Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

best live record?

D. Gauss

so? what's yer vote?

right now i'd have to go with bb king's "live at the regal." might change tomorrow, but it's the real deal. no overdubs. amazing guitar, vibe, singing, etc. who's "live at leeds" is up there as well. stones "get yer ya ya's is a must, but alas there are some vocal overdubs on that one. james brown's "live at the apollo" is amazing as well. anybody else?

-d. gauss

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get yer ya ya's out is awesome.

My fave right now is a Lou Reed radio concert for WLIR around 1971 or so. He's interviewed in the middle of the show and it seems like its not too long after his first solo record came out.

Another favorite is a Blondie bootleg called Little Doll that just kicks. I don't think most people realize what a different and rocking band they were live. I mean in the middle of one the songs they break out into Satisfaction.

Emmylou Harris and the Nash Ramblers Live at the Ryman, Beat Farmers Loud and Plowed, Jackson Browne's live portion of Running on Empty, ZZTop at the Warehouse for the first part of Fandango, Mahoganey Rush Live, The Clancy Brothers Live....I could go on forever here.

I may the exception, but I've always thought Zepplin's live album sucked as have alot of the other dinos. Though I am a huge Zepplin fan....just callin a spade a spade.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Luther Allison - "Live in Chicago"

If you're a fan of the blues and don't own this album...hang your head in shame wherever you go until you do.

If you're one of those guys who thinks Stevie Ray is God's gift to blues guitar you should be forced to listen to this album over and over until your brain develops real taste ;)

(nothing against Stevie or any of the other new school guys, I dig Stevie's playing but Luther needs more respect along with a lot of other guys who are largely forgotten)

There are so many great live albums I can't even begin to name a best really.

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: Steve LeBlanc ]

I've always been fond of "The Last Waltz". What a staggering array of talent. First, it's The Band, one last time with feeling. Now add Clapton, and Dylan, and Joni, and Van, and Muddy, and Neil, and Dr. John. Plus a studio track with The Staples.

Oh, and while we're at it, let's have Martin Scorsese film the whole show.

I can still get into CSNY's "4-Way Street" double album. I

even like the 15 minute version of Southern Man. But Neil is awesome on the naked versions of "Don't let it bring you down" and "Cowgirl in the Sand".

Talkin' of Neil, the "live in the studio" album "Tonight's the night" is a masterpiece, if you are in the mood for the vibe of the album, dark and deep.

In two days, it won't matter.

Yeah I gotta chip in on 4-Way Street myself. Love the Steve Stills/Neil Young interplay. Evidently the critics trashed this one at the time but who cares?

FYI - the CD has 4 "bonus" tracks on the acoustic disc that didn't appear on the original LP including a Neil Young medley of The Loner/Cinnamon Girl/Down by the River.

bob

I'm not sure if this performance has been released on CD yet, but I saw a video of Stevie Ray's "Live at El Macabo" which totally sent shivers down my back. Another inspiring live album for me is Bob Marley's "Talkin' Blues". Peter and Bob tear it up on "Get up, Stand up."

The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East...great CD to jam with.

Within the last six months there has been a "new" Ten Years After Live At The Fillmore East double CD release. Recorded in 1970 this thing smokes! Also has great liner notes.

I never understood why Alvin Lee is not mentioned in the same breath with Clapton, Page, & Beck? Has he actually ever played with these other guys? I've never heard or seen anything where Alvin Lee justs sits in with another group.

Originally posted by take5:

The Allman Brothers Band At Fillmore East...great CD to jam with.

Within the last six months there has been a "new" Ten Years After Live At The Fillmore East double CD release. Recorded in 1970 this thing smokes! Also has great liner notes.

I never understood why Alvin Lee is not mentioned in the same breath with Clapton, Page, & Beck? Has he actually ever played with these other guys? I've never heard or seen anything where Alvin Lee justs sits in with another group.

Right on, I love Alvin Lee's playing style. He really plays the old fashioned way with one note, one pick. Very few trills, hammer-ons/off's, etc. just straight picking and fast too. You rarely hear about him anymore, maybe because he did not release a ton of material like clapton, beck, page.

I think he's in top form on the Woodstock soundtrack. I regret I was too young when all that great music was happening.

Stuck mojo - HVY1

its in my opinion the best live cd, great feel from the crowd but it doesnt come over the music. They dont make a single mistake, especially in the guitar solos, theres like a 45sec one every 2 song, he did them all perfect. And the sound quality is perfect too.

Give it a try, cuz you guys probably dont know this band, which broke up last year btw... its metal/rapcore...

Jackpine wrote:

Has to be one of the darkest albums ever>>

That is a good analogy,

you gotta respect an album that can do that to you, through just a series of tones and words. Go Neil!

Originally posted by Hippie:

Right on, I love Alvin Lee's playing style. He really plays the old fashioned way with one note, one pick. Very few trills, hammer-ons/off's, etc. just straight picking and fast too. You rarely hear about him anymore, maybe because he did not release a ton of material like clapton, beck, page.

I think he's in top form on the Woodstock soundtrack. I regret I was too young when all that great music was happening.

You got this one right Hippie. Crosby S N & Y were "Scared S***tless in front of 500,000 people and all they did was play Suite Judy Blue eyes with four acoustics. Alvin OTOH was burning it up like a man in that little three piece band of his. Huevos Grandes Amigos!! :D:D

BTW-Listen to the Butterfield Blues Band on the "other" Woodstock album. Paul, Mike Bloomfield and Co. were tearing down the house!

Still...."Do You Feel Like I Feel" ranks Numero Uno on all-Time list of live stuff.

When I first started playing guitar it was Deep Purple's `Made in Japan' Check out Steely Dan `Alive in America' Larry

Carlton `Last Night' I also went out and got a CD copy of

B.O.C. `On Your Feet,Or On Your Knees' still sounds pretty cool

Archived