Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

myles_rose

Say, Myles, what do you think of the higher-watt output E34LS GT for use in the Fuchs 'Lucky 7'? Any reason that I wouldn't want to run that tube in that amp?

How about something similar to the 6CA7's that EVH used early on? Any suggestions?

Finally- in the GT rating-# system, what would be better for getting as wide a range of clean-to-mean-to-scream tones for dynamically-responsive/touch-sensitive/guitar-volume-knob "play the amp" fingerstyle playing? A #7 or #8, a #3 or #4... ??

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Hi, I have another question about master volumes. Do they behave like a traditional volume control (pre-master era), or do they act more like an attentuator that reduces output? Thanks

Depends on the amp as there are pre and post phase inverter masters but none of them act as an attenuator or load on the output section.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

i have a british made ac30 and i can get power but it will not go from standby to on and therefore, no sound. any ideas?

swb226

If things light up but there is no sound it is usually a blown GZ34/5AR4 rectifier.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Say, Myles, what do you think of the higher-watt output E34LS GT for use in the Fuchs 'Lucky 7'? Any reason that I wouldn't want to run that tube in that amp?

How about something similar to the 6CA7's that EVH used early on? Any suggestions?

Finally- in the GT rating-# system, what would be better for getting as wide a range of clean-to-mean-to-scream tones for dynamically-responsive/touch-sensitive/guitar-volume-knob "play the amp" fingerstyle playing? A #7 or #8, a #3 or #4... ??

Stick with a 5,6 rating ... that is a proper spec tube.

In the Fuchs I would not use the LS as it is a harsh sounding hard rockish edgy tube. I would find a classic Siemens, Tesla, or creamy NOS tube of this sort from Mike at www.kacnostubes.com

Heck ... it is only ONE tube ... might as well use a great one rather than a current production tube.

Then again ... that is just my own two cents worth and personal taste and I love Andy's amp of your type and have worked a lot with these for clients.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I should have asked you the other if you had any suggestions on a combo amp in the $400-$500 price range. I known you talk about the Line 6 on your website as being versatile. I'm mainly just looking for something I can do an occasional gig with without having to lug around tons of equipment. I tried a Carvin SX300, but it wasn't for me. Do you have any opinions on the Vox Valvetronics series. I know this is mainly a tube amp site, but if anyone would know, you would. We do mainly classic rock type stuff.

Thanks again

There are a lot of really nice things in your price range. It really boils down to personal preference and taste in tone and feature set.

I will say that the offerings from Vox are really great. Lots of bang for the $$$, versitile, and they have a proven track record of reliability which compares favorably to amps using their type of construction in the price range.

Fender and Marshall also have great offerings in this range.

All these amps are easier to move around as a solid state output section has no heavy output transformer and there are no output tubes to replace and bias. They are lighter in weight by quite a bit.

Hit someplace like Guitar Center where they generally have lots of these types of amps from most of the main makers all in the same place at the same time and check them out and compare. In the end it is your call.

Well I got lucky. I went to my local GC, like you said, and found a $499 amp on sale for $299. I got a discount on top of that so I got a Crate VTX Series VTX200S 2 x 100W 2x12, out the door for $292. Not bad and it sounds great.

Les Paul Studio Deluxe, '74 Guild S100, '64 Strat, JCM 900 Combo, Peavey Classic 30 1x12, Peavey Classic 30 Head, CBG

I should have asked you the other if you had any suggestions on a combo amp in the $400-$500 price range. I known you talk about the Line 6 on your website as being versatile. I'm mainly just looking for something I can do an occasional gig with without having to lug around tons of equipment. I tried a Carvin SX300, but it wasn't for me. Do you have any opinions on the Vox Valvetronics series. I know this is mainly a tube amp site, but if anyone would know, you would. We do mainly classic rock type stuff.

Thanks again

There are a lot of really nice things in your price range. It really boils down to personal preference and taste in tone and feature set.

I will say that the offerings from Vox are really great. Lots of bang for the $$$, versitile, and they have a proven track record of reliability which compares favorably to amps using their type of construction in the price range.

Fender and Marshall also have great offerings in this range.

All these amps are easier to move around as a solid state output section has no heavy output transformer and there are no output tubes to replace and bias. They are lighter in weight by quite a bit.

Hit someplace like Guitar Center where they generally have lots of these types of amps from most of the main makers all in the same place at the same time and check them out and compare. In the end it is your call.

Well I got lucky. I went to my local GC, like you said, and found a $499 amp on sale for $299. I got a discount on top of that so I got a Crate VTX Series VTX200S 2 x 100W 2x12, out the door for $292. Not bad and it sounds great.

Good going ... and happy playing!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles, Thanks for doing this forum. Just reading other people's questions have helped me learn things.

Here's my question:

There is an annoying microphonic rattle on one of the pre amp tubes on my Fender Blues Deville Reissue (4x10). The problem tube already has a foam tube stabilizer on it. I was wondering if there is a quick and easy (and cheap fix), but if not, how should I get rid of the rattle.

Thanks again

Slide off the foam block, pull the microphonic tube, toss it in the trash and replace with a new 12AX7.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles. I've spent a pleasant couple of days reading back through this thread and learned a lot.

A few years back you were talking to a fellow who had a Badcat amp and you closed by saying "If your amp is too loud, there are ways to tame that too".

I have a Matchless DC30 and while it has acres of great tone, even on the 15 watt setting it's super-loud, even in a reasonably-sized venue. I prefer not to use the master volume as I want to get power amp rather than pre-amp distortion - it's the age-old thorny question of getting the amp "singing" at a reasonable level. It has fairly new JJ EL84s.

Many thanks in advance.

iang

Hi Myles. I've spent a pleasant couple of days reading back through this thread and learned a lot.

A few years back you were talking to a fellow who had a Badcat amp and you closed by saying "If your amp is too loud, there are ways to tame that too".

I have a Matchless DC30 and while it has acres of great tone, even on the 15 watt setting it's super-loud, even in a reasonably-sized venue. I prefer not to use the master volume as I want to get power amp rather than pre-amp distortion - it's the age-old thorny question of getting the amp "singing" at a reasonable level. It has fairly new JJ EL84s.

Many thanks in advance.

iang

Here you go .... http://www.drzamps.com/airbrake.html

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

A short while ago I asked you about a sticky pot on my Melody Maker reissue. I took your suggestion and sprayed it with Deox It, but no luck. I guess I have a bad pot in spite of its age. My problem is that I don't have a receipt for the guitar because it was a gift and Gibson requires a receipt for service. I was just going to get a short shaft Gibson pot from MS and put it in myself. Is there anything special I should know before I repair it?

Thank You

Anthony

Hi Myles,

A short while ago I asked you about a sticky pot on my Melody Maker reissue. I took your suggestion and sprayed it with Deox It, but no luck. I guess I have a bad pot in spite of its age. My problem is that I don't have a receipt for the guitar because it was a gift and Gibson requires a receipt for service. I was just going to get a short shaft Gibson pot from MS and put it in myself. Is there anything special I should know before I repair it?

Thank You

Anthony

Anthony,

This is a very easy and fast fix ... just a replacement pot. Any tech can do it in a few minutes and if you can solder it is a piece of cake to do it yourself. If you were not on the othr side of the country I would do it for you for nothing and even give you the pot for free :)

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Thanks for the quick response and sincere offer. I'm going to buy the Gibson pot and put it in.

Anthony

You are quite welcome.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I have a basic question regarding my pro junior.

recently it's becoming noisy, and the sound cuts out sometimes, or when it doesn't varies in volume and noise. My instinct says that it's time to change the tubes but all 4 fire up as normal or at least visually. This is my first tube amp, and have so far never changed the tubes, so just want to allay my fears that it's not something else.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi Myles,

recently it's becoming noisy, and the sound cuts out sometimes, or when it doesn't varies in volume and noise. My instinct says that it's time to change the tubes but all 4 fire up as normal or at least visually. This is my first tube amp, and have so far never changed the tubes, so just want to allay my fears that it's not something else.

Thanks,

Eric

Visual means nothing .... the engine in your car may look fine bit if the spark plugs are removed the engine does not work.

Change the two EL84 output tubes for a start.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

Thanks,

Eric

Visual means nothing .... the engine in your car may look fine bit if the spark plugs are removed the engine does not work.

Thanks for the advice Myles.

I actually ended up changing all four tubes (two x GT-12AX7-R2 & 1 x GT-EL84R Duet) which I bought online and which got delivered today. Now my Pro Junior sounds so sweet.... the notes just sort of jump out at me... plus I enjoyed the process of changing the tubes, although I had a bit of trouble with the spring clamp.

Thanks again!

Hi Myles,

Thanks,

Eric

Thanks for the advice Myles.

I actually ended up changing all four tubes (two x GT-12AX7-R2 & 1 x GT-EL84R Duet) which I bought online and which got delivered today. Now my Pro Junior sounds so sweet.... the notes just sort of jump out at me... plus I enjoyed the process of changing the tubes, although I had a bit of trouble with the spring clamp.

Thanks again!

You are welcome and happy playing

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

I have a question about my Fender Vibrolux Reverb. I just had it gone over by a good amp tech I have used in the past. It sounds great but the reverb and vibrato sound noisy. This is about a 1974 vintage amp. The reverb is sort of noisy and if its turned all the way up sort of makes a feedback sound. When the vibrato is turned on it makes a slight vibrato noise even when I am not playing. The reverb/vibrato channel is now the blackface circut and the normal channel is the tweed circut. Both channels sound great and are dead quite except for the reverb/vibrato channel. It is only noisy when the reverb or vibrato are turned on. Is this normal? I usually use Marshall amps so I have little experience with Fender amps. I got the amp used so I have little experience with this amp.

I have a question about my Fender Vibrolux Reverb. I just had it gone over by a good amp tech I have used in the past. It sounds great but the reverb and vibrato sound noisy. This is about a 1974 vintage amp. The reverb is sort of noisy and if its turned all the way up sort of makes a feedback sound. When the vibrato is turned on it makes a slight vibrato noise even when I am not playing. The reverb/vibrato channel is now the blackface circut and the normal channel is the tweed circut. Both channels sound great and are dead quite except for the reverb/vibrato channel. It is only noisy when the reverb or vibrato are turned on. Is this normal? I usually use Marshall amps so I have little experience with Fender amps. I got the amp used so I have little experience with this amp.

Your vibrato issue is common. That is why it is foot swichable to a true off position. Left on it will also impact gain of this channel.

On the reverb ... it sounds like V3 (12AT7) or V4 (12AX7) is microphonic. Swap one of these at a time out with one of the other tubes in the amp. V1 is good to swap with V4 and V6 is also a 12AT7 (it is the phase inverter) and the same tube type as V3.

See if this fixes things. If so, buy a new tube for the offending position.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Miles!

On my Peavey Classic 30... I've got some noises coming from my amp. Low rumbling. The noises stop when I push the tubes deeper into the tube sockets with my fingers. This was pretty bad two years ago so I sent the chassis back to Peavey and they resoldered some joints for me. The noise was lessened, but never really went away. Now the noise is back to the point where my sound guy is complaining that he has to mute my channel when someone is speaking through the PA while my amp is on.

I've increased the pressure of tension of the tube retainer clasps (is that what they are called?). That helped a little.

Do I need to replace my tube sockets? How do I get rid of this problem?

Mikegug

www.facebook.com/theresistancemusic

Hey Miles!

On my Peavey Classic 30... I've got some noises coming from my amp. Low rumbling. The noises stop when I push the tubes deeper into the tube sockets with my fingers. This was pretty bad two years ago so I sent the chassis back to Peavey and they resoldered some joints for me. The noise was lessened, but never really went away. Now the noise is back to the point where my sound guy is complaining that he has to mute my channel when someone is speaking through the PA while my amp is on.

I've increased the pressure of tension of the tube retainer clasps (is that what they are called?). That helped a little.

Do I need to replace my tube sockets? How do I get rid of this problem?

Mike,

These are fun amps but you need to remember they are a very high production mass produced amp and use some of the least expensive components and construction methods available.

Having these kinds of problems is expected and the nature of the amp. You may want to have the sockets replaced with high quality sockets such as Belton or ceramic units and make sure all the screws are tightened as there are a lot of self tapping sheet metal screws in these amps with no nuts let alone lock washers or locking nuts on machine screws.

In the end you don't want to put too much money into these. If you love the tone it might be cheaper to hit Guitar Center and just buy a new one every two or three years if you are active where the amp moves from gig to gig once a week or more.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I am new to the forum but have been reading your posts for a while and find them very interesting and helpful.

I have a question regarding a matched phase inverter valve. My amp is a 65 Twin Reverb re-issue project. It has a Hoffman AB763 board kit, Mercury Magnetics transformers, Torres Engineering beefed up mod kit and Tone Tubby speakers etc.

I am about to replace 6L6's with Tung-Sol 5881 (#5) valves.

What matched phase inverter valve would you recommend for this amp?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Powerage

Hi Myles,

I am new to the forum but have been reading your posts for a while and find them very interesting and helpful.

I have a question regarding a matched phase inverter valve. My amp is a 65 Twin Reverb re-issue project. It has a Hoffman AB763 board kit, Mercury Magnetics transformers, Torres Engineering beefed up mod kit and Tone Tubby speakers etc.

I am about to replace 6L6's with Tung-Sol 5881 (#5) valves.

What matched phase inverter valve would you recommend for this amp?

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Powerage

Use an NOS 12AT7 / USA one from www.kcanostubes.com

He can supply balanced ones.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hi Myles,

I just purchased a new Fender '64 Vibroverb Custom. I love the tone of it. Right when I got it 2 of the 12AX7's were microphonic and made the amp squeal and feedback like crazy. I went down to Guitar Center and replaced them with GT Gold tubes. The amp is still hissing when it gets really warm and popping when the volume gets louder.

Would it be a good idea to replace all the stock tubes (Fender GT) with NOS? I think the output tubes are pretty good ones, right? Any suggestions on tube replacements?

I am looking for blues and rock tones in the SRV territory.

Thank you so much for your help.

PS: Any chance to get a ride in your T-38, she's a real beauty!

Hi Myles,

I just purchased a new Fender '64 Vibroverb Custom. I love the tone of it. Right when I got it 2 of the 12AX7's were microphonic and made the amp squeal and feedback like crazy. I went down to Guitar Center and replaced them with GT Gold tubes. The amp is still hissing when it gets really warm and popping when the volume gets louder.

Would it be a good idea to replace all the stock tubes (Fender GT) with NOS? I think the output tubes are pretty good ones, right? Any suggestions on tube replacements?

I am looking for blues and rock tones in the SRV territory.

Thank you so much for your help.

PS: Any chance to get a ride in your T-38, she's a real beauty!

Check the tubes one at a time to find the offending 12AX7 or 12AT7. If it is a normal channel only issue it is probably V1. If it is a vibrato channel issue it is probably v2 or v5.

That T38 is long gone now but if you know somebody that would want to buy it I may be able to get in contact with the last person that had it up for sale.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr