Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yngwie Booed in Brazil

I think what's actually happening here (I mean at the Yngwie show in Brazil) is a fundamental mistake that would be easy to make. Have you ever heard that expression "context is everything"? What I mean is, if your band plays for a crowd of blue-collar workers at a nightclub in Hoboken, New Jersey (picked a familiar, but random city) then it's a safe bet that they would "get" and identify with a rendition of our national anthem in these difficult and scary times. They would be heart-warmed and appreciative. (Incidentally, I did this on my strat a week ago at a benefit for the Red Cross in Portland, Oregon. Home Run.) But when you and band are in a foreign nation to ostensibly entertain them, it becomes imperative that you look out at them and assess what is going to "connect". Good will and humility are the ambassador's indispensible first-grab tools. And people everywhere respond to that. Isn't it worth a try, rather than trying to shove our icons down their throats? Well, in their ears, actually, but you get my point. Anyway, there's my two cents worth, and I kind of hope that folks are willing to consider it. Thanks for posting the letter from Derek Sherinian, I found that interesting to be able to learn from his experiences.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived