Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

myles_rose

Hi, Would you be able to help with a question about a guitar rack system? I need some advise on the best way to power a rig im putting together:

Sansamp PSA 1 (got this from Germany so its got a euro plug on it, so i use a UK adaptor).

Peavey 50/50 (standard uk plug)

Rocktron Xpression (this requires 9VAC power via a some what over sized US 120v AC adaptor plug going in to a step down converter)

Another AC adaptor is also in the back of the rack, this powers a midi mate foot controler through the Xpressions phantom midi power output.

I will be adding some more bits soon such as:

Marshall JMP-1

Perhaps a BBE sonic maximizer

plus a couple of others, etc etc....

Im in the UK by the way

So my quetion is, what is the best way to power the whole lot in a way that will fit securely in the rack case. I have been looking at things like the samson Power brite products but these seam to have standard IEC connectors, rather than UK sockets.

How do other guitarists with racks power their rigs?

Ideas and advice please?

Hi Miles,

If I play some big chords for a few minutes, the amp sounds like it's cutting out and then a really huge hum happens. If I put volume all the way down, it's still humming. If I switch it to standby and back the hum is still there. This hum is louder than the amp would be if it was functioning.

What tubes should I look at first?

Amp: Heritage Kenny Burrell Combo - 2x6L6 and 12ax7's for the pre I think.

Thanks

Hi, Would you be able to help with a question about a guitar rack system? I need some advise on the best way to power a rig im putting together:

Sansamp PSA 1 (got this from Germany so its got a euro plug on it, so i use a UK adaptor).

Peavey 50/50 (standard uk plug)

Rocktron Xpression (this requires 9VAC power via a some what over sized US 120v AC adaptor plug going in to a step down converter)

Another AC adaptor is also in the back of the rack, this powers a midi mate foot controler through the Xpressions phantom midi power output.

I will be adding some more bits soon such as:

Marshall JMP-1

Perhaps a BBE sonic maximizer

plus a couple of others, etc etc....

Im in the UK by the way

So my quetion is, what is the best way to power the whole lot in a way that will fit securely in the rack case. I have been looking at things like the samson Power brite products but these seam to have standard IEC connectors, rather than UK sockets.

How do other guitarists with racks power their rigs?

Ideas and advice please?

There are so many ways and so many variables that to try to put it together here without the two of us face to face with a piece of paper to plan it on would be next to impossible.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Hi Miles,

If I play some big chords for a few minutes, the amp sounds like it's cutting out and then a really huge hum happens. If I put volume all the way down, it's still humming. If I switch it to standby and back the hum is still there. This hum is louder than the amp would be if it was functioning.

What tubes should I look at first?

Amp: Heritage Kenny Burrell Combo - 2x6L6 and 12ax7's for the pre I think.

Thanks

Sounds like either a bad output tube set, bias is wrong, or you lost a power supply filter cap.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

I got this(see pic) in the mid 80's and its mostly sat since then. Just getting back into it.

1. Its 200 watts but Im not sure if its a bass head or a guitar head.

2.The knobs are scratchy & intermittent. Shld i take that elec spray cleaner and spray them while rotating them?

3. I like the sound but was wondering if the tubes shld be replaced since its so old.

Any other info/comments abt it you can provide wld be helpful also.

thanks for your time.

BR

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/RocketRick/Uni-Vox.jpg

Money may buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Myles,

I got this(see pic) in the mid 80's and its mostly sat since then. Just getting back into it.

1. Its 200 watts but Im not sure if its a bass head or a guitar head.

2.The knobs are scratchy & intermittent. Shld i take that elec spray cleaner and spray them while rotating them?

3. I like the sound but was wondering if the tubes shld be replaced since its so old.

Any other info/comments abt it you can provide wld be helpful also.

thanks for your time.

BR

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b79/RocketRick/Uni-Vox.jpg

Clean and lube all the pots, check and/or replace any tubes that test weak in the front end and replace the output set if there is one.

This is a tube amp?

I am aware of Univox but know nothing about this amp and at 200 watts it would need a quad of 6550s or KT88s and it looks small to house those and the associated transformers.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles.

It is a tube amp. I read some print on the back and it's output is 60 watts. also, beside the model no is the word Lead so i guess its for guitar but i use it for bass. wonder if that wld hurt it?

Here's a pic of the back.(hope the link to the pic works)

http://file///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rocket.RICK.000/My%20Documents/Music/My%20Guitar%20Pics/univox_back.jpg

Myles,

Here's the pic of the back on the Univox head. It has 2 large tubes a row of smaller ones to the right. Dont guess you need the kind?

One weird part is a metal box attached to the inside of the back cover with 2 wires that plug into inside. Never seen that before.

thanks for your time and expertise.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w292/Bluedog_bucket/Univox_back.jpg

Myles,

Here's the pic of the back on the Univox head. It has 2 large tubes a row of smaller ones to the right. Dont guess you need the kind?

One weird part is a metal box attached to the inside of the back cover with 2 wires that plug into inside. Never seen that before.

thanks for your time and expertise.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w292/Bluedog_bucket/Univox_back.jpg

Those wires are going to a reverb tank ... it is a guitar amp.

The output tubes look like 6L6 output tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles.

It is a tube amp. I read some print on the back and it's output is 60 watts. also, beside the model no is the word Lead so i guess its for guitar but i use it for bass. wonder if that wld hurt it?

Here's a pic of the back.(hope the link to the pic works)

http://file///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Rocket.RICK.000/My%20Documents/Music/My%20Guitar%20Pics/univox_back.jpg

You can use it for bass, it is the speakers you would have to watch out for, not the amp.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I've developed an interest in possibly building a "kit amp". I'd like to start with something small, like a champ. My son's headed to college next year, and I'd like to build it with him, and give it to him to take to school. So, a champ like amp would allow him to use it in a dorm or apartment.

I've replaced pu's in guitars, and wired guitars that I've built. But, that's about the extent of my electronics knowledge...pretty limited. I'm hoping this build will help me learn some about amps and tubes, etc..

Who's kit would you recommend??

Thanks for your anticipated help!!

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Myles,

Question about the Groove Tube Solo - 75...

As I look at the back amp towards the front, there are 5 pre tubes...

Left Front , Left Back

Center Front, Center Back

Single tube on the Right...

What are the main functions of these tubes, Which has most effect on channel 1, then channel 2....am I assume that the tube on the right is the PI tube...

Any info would be great!!

Thanks!

Hi Myles,

I've developed an interest in possibly building a "kit amp". I'd like to start with something small, like a champ. My son's headed to college next year, and I'd like to build it with him, and give it to him to take to school. So, a champ like amp would allow him to use it in a dorm or apartment.

I've replaced pu's in guitars, and wired guitars that I've built. But, that's about the extent of my electronics knowledge...pretty limited. I'm hoping this build will help me learn some about amps and tubes, etc..

Who's kit would you recommend??

Thanks for your anticipated help!!

Don,

A Champ is a great first amp project and a great amp to keep forever.

Mojo Tone or Mojo Music Supply has a very nice kit that many folks have used. There are many of them out there but this is a standard.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Question about the Groove Tube Solo - 75...

As I look at the back amp towards the front, there are 5 pre tubes...

Left Front , Left Back

Center Front, Center Back

Single tube on the Right...

What are the main functions of these tubes, Which has most effect on channel 1, then channel 2....am I assume that the tube on the right is the PI tube...

Any info would be great!!

Thanks!

Hit the GT website and go into the archive section ... you can download the manual.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles,

Im back to discuss my fender Deluxe. This time, it's about output, there's quite a lot of it, and consequently, there is an abscence of overdrive without a pedal, which brings me to the option of a mod. I considered power attentuator's, but those are out of my price range.

So, i have to ask, do you know of any mods that can reduce output by a few decibels and increase the gain of the overdrive (almost in the Marshall range). I really hate to do this, but something really has to be done.

Or, if you have any other alternatives, please tell me.

Thanks in advance,

Zephyr

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

in regards to the GT SOLO -75..

The manual didn't really say which tube was for which..

I gather that 2 tubes are probably used for the effects loop, one is the Phase Inverter...as for the other two, it seems they may both effect channel 2 (scream)...Do you know, and could you explain which is what each tube is for, and how it may effect the overall sound, and which ones I really need to concentrate on to alter sound on this? I have done a bit of swapping in it, and want a little more head knowledge of what is being effected to go along with my ears...

Thanks!!!

Hey Myles,

Im back to discuss my fender Deluxe. This time, it's about output, there's quite a lot of it, and consequently, there is an abscence of overdrive without a pedal, which brings me to the option of a mod. I considered power attentuator's, but those are out of my price range.

So, i have to ask, do you know of any mods that can reduce output by a few decibels and increase the gain of the overdrive (almost in the Marshall range). I really hate to do this, but something really has to be done.

Thanks in advance,

Zephyr

Tweed deluxe .... hot rod deluxe ... deluxe tolex .... deluxe reverb?

and when you tell me that repeat the question as I do not remember the questions as I answer many every day.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

in regards to the GT SOLO -75..

The manual didn't really say which tube was for which..

I gather that 2 tubes are probably used for the effects loop, one is the Phase Inverter...as for the other two, it seems they may both effect channel 2 (scream)...Do you know, and could you explain which is what each tube is for, and how it may effect the overall sound, and which ones I really need to concentrate on to alter sound on this? I have done a bit of swapping in it, and want a little more head knowledge of what is being effected to go along with my ears...

Thanks!!!

Send an email to lab@groovetubes.com and Jimmy will send you docs or explain.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

and when you tell me that repeat the question as I do not remember the questions as I answer many every day.

Sorry Myles,

I have a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and this is my original question:

Hey Myles,

Thanks in advance,

Zephyr

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Sorry Myles,

I have a Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue, and this is my original question:

Hey Myles,

Thanks in advance,

Zephyr

6V6C or R in a #2-3 rating biased at 20-24 mA

If you put a 12AX7 in V6 rather than the stock 12AT7 you will also make the amp more agressive and have less clean headroom at lower levels.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Thanks Myles,

But being an amp novice, i have some further questions:

On the Groove Tube website, they said that the 6V6-S, has very aggressive tone, although, it has higher output. Would that be a compromise compared to the set that comes stock, or would a 6V6-R be a better bet?

Also, i assume you mean to replace the preamp tube in the sixth slot (going from right to left)?

HI there Myles. I have a Trayner Tube amp, YCV40. Recently Ive noticed more amp noise in my recordings, the process has been gradual. Its like quiet static fuzzy sound that is constant. It also makes a pop sound within the first hour of it warmed up. I changed the tubes but that didnt change the fuzz or the pops. The fuzz isnt very loud, but you can hear it in the recording and this is without any gain. Now when I swith to the gain channel.. the static is gone and the amp sounds much better all around. Any thoughts? Thanks a lot!!

Myles,

My stepson has taken it upon himself to build me a 5E3 kit. I'm looking for some recomendations.

I play jazzy type material in both a big band and in a guitar sax duo. My main guitar is a Byrdland. I like clean headroom, I don't like pre-amp distortion. I like power section distortion up to the point where the sound thickens up. Not quite grinding, just thicker sounding. I like dark sounding tones. I almost never use the bridge p'up on any guitar, and I frequently turn down the tone knob a tick.

I am looking for the amp to sound more true to vintage as opposed to a hopped up Deluxe.

Soooo, I need some input:

Speakers???? Celestion Greenback or Jensen P12R or P12Q? Why?

Tubes? I've got no idea where to go with this.

You once recommended 6L6R2's at a #2 to #3 rating for my SF twin reverb, which I still really like. I think I might need to go to a higher # to get some headroom out of a low watt amp.

Thanks in advance.

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Thanks Myles,

But being an amp novice, i have some further questions:

On the Groove Tube website, they said that the 6V6-S, has very aggressive tone, although, it has higher output. Would that be a compromise compared to the set that comes stock, or would a 6V6-R be a better bet?

Also, i assume you mean to replace the preamp tube in the sixth slot (going from right to left)?

I prefer the R. The S sounds more like a 6L6 than a 6V6 and does not have the articulation of a good 6V6.

V6 is the farthest preamp tube from the input jacks.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr