Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

myles_rose

One more thing...What do you think about the Weber MASS attenuators and the Weber Load Dumps. I am considering one or the other to run with my Valve Jr. head. I'm not hell bent on an attenuator cause I know that its not really that loud of an amp, but it would be nice to quiet down my 410 cab and be able to play the amp wide open when the wife and son are in the other room. Thanks again.

Greg.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Greg,

To my thinking there is no need on this amp for an attenuator at all .... it is the reason the amp exists.

On speakers .... measure the terminals is a VOM ... an 8 ohm speaker will measure 6.5-7.5 ohms or so.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

Originally posted by Junior 1:

Miles,

Do I have to wire in a new 1/4 inch jack if I would like to use my Valve Junior combo as a speaker cab?

If you currently have a direct connect you would need to break it and provision to do this.

If the speaker currently plugs into the amp via a 1/4" male jack then you need a female-female 1/4" adaptor

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

On an Epiphone Valve junior head, what tubes would you use if you didn't want the amp to break up too easily, maybe not till you got the volume knob past 12 o'clock?

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Picker:

Myles,

On an Epiphone Valve junior head, what tubes would you use if you didn't want the amp to break up too easily, maybe not till you got the volume knob past 12 o'clock?

No matter what you use the amp is far into breakup at that point. That is what it is designed to do and no tube change will change the design.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

POSTED FOR IAN: hi,

I just bought a marshall jtm45/100 reissue stack but there is a noisy buzz from it when i switch on the amp and cab. i have checked the valves and they all seem fine, could it be picking up static from somewhere? Ive tried it in several locations though and its the same? Is there a general buzz from 100w amps anyway? it is a dual output head if that makes any difference..

Thanks

Ian

Originally posted by ellwood:

POSTED FOR IAN: hi,

I just bought a marshall jtm45/100 reissue stack but there is a noisy buzz from it when i switch on the amp and cab. i have checked the valves and they all seem fine, could it be picking up static from somewhere? Ive tried it in several locations though and its the same? Is there a general buzz from 100w amps anyway? it is a dual output head if that makes any difference..

Thanks

Ian

Ian,

This could be many things. The amp should see a techs bench.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

First let me say Thank You for all you have done and continue to do to help guitarist everywhere sound better. Could you please give me some advise on tubes to use in my Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12. I use the amp mostly for clean tones and use a Fulldrive 2 or OCD for my OD. I changed the speakers to a Vintage 30 & G12H30 and love them but the tubes are still fairly stock. I would like;

1. More clean headroom

2. A lower gain v2 to tame the drive channel

3. Maybe lower gain phase inverter (I've heard it helps these amps)

4. I don't mind spending $100 but I don't want to go crazy.

P.S. I was thinking of getting a set of THD yellow jackets for the amp for lower volume and because I love EL84s, any thoughts?

Thank You,

Mark

Originally posted by hiftbso:

Myles,

First let me say Thank You for all you have done and continue to do to help guitarist everywhere sound better. Could you please give me some advise on tubes to use in my Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12. I use the amp mostly for clean tones and use a Fulldrive 2 or OCD for my OD. I changed the speakers to a Vintage 30 & G12H30 and love them but the tubes are still fairly stock. I would like;

1. More clean headroom

P.S. I was thinking of getting a set of THD yellow jackets for the amp for lower volume and because I love EL84s, any thoughts?

Thank You,

Mark

Mark ... see below ....

Could you please give me some advise on tubes to use in my Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12. I use the amp mostly for clean tones and use a Fulldrive 2 or OCD for my OD. I changed the speakers to a Vintage 30 & G12H30 and love them but the tubes are still fairly stock. I would like;

1. More clean headroom

.......... A 5751 in V1 or a 12AT7 in V3. If that is not enough clean headroom go to a #8 output set of 6L6GE's and bias to 60mA at the Fender test point which measures both tubes.

..... This will not really tame the drive channel although you can try a 12AY7 in there and that will help some.

..... That is my 12AT7 suggestion in the phase inverter slot. You can also use an NOS 5751 and this will be smoother than the AT7.

..... These work great in these amps as do the GT 928-PR adaptors.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

hi myles

i have two of the new epi valve jr heads

playing through an ernie ball volumn/pan pedal which allows me either amp or combinations of the two depending on pedal position

the clean amp has g.t. 12au7-y/el84-s #8 hardness

the dirty amp has g.t. 12ax7-c/el84-s #2 hardness

they are each playing through identical 90w mesa black shadows (4x12 cab rewired as 2 2x12 speaker sets 16ohm)

my question: with the dirty amp set at say 9 oclock on the volumn knob, the clean amp must be set at 12 oclock to achieve the same room volumn

both amps are totally quiet, hum wise, when i'm not playing so i feel both are in good condition

what in your oppinion is the reason for this difference in volumn at a given volumn knob position

i really like this rig especially in light of the modest cost (2kids in college)

but am most curious about this

thank you much for any insight

ray

Originally posted by TELEBOY:

hi myles

i have two of the new epi valve jr heads

playing through an ernie ball volumn/pan pedal which allows me either amp or combinations of the two depending on pedal position

the clean amp has g.t. 12au7-y/el84-s #8 hardness

the dirty amp has g.t. 12ax7-c/el84-s #2 hardness

they are each playing through identical 90w mesa black shadows (4x12 cab rewired as 2 2x12 speaker sets 16ohm)

my question: with the dirty amp set at say 9 oclock on the volumn knob, the clean amp must be set at 12 oclock to achieve the same room volumn

both amps are totally quiet, hum wise, when i'm not playing so i feel both are in good condition

what in your oppinion is the reason for this difference in volumn at a given volumn knob position

i really like this rig especially in light of the modest cost (2kids in college)

but am most curious about this

thank you much for any insight

ray

The levels will differ because....

The #8 tube is actually a bit higher wattage than the #2.

The AX7 is a stronger and louder tube of the two preamp tubes.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles (great thread here), I was curious if you have had any experience with the Fender Prosonic effects loop. Apparantly, they run a little hot (+4db) and many have criticized its usability. I am very interested in buying this amp as I have read many great reviews, and it has all the features I need. I am concerned about the effects loop though. I run an analogue pedal board direct into my Blues Deville 212 now, but use a lexicon mpx100 in the loop where it seems to work well. Will I run into problems with this setup on a Prosonic? Are there mods to help with this - ie in/out levels etc. without changing the tone? I am willing to sink money into this amp if the results are worth it.

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi Myles (great thread here), I was curious if you have had any experience with the Fender Prosonic effects loop. Apparantly, they run a little hot (+4db) and many have criticized its usability. I am very interested in buying this amp as I have read many great reviews, and it has all the features I need. I am concerned about the effects loop though. I run an analogue pedal board direct into my Blues Deville 212 now, but use a lexicon mpx100 in the loop where it seems to work well. Will I run into problems with this setup on a Prosonic? Are there mods to help with this - ie in/out levels etc. without changing the tone? I am willing to sink money into this amp if the results are worth it.

:confused:

Originally posted by High5er:

:confused:

+4db is a standard level as is -10db. The loop is what the loop is and I'd just leave it alone rather than spend money modding it.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I've posted this in another thread. But, so far, no one seems to know the answer. So, I thought I'd ask you!

I've got a beautiful old Leslie Model 145 speaker cabinet. I am a major Clapton fan, and especially like his use of the Leslie speaker cab to obtain that shimmering, almost spooky, chorus like tone that nothing else can really reproduce. Mr. Leslie was a genius, IMO. My 145 has never been modified in any way. When I play thru the "foot pedal controler", it sounds great, but the volume is very low. It is so quiet, that there is no way to play my guitar thru the Leslie and be heard in a band setting. I've heard that Clapton's Leslie is modified in some way....??I've heard that he uses a Marshall JCM 800 to drive the speakers in the Leslie cab??

Do you know exactly how Clapton's Leslie is modified? Can I use my Marshall JCM 800 100 watt to drive the Leslie? Will I need to replace the speakers to handle the JCM 800's 100 watts of power?? How do I get my Leslie up and running properly? HELP ME!!!

Thanks, Miles. I appreciate your anticipated help and advice!

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Hi Myles, I wonder if you can give me some advice about a couple of BELOV amps that I have been asked to dispose of. I know nothing about them realy apart from they are Valve. One has a single 12inch and the other larger one has a 10 +12 inch.

The larger one also has a Reverb unit fitted.

There is also another stereo Valve amp all by itself (many valves).

If you can help me to identify them and then perhaps shed some light on their possible value.

I am happy to take some pictures and either post them up here or email them directly.

I hope this is not too impersonal, I was just searching around the web for info and notice that the people on this Forum seem to be realy into nice things, know their stuff and also very friendly.

Many thanks

;)

Originally posted by myles111:

Myles,

No matter what you use the amp is far into breakup at that point. That is what it is designed to do and no tube change will change the design.
Do you know of a tube amp about that output & price that doesn't break up that soon, and isn't a total piece of crap?

Originally posted by mdrs:

Hi Myles,

I've posted this in another thread. But, so far, no one seems to know the answer. So, I thought I'd ask you!

I've got a beautiful old Leslie Model 145 speaker cabinet. I am a major Clapton fan, and especially like his use of the Leslie speaker cab to obtain that shimmering, almost spooky, chorus like tone that nothing else can really reproduce. Mr. Leslie was a genius, IMO. My 145 has never been modified in any way. When I play thru the "foot pedal controler", it sounds great, but the volume is very low. It is so quiet, that there is no way to play my guitar thru the Leslie and be heard in a band setting. I've heard that Clapton's Leslie is modified in some way....??I've heard that he uses a Marshall JCM 800 to drive the speakers in the Leslie cab??

Do you know exactly how Clapton's Leslie is modified? Can I use my Marshall JCM 800 100 watt to drive the Leslie? Will I need to replace the speakers to handle the JCM 800's 100 watts of power?? How do I get my Leslie up and running properly? HELP ME!!!

Thanks, Miles. I appreciate your anticipated help and advice!

Don

Don,

You cannot drive a leslie off a JCM 800 .... even the loop levels, if there is a loop differ.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by hiddenvision:

Hi Myles, I wonder if you can give me some advice about a couple of BELOV amps that I have been asked to dispose of. I know nothing about them realy apart from they are Valve. One has a single 12inch and the other larger one has a 10 +12 inch.

The larger one also has a Reverb unit fitted.

There is also another stereo Valve amp all by itself (many valves).

If you can help me to identify them and then perhaps shed some light on their possible value.

I am happy to take some pictures and either post them up here or email them directly.

I hope this is not too impersonal, I was just searching around the web for info and notice that the people on this Forum seem to be realy into nice things, know their stuff and also very friendly.

Many thanks

;)

These are pretty decent amps but I have no prints on the them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles,

Do you know of a tube amp about that output & price that doesn't break up that soon, and isn't a total piece of crap?
All these new amps of this type are designed to break up quickly, even the expensive ones.

The cleanest of the small amps is the tweed champ.

www.pierson-amps.com and other folks too

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Don,

You cannot drive a leslie off a JCM 800 .... even the loop levels, if there is a loop differ.

--------------------

Myles S. Rose

Thanks for the reply, Myles. Do you know how Clapton uses his Leslie in his live rig? Does he simply mic it to the PA??

Thanks again,

Don

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Originally posted by mdrs:

Don,

--------------------

Myles S. Rose

Thanks for the reply, Myles. Do you know how Clapton uses his Leslie in his live rig? Does he simply mic it to the PA??

Thanks again,

Don

I do not know.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

quote:

Myles,

All these new amps of this type are designed to break up quickly, even the expensive ones.

and other folks too

Yeah, but they want a grand for that thing. DO you know of something for about the smae price point as the Valve Jr.?

quote:

quote:

Myles,

and other folks too

Yeah, but they want a grand for that thing. DO you know of something for about the smae price point as the Valve Jr.?

No.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I've been playing with circuit variations and OT's. Can you give me an answer to why my VJ combo when wired as a GA-5 and using the Mojo 771 OT does not have the bottom end of the GA-5? Can the difference in cabinet construction (particle board/MDF vs. plywood) and speaker baffle density and mounting be having that much bearing on speaker response.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/teleamp/Resizedcircuit.jpg

That photo does not show the latest changes: The circuit has been changed to the MM modified circuit, the PT has been replaced with a Hammond 270DX, the OT has been replaced with a Heyboer HTS 8215, and a custom 3 henry choke from Heyboer has been installed.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/teleamp/ResizedHTS8215.jpg

The amp sounds similar to the MM clips, the clean tones are spectacular with lots of bottom. The overdriven tones are OK (IMHO).

I think I prefer the 5F1 circuit with a 6V6 (much better distorion IMHO). I have bought the MM mod kit, but will use it to do a DIY build instead of installing in a VJ.

MikeY

Originally posted by teleamp:

Myles, I've been playing with circuit variations and OT's. Can you give me an answer to why my VJ combo when wired as a GA-5 and using the Mojo 771 OT does not have the bottom end of the GA-5? Can the difference in cabinet construction (particle board/MDF vs. plywood) and speaker baffle density and mounting be having that much bearing on speaker response.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/teleamp/Resizedcircuit.jpg

That photo does not show the latest changes: The circuit has been changed to the MM modified circuit, the PT has been replaced with a Hammond 270DX, the OT has been replaced with a Heyboer HTS 8215, and a custom 3 henry choke from Heyboer has been installed.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/teleamp/ResizedHTS8215.jpg

The amp sounds similar to the MM clips, the clean tones are spectacular with lots of bottom. The overdriven tones are OK (IMHO).

I think I prefer the 5F1 circuit with a 6V6 (much better distorion IMHO). I have bought the MM mod kit, but will use it to do a DIY build instead of installing in a VJ.

MikeY

I have no idea why some folks build the way they do ... I do not work for either of them.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr