bypass cap to V2.

So now the question is which power tubes to put in there. I have decided to stick with 5881s. The amp puts 520 volts on the plates which is more than most 5881s and 6L6s are rated for. I am looking for easy break-up.

Would JAN Phillips 6L6WGBs be a good choice?

Gabriel,

The plate voltage may seem high, but look at your screen voltage ........ it is low, maybe about 380, so these tubes are not pushed as hard as one may think.

The 6L6WGB is a great tube.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

I just bought a new Bogner Uberschall and I was wondering what your thoughts on this amp are. Construction, reliability, sound, tone, performance, etc...

Bogner reccomends that I use only JJ/Tesla tubes because of the voltages that run through the amp....whats the deal with that?

Originally posted by FourT6and2:

Hey Myles,

I just bought a new Bogner Uberschall and I was wondering what your thoughts on this amp are. Construction, reliability, sound, tone, performance, etc...

Bogner reccomends that I use only JJ/Tesla tubes because of the voltages that run through the amp....whats the deal with that?

FourT6and2...........

Teh Ubershall is a terrific amp. It is a VERY strong monster, I am sure you have no trouble getting you point across in any venue!

I think that Bogner may like the JJ made tubes, as they are stronger than many of the current new tubes, but my caution here is, make sure any JJ factory tube is tested very well and subjected to a long burn in period before putting them in an amp. If you do not do this, there is a high chance of failure of the tube at worst, and at best, your bias will be pretty far off after the first ten or so hours.

The JJ's are great tubes, but here at GT, we have a typical 50% factory reject rate, and grid leakage and high gas can be typical.

Your amp is of PCB construction, and is done nicely. There is no way to make an amp such as this one in high production with a rational cost by using any other method, and these amps (as well as the Shiva and Ecstacy models) hold up nicely in touring serice and hard use.

You have a great amp. I am glad you are not a neighbor :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

OK Myles, last question on this issue (from me, anyway).

I'm going to purchase a 1 x 12" combo. I will use it exclusively for home playing and home studio recording. I will probably get an attenuator (Air Brake?) for when I need to play quietly. I have other, larger amps to gig with.

I've narrowed it down (through various research, as well as info on your web site) to 3 models: Victoria 20112-T, Carr Rambler or Dr. Z Maz Jr. Obviously, I'm looking for Class A Fender Blackface-type sound, but with a slightly different character. I am interested in chimey, clear as a bell, yet warm clean tone and great-sounding power tube overdrive at relatively low volume for blues playing. Would also like great harmonics and sensitivity to attack.

I assume that each of these three qualifies for the above, but since I can't A/B them (or even conveniently try one of them), I'm wondering if you could either provide a recommendation or elucidate (briefly) on additional characteristics of each.

I'm sure this would be of great help to a lot of people on this forum as well.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by myles111:

Thanks again, Myles!

Say...

CaevanO'Shite...........

(Myles)"I like 5's as they run at the most ideal current draw in these cathode biased amps."

"Balanced triodes in any area other than the phase inverter would yield no value, and you'd be better off saving the money for a nice meal, or a lot of pizza."

Thanks! Oh, man, you had to say "pizza"! "Mmmmnn... forbidden PIZZA... !" -k

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Originally posted by WaterMan:

OK Myles, last question on this issue (from me, anyway).

I'm going to purchase a 1 x 12" combo. I will use it exclusively for home playing and home studio recording. I will probably get an attenuator (Air Brake?) for when I need to play quietly. I have other, larger amps to gig with.

I've narrowed it down (through various research, as well as info on your web site) to 3 models: Victoria 20112-T, Carr Rambler or Dr. Z Maz Jr. Obviously, I'm looking for Class A Fender Blackface-type sound, but with a slightly different character. I am interested in chimey, clear as a bell, yet warm clean tone and great-sounding power tube overdrive at relatively low volume for blues playing. Would also like great harmonics and sensitivity to attack.

I assume that each of these three qualifies for the above, but since I can't A/B them (or even conveniently try one of them), I'm wondering if you could either provide a recommendation or elucidate (briefly) on additional characteristics of each.

I'm sure this would be of great help to a lot of people on this forum as well.

Thanks again.

WaterMan

There is really no such animal as the "class A Fender Blackface sound", as Fender amps are Class A/B.

The three amps you mention are all class A (cathode biased) amps. They are all very different amps.

The Z has the most clean headroom, is is the srongest of the three amps. The Victoria is the classic blues small club amp. The Z is also the most versitile. The Carr is a blast, and 6L6 based. All the amps are acutally based on different out tubes.

If you want some chime, and the highest level of higher end harmonics, then the EL-84 based amp (Z) is the path to follow.

The true blues amp is the Vic, from traditional tone points, but the Carr is a monster blues amp too, with a great reverb to boot.

If cost is any sort of factor, the Z will be the least pricy, and worth every penny.

You have a pretty hard choice here, as these are all terrific amps, and any one will make you happy for a lot of decades.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I am using an old Knight phono amplifier to run my archtop through. I had the input modified to accomodate a 1/4" jack and the output wired for 8 ohms. It has two RCA black plate 6L6 output tubes.

I began using this amp about a year ago and it has always had a very nice clean tone. (I use it with mainly wit my Guild X150.) However, volume wise, I could turn it up to 10 and I'd guess it wasn't putting out over 2 or 3 watts, even though it says 20 watts. In addition, it never clipped at full volume, but I guess that's by design.

Lately, the volume has dropped to about half of what I was originally getting. For a while it would get back up to its 2 or 3 watts after warming up for 30 minutes or so, but not any longer. My question is does this sound like a tube issue, i.e., is a loss of volume associated with tubes going bad?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Ziggy:

Myles,

I am using an old Knight phono amplifier to run my archtop through. I had the input modified to accomodate a 1/4" jack and the output wired for 8 ohms. It has two RCA black plate 6L6 output tubes.

I began using this amp about a year ago and it has always had a very nice clean tone. (I use it with mainly wit my Guild X150.) However, volume wise, I could turn it up to 10 and I'd guess it wasn't putting out over 2 or 3 watts, even though it says 20 watts. In addition, it never clipped at full volume, but I guess that's by design.

Lately, the volume has dropped to about half of what I was originally getting. For a while it would get back up to its 2 or 3 watts after warming up for 30 minutes or so, but not any longer. My question is does this sound like a tube issue, i.e., is a loss of volume associated with tubes going bad?

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks in advance.

Ziggy,

Change those tubes!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles - Any clue what is going on with this "Flood Control" thing? (See the "Flood Control" thread if this doesn't make sense).

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by NMcGuitar:

Myles - Any clue what is going on with this "Flood Control" thing? (See the "Flood Control" thread if this doesn't make sense).

NMcGuitar...........

Thanks ........ I will take a look.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

[/qb]

Ziggy,

Change those tubes![/QB]

Thanks, Myles. Right to the point. I like that. Two questions; Is it sufficient to replace the output tubes (the 6L6's) or do I need to change the others also? Secondly, as you know the RCA black plates are a bit pricey. Can you suggest any 6L6's that sound comparable at a lower price?

Thanks

I have a line on a Marshall JTM 60 1X12 combo for $450. I played through it a bit just at a low volume and was impressed especially with it's clean tone. The drive was nice too, it seemed like more of a blues amp than a metal monster.

I plan on playing through it again and possibly buying it but wanted to get some feedback from users. Is it true that this amp can be a bit un-reliable?

Any info would be appreciated.

Marzuki Grinage

Progressive Soul

Free Samples and Downloads

@ http://www.innerphonic.com

Originally posted by Ziggy:

Ziggy,

Change those tubes![/QB]

Thanks, Myles. Right to the point. I like that. Two questions; Is it sufficient to replace the output tubes (the 6L6's) or do I need to change the others also? Secondly, as you know the RCA black plates are a bit pricey. Can you suggest any 6L6's that sound comparable at a lower price?

Thanks[/QB]

Ziggy -

A lot of specs and characteristics are on my personal website and in my Tube Primer on the website.

Good tubes are expensive, so finding any great 6L6 is not going to be cheap. I'd use the GT-6L6GE's in my clients amps when the original tubes are gone.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by Marzuki Grinage:

I have a line on a Marshall JTM 60 1X12 combo for $450. I played through it a bit just at a low volume and was impressed especially with it's clean tone. The drive was nice too, it seemed like more of a blues amp than a metal monster.

I plan on playing through it again and possibly buying it but wanted to get some feedback from users. Is it true that this amp can be a bit un-reliable?

Any info would be appreciated.

Marzuki Grinage ..........

This is a complex amp built on a thinner circuit board, with heat from the tubes being transferred directly to the PCB. So, step one is make sure the amp is biased properly.

There are also a lot of interconnects, so be carefull in transporting the amp if possible. A good road case would be a good investment.

These amps also are somewhat small with a LOT packed inside. Lots of heat will be generated, and at high levels, the speaker vibration is going to loosen stuff inside (just like a Mesa Mark series combo), so a few times a year, tear down the amp and refasten everything.

This is just part of the routine stuff on these amps. No big deal, and the amps sound nice and lots of folks use them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Hey myles, does groove tube carry the 12AX7-EH? If so which model is it?

rsf1977.............

Yes, it is the 12AX7R3.

If you read my Tube Primer, you would have known that :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr