Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I GOT SOME LAST NIGHT!!

Yep. Filled my tank! It's up to $1.64/gallon for regular around here and the price continues to rise. I hear that it's much worse in places like Chicago. Oh well... It's Valentine's Day - maybe you'll get lucky and get some tonight, too! :D
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
$1.85 in L.A. San Francisco is the nation's highest at about $1.93 for regular 87 octane unleaded. My news source says it has more to do with the Venezulean situation than Iraq. Whatever. In any case, they don't expect any price decreases for a couple of months at least. If you get some tonight, fill it up...you never know when you might get some again! ;) - Jeff

The average cost of gas per gallon in my part of Jersey is around $1.45 (unleaded). Of course, the real obstacle to being a driver in Jersey isn't so much the gas, but the ridiculously high insurance rates for drivers here, even good ones. We seem to lack the competition between insurance companies here, and a good deal of the major players (like State Farm) have left the state, thanks to the rigid state regulations imposed upon car insurance companies. I'm hopefully getting my license in a few weeks, and I wonder how much that'll eat up my meager income... :eek:

Careful what you carry, 'cause the Man is wise - You are still an outlaw in their eyes... :thu:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

[quote]Originally posted by eljefe: [b]SUPPORT HYDROGEN CELL TECHNOLOGY!!! Getting some will become cheaper! With no messy spillage! (And we won't have to keep panty-raiding the Middle East all the damn time.) [/b][/quote]WRONG. It takes 4-5 times as much energy to produce the hydrogen cell equivalent of a gallon of gasoline, than it takes to produce the gasoline. And that energy has to come from somewhere. Don't believe the hydrogen cell hype, it's just another ploy by the oil companies.

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]Don't believe the hydrogen cell hype, it's just another ploy by the oil companies.[/b][/quote]Let's just all go back to walking, or riding bikes, or foot-pedaling our cars like Fred Flintstone did. I mean, where do we all really need to go in such a hurry? The thing which will solve all of this shit -- looking at this from a big-picture perspective -- is the true virtual office environment. Have generic offices set up, all within a few miles of people's homes. You go in (via your feet or bike or whatever), get on super-high bandwidth broadband systems with video, voice and data conferencing. No, you don't get to work with actual people, but you also eliminate 75% of the reason to drive at all. How's that? Am I a visionary or what? :) - Jeff

Supposedly the Bay Area is the most expensive place in the country for average gas prices. One of the cheapest stations in San Jose is near my house, I paid $1.69 two days ago. The average for the Bay Area is probably at least 10 cents higher. My friend said she paid $2.01 in Belmont yesterday. For regular! Clearly we will be going to war soon. I suspect we'll see $2.50 before it's all said and done. --Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Hydrogen cell technology is also years away from being perfected. And to implement it, it would require entirely new infrastructures, including retrained mechanics, different gas stations, entirely new parts manufacturing, etc. Hydrogen cars was the only energy-saving thing mentioned by Bush in his State of the Union address. It's a red herring to distract people away Bush's short-sighted (and self-interested) energy policies. There are about a zillion other ways to save energy using existing technologies. For example, the government could offer substatiantial tax rebates to individuals who drive fuel efficient cars (such as hybrids). Or the government could subsidize solar energy (it currently subsidizes oil to the tune of billions of dollars. Why do you think gas prices are lower here than in Europe?). Or the government could improve public transportation. Public transportation in the US is absolutely dismal. People drive because they love the individual control that it offers. That's fine, and shouldn't change. But in most parts of the country, driving is the ONLY way to get from point A to B. If we have more choices (the way we do in New York city), then fewer people will drive for every need. My $.08

[quote]Originally posted by Mats_Olsson: [b]In Europe the gas is more than twice as expensive than you guys have to pay :( /Mats[/b][/quote]This is true. However, it's important to remember that we are far more dependent on gasoline for our day to day lives than many Europeans. First of all we tend to drive greater distances. California alone is larger than any nation in Europe, with the possible exception of the re-unified Germany (not sure). Secondly, with the exception of our Eastern Seaboard, most of our cities have really lousy public transportation. Our entire infrastructure was built around the idea that people drive cars to do their daily travelling. I'm not saying this is a good thing, it's just the way it is. Now I'm no expert on Europe, hell I've never been anywhere except London. But my impression is that its not nearly so car-dependent. Certainly London isn't. --Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

[quote]Originally posted by Dave Pierce: [b] [quote] Originally posted by Mats_Olsson: [b]In Europe the gas is more than twice as expensive than you guys have to pay :( /Mats[/b][/quote]This is true. However, it's important to remember that we are far more dependent on gasoline for our day to day lives than many Europeans. First of all we tend to drive greater distances. California alone is larger than any nation in Europe, with the possible exception of the re-unified Germany (not sure). Secondly, with the exception of our Eastern Seaboard, most of our cities have really lousy public transportation. Our entire infrastructure was built around the idea that people drive cars to do their daily travelling. I'm not saying this is a good thing, it's just the way it is. Now I'm no expert on Europe, hell I've never been anywhere except London. But my impression is that its not nearly so car-dependent. Certainly London isn't. --Dave[/b][/quote]Regarding the size etc. of some European countries (and expense levels in my land): [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sw.html]Sweden[/url] : area 449,964 sq km = slightly larger than California. Population: only 9 million here. In the upper half of Sweden most folks travel [i]very[/i] long distances often and public transportation is not really that useful (all cities, with few or no exceptions, have good public transportation though). Prices compared to USA: Gas is double, cars are often more expensive (used cars are way more expensive than in USA), on average people earn less money and pay more taxes (but we still get a lot of good stuff for our taxes, even though it is not as good as it used to be). [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/gm.html]Germany[/url] : Area 357,021 sq km = slightly smaller than Montana, pop. 83.2 million. [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/fr.html]France[/url] : 547,030 sq km = slightly less than twice the size of Colorado, pop. close to 60 million. [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/sp.html]Spain[/url] : area 504,782 sq km = slightly more than twice the size of Oregon, pop. 40 million. [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/it.html]Italy[/url] : area 301,230 sq km = slightly larger than Arizona, pop. 57.8 million. [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/uk.html]UK[/url] : area 244,820 sq km = slightly smaller than Oregon, pop. 59.8 million. [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/fi.html]Finland[/url] : area 337,030 sq km = slightly smaller than Montana, pop. 5.2 million. [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/no.html]Norway[/url] : area 324,220 sq km = slightly larger than New Mexico, pop. 4.5 million. [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/pl.html]Poland[/url] : area 312,685 sq km = slightly smaller than New Mexico, pop. 38.6 million. [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ro.html]Romania[/url] : area 237,500 sq km = slightly smaller than Oregon, pop. 22.3 million. That's all I care for typing at the moment, those are by size the largest countries in Europe (not counting the European parts of Russia and Ukraine). Source: [url=http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html]The World Factbook[/url] /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]WRONG. It takes 4-5 times as much energy to produce the hydrogen cell equivalent of a gallon of gasoline, than it takes to produce the gasoline. And that energy has to come from somewhere. Don't believe the hydrogen cell hype, it's just another ploy by the oil companies.[/b][/quote]I'm with Wewus.... show me a link! I got into the idea of the hydrogen cell before Bush gave his speech - I had seen it tossed around in newspapers and talk shows - since it seemed to eliminate the need for oil altogether. If it's a ploy by the oil companies, I'm not sure how... because it would make them irrelevant, as far as I understand it. Sure, you need energy to produce hydrogen, but who says you need OIL energy? If I'm wrong, please explain!

Last time I looked, Hawaii was still part of the country and.... I pay 1.98 for supreme at Costco but... All the other places have prices posted as 2.15 for regular and up to 2.50 for supreme. :eek: They say it's higher here because they have to ship the crude from US Mainland, but we have local refineries and they are all in cahoots :mad: If I didn't have to drive 25 miles each way to work, I'd probably ride a bike. Maybe I should get a motorcycle, :idea: Yeah.... My wife would kill me :cry:
I'm trying to think but nuthin' happens....

'Bout $1.90 a gallon in Carmel...luckily I only drive twice a week --maybe 15 miles...walk to gym, store, eatery,,,,only a few miles...last time I was in Europe, the gas was still under $5.oo a gal,,, C JO GO http://fp2k.redshift.com/cjogo/crystalrecording.htm

[quote]Originally posted by Mats_Olsson: [b]Sweden: area 449,964 sq km = slightly larger than California. Population: only 9 million here.[/b][/quote]California: About 411,000 sq km (3rd largest state behind Alaska and Texas). Over 35 million people here, with 40 million projected by 2010. Out of those 35 million folks, about 15 million of them live within 50 miles of me. - Jeff

[quote]Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Mats_Olsson: [b]Sweden: area 449,964 sq km = slightly larger than California. Population: only 9 million here.[/b][/quote]California: About 411,000 sq km (3rd largest state behind Alaska and Texas). Over 35 million people here, with 40 million projected by 2010. Out of those 35 million folks, about 15 million of them live within 50 miles of me. - Jeff[/b][/quote]Yer hatin' it. DX

Aerodyne Jazz Deluxe

Pod X3 Live

Roland Bolt-60 (modified)

Genz Benz GBE250-C 2x10

Acoustic 2x12 cab

[quote]Originally posted by eljefe: [b]I got into the idea of the hydrogen cell before Bush gave his speech - I had seen it tossed around in newspapers and talk shows -[/b][/quote]Yes, it's been "tossed around" a lot over the past 10-15 years, but lots of effort has been made in the mainstream media to carefully avoid the facts of how it works. This has always concerned me because I'm really into alternative energy and would like nothing more than to see our dependence on fossil fuels end - but this is not the way to do it. Hydrogen cells don't replace conventional energy sources, they only store energy from another source and don't pollute the air when they burn - like batteries. In other words, cars that run on hydrogen cells won't pollute the air where the cars are, which can relieve the pollution burden on urban areas - but it takes a LOT of energy to extract the hydrogen from the compounds in which it exists. And that energy currently must come from conventional sources - where else is it going to come from? [quote][b] since it seemed to eliminate the need for oil altogether. If it's a ploy by the oil companies, I'm not sure how... because it would make them irrelevant, as far as I understand it. Sure, you need energy to produce hydrogen, but who says you need OIL energy? [/b][/quote]You don't, but what would you prefer? Nuclear energy? Then why don't we just switch to that and be done with it? Think there's enough hydro power in the world to meet the demands of the entire world's supply of hydrogen cells? NOT. What is going to power those hydrogen cell factories? The MOST efficient source of hydrogen we have now is natural gas. That's where most of the hydrogen cells made today get their hydrogen. But any time you convert one form of energy to another, you lose a lot of the energy. So why not just burn the natural gas (as some vehicles already do)? Or the nukes? Or the oil? Hydrogen cells could be useful in some circumstances, but they will not do what the hype says they will do. They're just being used as a shell game to hide the true source of the energy that is stored in them.

currently hydrogen can be made from solar energy, but sofar the output is pretty low. hydrogen is many, many times more volitile than gasoline, but with proper containment it wont neccisarily mean a hiroshima everytime someone crashes a hydrogen fueled vehicle. tank maintainance will be a huge factor in the safety of hydrogen based vehicles.

[quote]Originally posted by Defective Coaster: [b]currently hydrogen can be made from solar energy, but sofar the output is pretty low. [/b][/quote]That's an understatement. It's much more efficient to store the output from solar panels in batteries than hydrogen cells. It's already a challenge to run a home on solar power or charge a car battery with solar panels - but it's feasible. To handle the additional load of producing, purifying and storing hydrogen would require many times more solar panels. The only technology that seems at all likely to make hydrogen efficient in the future is a type of algae which has been discovered to offgas relatively pure hydrogen. I dunno about the feasibility of converting large portions of the earth's surface to covered ponds with algae growing in them, though. :D

Archived