Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Feel free to ask Myles

Originally posted by Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy:

Originally posted by myles111:

quote:

Originally posted by mherrcat:

[qb]I have a Mesa/Boogie MKIIb with an 8 Ohm EV12L speaker. Mesa recommends using the 4 Ohm speaker jack when in the 60 watt power mode.

If I were to use a THD Hot Plate, would I need to get the 8 Ohm model and still plug it into the 4 Ohm speaker jack?

Oh Myles, why is it necessary to always have a load connected to a tube amp, when it's perfectly safe to powerup a transistor amp with no load?

Also, if memory serves, tubes need a transformer on the output for impedence matching, where transistor amp have no need of this. Why is that?

They didn't teach us tubes in school.
Tube do need a load, i.e., transformer in most cases.

Transistors can be direct coupled to capacitor coupled.

This is all covered in detail in my Tube Primer section II.
Hey Myles, do you like the Monteleone pics? I think this one is a "Radio Flyer", going for a paultry 15 grand. If this was 1999 all over again, I'd actually consider it!

It's gorgeous. Actually $15,000 for something of this caliber is not at all out of line.

Myles S. Rose

www.guitaramplifierblueprinting.com

www.la-economy.blogspot.com

www.facebook.com/mylesr

www.twitter.com/myles111us

I have a Mesa/Boogie MKIIb with an 8 Ohm EV12L speaker. Mesa recommends using the 4 Ohm speaker jack when in the 60 watt power mode.

If I were to use a THD Hot Plate, would I need to get the 8 Ohm model and still plug it into the 4 Ohm speaker jack?

Also, when using Yellow Jackets in the outside tube positions (for 60 watt mode) do I want to avoid switching to the 100 watt mode?

mherrcat...........

In the half power mode (60 watt) you do use the 4 ohm tap as there are half the output tubes on line.

With a hot plate, use an 8 ohm hotplate in the 8 ohm jack in 100 watt mode.

Using Yellow Jackets, you do want to use these in the 100 watt mode if all four tubes (two of the Mesa tubes and two yellow jackets) are used.

OK. So, if I understand this correctly, I can use two Yellow Jackets in the outside tube sockets and leave two 6L6's in the inside tube sockets and run the amp in the 60 watt mode which will only use the Yellow Jackets OR in the 100 watt mode which will use the Yellow Jackets AND the 6L6's. If this is the case, I suppose I would still want the speaker connected to the 4 Ohm jack for the 60 watt mode and the 8 Ohm jack for the 100 watt mode?

Thanks for the help!

I have a Mesa/Boogie MKIIb with an 8 Ohm EV12L speaker. Mesa recommends using the 4 Ohm speaker jack when in the 60 watt power mode.

Also, when using Yellow Jackets in the outside tube positions (for 60 watt mode) do I want to avoid switching to the 100 watt mode?

mherrcat...........

In the half power mode (60 watt) you do use the 4 ohm tap as there are half the output tubes on line.

Using Yellow Jackets, you do want to use these in the 100 watt mode if all four tubes (two of the Mesa tubes and two yellow jackets) are used.

OK. So, if I understand this correctly, I can use two Yellow Jackets in the outside tube sockets and leave two 6L6's in the inside tube sockets and run the amp in the 60 watt mode which will only use the Yellow Jackets OR in the 100 watt mode which will use the Yellow Jackets AND the 6L6's. If this is the case, I suppose I would still want the speaker connected to the 4 Ohm jack for the 60 watt mode and the 8 Ohm jack for the 100 watt mode?

Thanks for the help!

Yes ....

and since you seem to be in L.A. from your profile, you may want to come to one of my free amp clinics when I have them, bring your amp, and I can give you a few ideas in person.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by lg64strat:

Hey Myles,

What do you think of Carvin amps, particularly the Belair and Nomad? I noticed that Eurotubes has them listed as one of his favorites now...

Thanks,

lg64strat...

lg64strat.........

These amps are a blast, cost effective, and really hold up nicely. Just put in some ECC83s in V1 and V2 and stand back .... also I like EL84S in a #6 rating for the output tubes.

They are easy to carry and move around too.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

quote:

mherrcat...........

Thanks for the help!
Yes ....

and since you seem to be in L.A. from your profile, you may want to come to one of my free amp clinics when I have them, bring your amp, and I can give you a few ideas in person.

I've been checking your website daily for the next clinic. :)

Actually, the Mesa/Boogie is currently at my brother's house in Houston. The questions were for his benefit as he was interested in trying to get some different tonality at a lower volume level. I also had him take a look at the Weber MASS and the THD Hotplate.

[qb]Hey Myles,

What do you think of Carvin amps, particularly the Belair and Nomad? I noticed that Eurotubes has them listed as one of his favorites now...

Myles, have you gotten a chance to tinker with a Fuchs? From what I've heard, they are really nice amps, with a Dumble and Boogie kind of sound.
Have you recorded an MP3 today?

Thanks for the prompt reply on the Carvin question... I may look into one of these for the reasons you mentioned...

best regards,

lg64strat...

lg64strat.........

You are more than welcome

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

[qb]Hey Myles,

Myles, have you gotten a chance to tinker with a Fuchs? From what I've heard, they are really nice amps, with a Dumble and Boogie kind of sound.
Mr Nice Jazz Guitar Guy..........

I love the amps from Andy Fuchs. I think they give a lot of that Dumble quality, and I prefer them over some of the other "Dumble copies" as they are very price effective and very nicely built. They are much more versitile than a Mesa type front end also, and more articulate to my personal style.

I think the Fuchs stuff will go up in price pretty soon, maybe in 2004, as they are still somewhat underpriced for the level of quality and components used. At this point they are still something of a nice bargain.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

[qb]Hey Myles,

I love the amps from Andy Fuchs. I think they give a lot of that Dumble quality, and I prefer them over some of the other "Dumble copies" as they are very price effective and very nicely built. They are much more versitile than a Mesa type front end also, and more articulate to my personal style.

I think the Fuchs stuff will go up in price pretty soon, maybe in 2004, as they are still somewhat underpriced for the level of quality and components used. At this point they are still something of a nice bargain.

Myles, it looks like Andy's list of authorized dealers has quadrupled over the last year. Most impressive. I guess the word got out.

I'd love to see him make a rackmount tube preamp, an "affordable" one at that.

He still modifies existing amps too at affordable prices. Nice to know.

[qb]Hey Myles,

Myles, what might you think of the "holy grail" Boogie Mark IIC+? I have one but prefer my Mark IV, vastly.

Hey Miles,

Maybe you can help me. I was just wondering if you could help with some background about an amp. My dad has an old Guild Amp which I assume is from the 60s. It seems to be similar to a fender deluxe. The model appears to start with 66-...but it is barely readible after the hyphen. It has 4 inputs 2 labeled guitar and 2 labeled microphone. It has a 2 volume pots for each channel with a shared high and bass eq. Also, there's tremolo with two controls (speed and intensity) with a 1/4" footswitch jack. I can post some pics once I scan them if that would help. If you need any more info please feel free to ask. Thanks for any help.

Matt

"I think he said blessed are the cheesemakers"

Life of Brian

quote:

[qb]Hey Myles,

Myles, what might you think of the "holy grail" Boogie Mark IIC+? I have one but prefer my Mark IV, vastly.

My point of view, the IIB and C were the best of the Mark series. Then the Mk 1 and the III. The IV is too complex for my tastes and the clean is too hi-fi.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by please-drive-faster:

Hey Miles,

Maybe you can help me. I was just wondering if you could help with some background about an amp. My dad has an old Guild Amp which I assume is from the 60s. It seems to be similar to a fender deluxe. The model appears to start with 66-...but it is barely readible after the hyphen. It has 4 inputs 2 labeled guitar and 2 labeled microphone. It has a 2 volume pots for each channel with a shared high and bass eq. Also, there's tremolo with two controls (speed and intensity) with a 1/4" footswitch jack. I can post some pics once I scan them if that would help. If you need any more info please feel free to ask. Thanks for any help.

Matt ....

send me a picture over to GT.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

My point of view, the IIB and C were the best of the Mark series. Then the Mk 1 and the III. The IV is too complex for my tastes and the clean is too hi-fi.

Interesting Myles.

I have a problem with the older Boogie's controls, or lack thereof. Striking the balance between the clean and distortion settings was always a compromise. Newer Boogies have independant controls for each channel, which I vastly prefer.

The Mark IV is a 3 channel amp which is going to be more complex. I wish they hadn't shared tone controls, I'd prefer independant ones for each channel. All in all though, the Mark IV sounds much less nasal to me at lower volumes and doesn't have the gain balancing problems of the older Boogies. Being a jazz player I appreciate its clean channel for archtop use too.

One thing I'm sure you are aware of, the Mark IV has much more of it's innards mounted on PC boards.

Sure doesn't look like the point to point Boogies of old.

Interesting Myles.

I have a problem with the older Boogie's controls, or lack thereof. Striking the balance between the clean and distortion settings was always a compromise. Newer Boogies have independant controls for each channel, which I vastly prefer.

The Mark IV is a 3 channel amp which is going to be more complex. I wish they hadn't shared tone controls, I'd prefer independant ones for each channel. All in all though, the Mark IV sounds much less nasal to me at lower volumes and doesn't have the gain balancing problems of the older Boogies. Being a jazz player I appreciate its clean channel for archtop use too.

One thing I'm sure you are aware of, the Mark IV has much more of it's innards mounted on PC boards.

Sure doesn't look like the point to point Boogies of old.

I prefer the Mk 1 personally, the tone controls work well enough for basic use, and this is how the amp was intended to work I guess.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Hey Myles, just wondering if you could advise me on a rectifier swap for my Korg AC30tbx. I've been told that you can safely put a 5V4 in there for a little lower plate voltage and a little more sag. It will "brown" the sound a little but leave plenty of chime.

How much of a headroom reduction would this give, if any? I'm struggling not to buy an attenuator, as I had a dislike for the effects of a Hotplate on my Hot Rod Deville.

Is it worthwhile changing the rectifier in the hope of reducing headroom? Or should I try a Dr.Z Airbrake? I've been told it yields better results than the Hotplate? Thanks for your time Myles.

Tea.

Myles,

I remember reading in one of my Guitar mags some time back about a tube that could be used to lower your amps output to 1 watt. I have a pro jr. and would be interested in getting a set of these if they do exist. Do you have any information about these?

Thanks in advance,

Zig

Originally posted by Ziggy:

Myles,

I remember reading in one of my Guitar mags some time back about a tube that could be used to lower your amps output to 1 watt. I have a pro jr. and would be interested in getting a set of these if they do exist. Do you have any information about these?

Thanks in advance,

Zig

Smicz TADs.

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Myles, could you comment on the new GT Spacestations? They have a 300 degree field? what is the application?

zeronyne........

The thing is a blast. I want to get one of the full range ones and hook it to a little CD player. They do have over 300 degree dispersion and two internal amps.

There is some info from NAMM at:

http://www.groovetubes.com/NAMM2004_01.cfm

With a Line 6 POD they are a blast, and will fill a wedding reception smaller room with ease ... talk about a simple rig!

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

That's pretty cool Myles, how much does it weigh?. I need something like that to demo our new GNX4 floor pedal. The GNX4,a lap top and the spacestation and you've got a pretty dang cool traveling workstation.

Thanks

Doug Marhoffer

Digitech

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

That's pretty cool Myles, how much does it weigh?. I need something like that to demo our new GNX4 floor pedal. The GNX4,a lap top and the spacestation and you've got a pretty dang cool traveling workstation.

Thanks

Doug Marhoffer

Digitech

overheard street personality on Venice Beach "Man, that Bullshit is Bulllshhittt...."

Originally posted by Teahead:

Hey Myles, just wondering if you could advise me on a rectifier swap for my Korg AC30tbx. I've been told that you can safely put a 5V4 in there for a little lower plate voltage and a little more sag. It will "brown" the sound a little but leave plenty of chime.

How much of a headroom reduction would this give, if any? I'm struggling not to buy an attenuator, as I had a dislike for the effects of a Hotplate on my Hot Rod Deville.

Is it worthwhile changing the rectifier in the hope of reducing headroom? Or should I try a Dr.Z Airbrake? I've been told it yields better results than the Hotplate? Thanks for your time Myles.

Tea.

Teahead........

The 5V4 is superb in a Vox AC-30. The tube life will also be greatly extended, and to me, there is very little loss in clean headroom. The sag characteristics are also much nicer with a great bloom when you slide up the neck after only one hit to the strings.

Try this even before an attenuator, it's darn cool.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by aeon:

Myles:

check your PMs! :D

thanks! :wave:

aeon

I checked and responded to all five of them from different folks.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Originally posted by dougsthang':

Thanks

Doug Marhoffer

Digitech

Doug,

I am not sure, maybe ten or so pounds.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr

Myles, I am looking for a good-sounding power attenuator that will be useful for gigs as well as practice and recording. I currently play through a 5150 half-stack (120 watts), but will also use it with other amps (and am therefore wary of the Hot Plate - I don't want to have to buy a different attenuator for different impedance amps).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean

Originally posted by shood:

Myles, I am looking for a good-sounding power attenuator that will be useful for gigs as well as practice and recording. I currently play through a 5150 half-stack (120 watts), but will also use it with other amps (and am therefore wary of the Hot Plate - I don't want to have to buy a different attenuator for different impedance amps).

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Sean

The Dr. Z Airbrake is the killer unit and the unit Tom Dunn uses on his 5152's.

http://www.drzamps.com/airbrake.html

One works for all 4-16 ohm amps, no muss, no fuss, easy to use, lots of settings.

Myles S. Rose

www.facebook.com/mylesr