Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

hey, i had another question. I'm considering getting a second guitar amp set at different EQ settings to recreate the 2 guitar player feel.

But the one thing I can't figure out is how to use effects that I want to put in the effects loop? How do I get them to go through both amps? Or can you?

-- Support Independent Music --

www.randallflagg.com

Originally posted by rsf1977:

Hey I saw this band the Hot Snakes and the guitar player did this thing where he tuned his amp head around and then put his guitar up to the tubes and it started making this wierd feedback kinda chirping sound. What do you think was happening and would it be bad for your tubes?

rsf1977 ....

Basically, his guitar has a ground, and he is just disturbing the gounding scheme in the amp. This is not all that great as it can form certain ocillations.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by rsf1977:

hey, i had another question. I'm considering getting a second guitar amp set at different EQ settings to recreate the 2 guitar player feel.

But the one thing I can't figure out is how to use effects that I want to put in the effects loop? How do I get them to go through both amps? Or can you?

rsf1977 ....

I use either a "Y" cord, and A/B/Y box or a mono in / stereo out pedal. I don't like to compromise the effects loops and have one amp's preamp coloration impact the other amp's, and this is what happens if you use the effects loop of one amp to drive the other.

In multi input Fender amps and 4 input Marshalls, you can chain the inputs.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Miles,

I am trying to get my DynaKit Stereo 70 up working again, and need a pair of 7199 tubes. Where would you suggest I look for them? Craig said they would work, but are weak. I'll be putting in a set of Tesla EL34s for the power section.

I wanted to get a nice tube sound for my DJ gigs with the Dynakit Stereo 70 and a pair of Klipsch La Scalas. What do you think?

I think I first communicated with you in October when I was trying to get my Silver Jubilee up and running. It is and I am now on to my next project. Always appreciate the help!

Can you own too many guitars????

Originally posted by pksdabombdj:

Hey Miles,

I am trying to get my DynaKit Stereo 70 up working again, and need a pair of 7199 tubes. Where would you suggest I look for them? Craig said they would work, but are weak. I'll be putting in a set of Tesla EL34s for the power section.

I wanted to get a nice tube sound for my DJ gigs with the Dynakit Stereo 70 and a pair of Klipsch La Scalas. What do you think?

I think I first communicated with you in October when I was trying to get my Silver Jubilee up and running. It is and I am now on to my next project. Always appreciate the help!

pksdabombdj ....

Most of the folks running Dyna 70's seem to use EL-34's in there in a high range (so the are very clean), and the Tesla (actually now JJ) are pretty nice.

As far as the 7199 (pendode/triode), there are a few folks to try that I send a lot of my blueprinting folks to .... all of them I trust a lot:

Mike at KCA (http://www.kcanostubes.com)

has:

7199's:(Back to Index)

NOS Raytheon (US), JAN Philips---------------------------------------------$ 32

Get your Dynaco ST-70 running at full tilt.

NOS RCA-------------------------------------------------------------------------$ 38

.... try Mike first.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

In your reply to rsf1977 ....

"I use either a "Y" cord, and A/B/Y box or a mono in / stereo out pedal. I don't like to compromise the effects loops and have one amp's preamp coloration impact the other amp's, and this is what happens if you use the effects loop of one amp to drive the other."

First, why a 'Y' cord with the A/B/Y Box? I thought I would only need an A/B/Y Box to play through my JC55 and Randall Tube Pro.

Second, I was thinking specifically of purposely driving the preamp of the Randall with the guitar, coming out of the effects loop and then split (w/ A/B/Y Box) to both the JC55 (has EFX loop) solid state power output section and the Randall (has EFX loop) tube power output section to get a tube overdriven sound out of the JC55 (solid state). Should I reconsider? Will any damage occur?

Myles, again (and again, .... etc.) thank you in advance for your learned reply, Dave.

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

Hi Miles,

I have been messing around with the preamp compliment in my 30th aniv. Marshall.

I'm really happy with channel 2, it gives a great blues/rock vibe.

Channel 3 (lead) has never sounded great until I tried a GT12AX7 on the weekend.

These two channels share the first tube (V2), a NOS Brimar. Channel 3 is now running through the GT for the 2nd and 3rd gain stage. This tube colours the tone alot more than I thought it would which is great because I wanted a heavier sound from the 3rd channel.

My question is, can you tell me what original brand the GT might be? It is probably just a few years old, since I stole it from another amp that was retubed a few years ago. It has the usual GT logo with no 'made in...' and only states 'GT12AX7', no 'A', 'C' or 'R' or whatever.

Any suggestions on the original brand?

Thanks,

Shaun.

Originally posted by snoz65:

Hi Miles,

I have been messing around with the preamp compliment in my 30th aniv. Marshall.

I'm really happy with channel 2, it gives a great blues/rock vibe.

Channel 3 (lead) has never sounded great until I tried a GT12AX7 on the weekend.

These two channels share the first tube (V2), a NOS Brimar. Channel 3 is now running through the GT for the 2nd and 3rd gain stage. This tube colours the tone alot more than I thought it would which is great because I wanted a heavier sound from the 3rd channel.

My question is, can you tell me what original brand the GT might be? It is probably just a few years old, since I stole it from another amp that was retubed a few years ago. It has the usual GT logo with no 'made in...' and only states 'GT12AX7', no 'A', 'C' or 'R' or whatever.

Any suggestions on the original brand?

Thanks,

Shaun.

Shaun,

It is hard to say what it may be. There are a lot of GT 12AX7's, and at least now they have names like 12AX7R or 12AX7C to keep that straight.

The old 12AX7 may be USA NOS or the older Chinese or even a Sovtek 12AX7WA.

If you can lie the tube on a scanner, or try to describe the plate structure, perhaps I can help.

The entire list of current GT tubes are at http://www.groovetubes.com/tubes_list.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=107 and there are pictures of each tube, not all that big or great, but it may be enough.

You can also call me toll free at 1-800-459-5687 and we can try to figure it out via the phone.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by myles111:

It is hard to say what it may be. There are a lot of GT 12AX7's, and at least now they have names like 12AX7R or 12AX7C to keep that straight.

If you can lie the tube on a scanner, or try to describe the plate structure, perhaps I can help.

The entire list of current GT tubes are at http://www.groovetubes.com/tubes_list.cfm?ObjectGroup_ID=107 and there are pictures of each tube, not all that big or great, but it may be enough.

You can also call me toll free at 1-800-459-5687 and we can try to figure it out via the phone.

Thanks Miles,

I don't have a scanner at hand but I can describe the tube a bit from memory.

It looks the same as the Marshall branded tubes that I pulled out of my early '90's 30th aniversary. The Marshall ones sound like shite. This one sounds great however.

It has a square getter and has two little shinny silver brackets on the plates.

Hope this helps. :)

Shaun.

myles,

maybe an easy question;

sometimes i run a line out of my effects loop "SEND" straight into a recorder for (quiet) home recording (with nothing pluged into the RETURN). what i have noticed is that when i try to turn the volume up (with only the line out pluged in) nothing happens. it gets to a certain level and then the volume pot just spins.

this does not bother me, cuz i am able to get the levels i need to record, but i am concerned i may be stressing the amp (2 X 6L6, 60W).

would this mean the effects loop is series?

could i harm my amp this way?

and totally on another topic; what would be the general effect in changing pot values for Volume and Gain?

thanks,

john

Thanks Miles,

I don't have a scanner at hand but I can describe the tube a bit from memory.

It looks the same as the Marshall branded tubes that I pulled out of my early '90's 30th aniversary. The Marshall ones sound like shite. This one sounds great however.

It has a square getter and has two little shinny silver brackets on the plates.

Hope this helps. :)

Shaun.

Shaun .....

Good enough .... with the brackets on the plates and the square getter, it is 4th of 5th generation Chinese. Some folks loved these. They were either great or awful, a lot of inconsistancy, but if you got a good one, they lasted forever.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by johnny5:

myles,

maybe an easy question;

sometimes i run a line out of my effects loop "SEND" straight into a recorder for (quiet) home recording (with nothing pluged into the RETURN). what i have noticed is that when i try to turn the volume up (with only the line out pluged in) nothing happens. it gets to a certain level and then the volume pot just spins.

this does not bother me, cuz i am able to get the levels i need to record, but i am concerned i may be stressing the amp (2 X 6L6, 60W).

and totally on another topic; what would be the general effect in changing pot values for Volume and Gain?

thanks,

john

John,

On your loop recording method, it depends on the amp, and whether it is a serial or parallel effects loop. It also depends on where the loop is in the chain. I'd stay away from doing this, as you are getting none of the output section and character of the amp. Go get something like a THD Hot Plate.

You will not stress the amp as long as the amp has a load on it. Some amps also have a shorting jack, so when the speakers are disconnected, the power amp B+ is shut off.

Pot values change gain structure. As an example, if everything else remained the same on a typical Fender Black Face era amp ....

The mid pot is a 10k pot. At 1000 hz, the output is -26 with the pot set at "5".

Now, if we changed this pot to a 250k pot, as used in some other positions or amps, we would now be -7db down at 1000Hz, or in essence, we'd have a mid range gain of almost 20db.

Considering to raise a level by only 3db takes two times the power (like we'd have to go from a 50 watt amp to a 100 watt amp to get 3db of gain), going 19db in this case would be a huge jump.

This is one reason a 50 watt Marshall appears to be a lot more agressive and "louder" at a given setting, than 50 watt Fener amp. It's the "tone stack" in the front end.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Shaun .....

Good enough .... with the brackets on the plates and the square getter, it is 4th of 5th generation Chinese. Some folks loved these. They were either great or awful, a lot of inconsistancy, but if you got a good one, they lasted forever.

Wow the difference in tone is quite amazing. Thanks for your insight Miles. I had to go back and try some other tubes incase my ears were playing tricks on me, but that one bottle is a far better sounding tube than any of the other six or seven Chinese tubes that I have spare.

Looks like I'll be hanging those on the Christmas tree as decorations. :D

Shaun.

Originally posted by johnny5:

myles,

maybe an easy question;

thanks,

john

John,

On your loop recording method, it depends on the amp, and whether it is a serial or parallel effects loop. It also depends on where the loop is in the chain. I'd stay away from doing this, as you are getting none of the output section and character of the amp. Go get something like a THD Hot Plate.

You will not stress the amp as long as the amp has a load on it. Some amps also have a shorting jack, so when the speakers are disconnected, the power amp B+ is shut off.

Pot values change gain structure. As an example, if everything else remained the same on a typical Fender Black Face era amp ....

The mid pot is a 10k pot. At 1000 hz, the output is -26 with the pot set at "5".

Now, if we changed this pot to a 250k pot, as used in some other positions or amps, we would now be -7db down at 1000Hz, or in essence, we'd have a mid range gain of almost 20db.

Considering to raise a level by only 3db takes two times the power (like we'd have to go from a 50 watt amp to a 100 watt amp to get 3db of gain), going 19db in this case would be a huge jump.

This is one reason a 50 watt Marshall appears to be a lot more agressive and "louder" at a given setting, than 50 watt Fener amp. It's the "tone stack" in the front end.

myles,

thanks.

so if i decided to try some different pot values (slightly larger)out to get a little more pre-amp gain, it would not demand to much of the power supply? or anything else for that matter? i am interested in tweeking and have an idea what tweeks do sonically but am unsure how they effect the rest of the components.

i started with inexpensive pedals so if i ruined it, it wasn't so bad. i don't want to destroy my amps.

john

Shaun .....

Wow the difference in tone is quite amazing. Thanks for your insight Miles. I had to go back and try some other tubes incase my ears were playing tricks on me, but that one bottle is a far better sounding tube than any of the other six or seven Chinese tubes that I have spare.

Looks like I'll be hanging those on the Christmas tree as decorations. :D

Shaun.

Shaun,

Glad I could be of some help.

Good luck on Christmas.

You can always have somebody spring for one of the ten tube kits (where you get to pick which tubes you want) from some of the backstock I have from my tour support ....

http://www.groovetubes.com/product.cfm?Product_ID=1883

I have a few of these sets on ebay, but you can use the link above to get them direct. This is sort of a "hidden" area on the GT website. Since I maintain their website, I guess they let me put some of the special projects out there that I come up with at times :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles:

For the holidays, I am treating myself to a Tung-Sol 5881, Weber Blue Dog speaker and new caps for my Champ 12 (have been planning this for a while).

The Blue Dog is available in 15, 30, and 50 watt models. Since it's a 15 watt amp, I'm assuming the 15 watt speaker will work since I want some breakup. Or is this not a good idea? Should I go with the 30 watt for safety?

I also want to get new caps. Solen fast caps are not electrolytic (they're metallized polypropylene). Can they still be used as filter caps?

Thanks,

Gabriel

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Hi Myles:

For the holidays, I am treating myself to a Tung-Sol 5881, Weber Blue Dog speaker and new caps for my Champ 12 (have been planning this for a while).

The Blue Dog is available in 15, 30, and 50 watt models. Since it's a 15 watt amp, I'm assuming the 15 watt speaker will work since I want some breakup. Or is this not a good idea? Should I go with the 30 watt for safety?

I also want to get new caps. Solen fast caps are not electrolytic (they're metallized polypropylene). Can they still be used as filter caps?

Thanks,

Gabriel

Gabriel ....

First off .... I wish I was where you live for the holidays instead of where I live.

Moving on ....

Teh Tung Sol 5881 is perhaps, one of the best sounding and longest lasting tubes in the 6L6 family. It's smaller bottle fools a lot of folks into thinking it has less power, but these were heavy duty and highly spec'd tubes for industrial applications, and are just fantastic.

The Weber speakers are another winner. These all differ a bit on cone weight and magnet strength. In your amp, I would go with the 30 watter, as your amp can deliver a lot more power than it's factory rating lended one to believe. It is also a little "tighter" than the 15 watter, and may be a few db more efficient (I am not sure of that though without looking some things up).

The Blue Dogs are (or at one time were) available with either ceramic or AlNico magnets. The AlNico's are a bit more vintage and smoother, while the ceramic magnets are tighter one could say I guess. This is all personal preference, so I cannot help you there.

You may want to call Weber directly and talk to one of the folks for their take on this.

On caps, it depends on where the cap will be used. Power supply caps are polorized, while caps used in RC tone networks are not in many cases. So here we have two different filter applications.

For tone circuits, the metal foil / oil caps are the most vintage sounding. The Sprague Orange Drops are pretty nice also.

Mallory series 150 coupling caps are used by some boutique folks, and are not expensive. They are less than the Sprague's, but to me, it is worth the extra money. (we are talking maybe 75 cents retail versus $1.25 retail maybe). A great Jensen foil/oil cap will run as much as $10.00 for comparison. Sprague Atom caps are great, but maybe 1/2 that of a Jensen. There are even NOS caps like the old Astrons that were used in a lot of Fender amps. Just like tubes, with capacitors it never ends :)

Resistors are also critical to some folks. Carbon composition resistors are, to some, more musical sounding, and as they warm up their resistance changes, and folks love this if their taste is toward vintage and like "feel" in their amps.

Hope this was not too confusing :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Not confusing at all Myles. Thanks for the advice (I'm going with the Tung-Sol based on previous help you gave me). I'll go with the 30 watt alnico speaker.

The caps are power-supply filter caps -47uf/400V. Maybe I'll try some Mallorys.I have some paper in oil signal caps in my 5F4 and that amp sounds better with them. The Champ is circuit board construction and is a lot harder to work on so I'm sticking to the basics for now.

While I may be here for the holidays, I wish I was where you are during the summer.

Not confusing at all Myles. Thanks for the advice (I'm going with the Tung-Sol based on previous help you gave me). I'll go with the 30 watt alnico speaker.

The caps are power-supply filter caps -47uf/400V. Maybe I'll try some Mallorys.I have some paper in oil signal caps in my 5F4 and that amp sounds better with them. The Champ is circuit board construction and is a lot harder to work on so I'm sticking to the basics for now.

While I may be here for the holidays, I wish I was where you are during the summer.

Gabriel ....

Glad I could help.

Power supply filter caps are not nearly as critical in the sound path as the caps used in the tone circuits, so you should be fine and dandy with most any decent cap.

The Tung Sol's are killer. Your amp will put a deluxe reverb to shame in some areas actually.

Funny .... I normally come to your area in the summers! It is hot, humid, and most tourists steer clear at that time of year so the hotels are cheaper and one can walk all around the Quarter with less folks in the way.

By the way, there is, or was, a cool restaurant called Peristyle (I may have spelled it wrong), that is, on a scale of 1-10, about a 25. Try it!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I'm still a little confused about the Solens. I hear what you're saying about polarized electrolytics normally being used as power supply filter caps (that's what my amps currently have). However some boutique manufacturers such as Carr boast of using Solen Polypropylene filter caps. ??

In the parts list for the single-ended 6v6 project amp at Angela Instruments thay suggest subbing a Polypropolene for a 16uf/475v electrolytic.

By the way, there is, or was, a cool restaurant called Peristyle (I may have spelled it wrong), that is, on a scale of 1-10, about a 25. Try it!
We've been meaning to go there for a while. The owner/executive chef was a cutomer of mine a few years back. It was a big deal when she opened it because she was only 30 at the time. She made it onto the cover of Wine Spectator too.

Next time you're planning on coming to town, let me know. I know some cool places to eat.

I'm still a little confused about the Solens. I hear what you're saying about polarized electrolytics normally being used as power supply filter caps (that's what my amps currently have). However some boutique manufacturers such as Carr boast of using Solen Polypropylene filter caps. ??

In the parts list for the single-ended 6v6 project amp at Angela Instruments thay suggest subbing a Polypropolene for a 16uf/475v electrolytic.

We've been meaning to go there for a while. The owner/executive chef was a cutomer of mine a few years back. It was a big deal when she opened it because she was only 30 at the time. She made it onto the cover of Wine Spectator too.

Next time you're planning on coming to town, let me know. I know some cool places to eat.

Gabriel ....

The Solen "fast caps" are nice, and Steve Carr does use these. His amps are something of a testimonial to things done very right, so he is a good source of info.

On subsituting a non polorized cap for one that was polarized, I'd need to look at the circuit. There are not too many 475v caps at that mf rating that I can think of that are not polorized.

On Peristyle .... there are a lot of great restaurants in New Orleans (Commander's Palace may be over the top as far as "trendy", but it is also a super place), and there are tons others. You have ten great restaurants for every one great one here in Los Angeles as far as I am concerned. Peristyle to me was just killer.

There is also an inexpensive place, and I cannot remember the name, but there is a major street that runs out of the French Quarter, but on the side away from Riverwalk. There is a B&B a few miles up that road where my wife and I stay, and more North of the B&B, a restaurant that is not air conditioned, and even sort of open, that has the best duck I ever ate. .... anywhere. I can find it all the time, just don't know the street names anywhere!

Before I get ready to get back to that area, I will post something here, as there are a few other folks there that I'd like to see also. Don't worry ... I always have my tools and generally a fair amount of free tubes and stuff :)

P.S. ..... I called my wife. The place we stay is called "The House on Bayou Road" at 2275 Bayou Rd. The great duck restaurant is more North of that, about 5 minutes by United Cab, shorter and faster than any other cab company in the area ! :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

The Solens are rated at 400 and 630 volts.

Solen

The restaurant you mentioned is probably Cafe Degas. Just ate there last month - Yum! It's in my neighborhood. As is the place you stay which is right by the Rastafarian church.

I'm feeling kinda free right now, so i figured i should ask myles....

Myles,

I have a small practice amp: A 1975 Peavey Pacer SS-100

I know it's solid state, and it's nowhere near the caliber of units you normally service, but the principles will still apply.

It's got some pots on the front (primarily the pre-volume and master-volume) that seem to have some `angry spots' in them.

I.e. if you gradually turn up the "master" volume, the sound will get gradually louder (as it should), until you get to a few positions where it will drop off to a whisper, and a few others where it will be as if you've got it cranked. Yet other volume positions it will just sit and make this really strange squeaky hum. (not sure how else to describe the noise).

I know dirt in the pots can cause the dropouts in volume (gets between the contacts and increases the electrical resistance) but in the case where a few volume positions are much louder than what they should be (an internal short in the pot?) could this also be caused by dirt and/or some form of conductive contamination? Maybe rust? (the amp sat in storage for about 2.5 years)

I've had the amp apart once before (fixed a broken wire in the reverb circuit) and it looks like all the pots are soldered directly to a (suprisingly small) circuit boad. Desoldering/Resoldering new pots in may be a bit beyond my abilities, and my guess is the amp is probably not worth taking to someone. A Classic Series yes, a Pacer, no. :D

Should i try to `clean' the pots with some of that aerosol spray stuff, or will this be difficult/pointless? Are they already shot?

Even though it's all i have at the moment, you won't hurt my feelings if you have to tell me it's beyond reasonable repair and it should be thrown away. :D

I greatly appreciate your time, Myles.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Hey Myles,

In your reply to rsf1977 ....

"I use either a "Y" cord, and A/B/Y box or a mono in / stereo out pedal. I don't like to compromise the effects loops and have one amp's preamp coloration impact the other amp's, and this is what happens if you use the effects loop of one amp to drive the other."

First, why a 'Y' cord with the A/B/Y Box? I thought I would only need an A/B/Y Box to play through my JC55 and Randall Tube Pro.

Second, I was thinking specifically of purposely driving the preamp of the Randall with the guitar, coming out of the effects loop and then split (w/ A/B/Y Box) to both the JC55 (has EFX loop) solid state power output section and the Randall (has EFX loop) tube power output section to get a tube overdriven sound out of the JC55 (solid state). Should I reconsider? Will any damage occur?

Dave

Gotta' geetar... got the amp. There must be SOMEthing else I... "need".

By the way i have a dan electro mini amp(don't know what model but its plastic :( and it about the size of my hand yea it's a small bugger) and it sorta doesn't work liek when it's at certain angles it doesn't amplify the sound but sometimes it does. Do you think it's my cable thigny to my guitar? Thx myles.
In Skynyrd We Trust

Originally posted by Da LadY In The Pink Dress:

im sry about this stupid question but i really need someone to explain to me what all the various amps are (power amp, pre amp, tubes, etc) and the other little stuff like the tubes. thx in advance myles

Lady,

There is not really enough space to do that here, but you may want to start on my website, as a lot is explained there.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

The Solens are rated at 400 and 630 volts.

Solen

The restaurant you mentioned is probably Cafe Degas. Just ate there last month - Yum! It's in my neighborhood. As is the place you stay which is right by the Rastafarian church.

Gabriel,

I don't remember the name, but it is not your typical new building or restaurant building. It is almost as if it were converted from a house.

You walk up steps, the cashier and kitchen too, I think are when you first walk in. You turn to the right to get to the tables. I think there is stairs, lot a lot, and there were a lot of plants inside. Wood floors, somewhat uneven. Not at all what one would call modern or trendy, but great folks and killer food.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr