Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

pick a star's guitar

Mark Zeger

The Garcia/Irwin guitar topic prompted this topic.

If you could own a big name guitarist's axe, which would it be? Clapton's Blackie? Neil Young's Martin? Page's Gibson doubleneck? One of Atkins' Gretsches? Lucille?

For me, it would be Pat Metheny's Pikasso, the 42 string harp guitar built by Linda Manzer. Go big or stay home.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! That's one tough choice! Who's guitar, out of all the amazing axe's ever wielded by one of my heroes, would I want?

Michael Hedges' Steve Klein designed and built, harp guitar, or his Dyer or Gibson vintage models, perhaps?

The guitar Paul McCartney used to record, "Yesterday"?

Any guitar played by Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, or James Taylor?

The acoustic Pete Townshend used for Pinball Wizard and/or Behind Blue Eyes?

The electric Mark Knopfler recorded the first Dire Straits album with?

Any guitar of Joe Walsh's?

Sorry, too difficult to decide.

(I was never a Deadhead, but it's shameful that the corporate entity that is the 'Dead decided to reclaim the instruments Jerry Garcia willed back to the luthier. Could you imagine if Van Halen insisted on taking David Lee Roth's stage clothes (bought with Van Halen proceeds) when he left, or Sammy's guitars? How about Creedance Clearwater Revisited demanding ownership of Fogerty's guitars? What kind of lame, anti-'Dead spirit is that? I guess they weren't just in it to play music after all. Can anyone relate the position of the rest of the band? They ARE the corporate entity, aren't they?)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

About the Pikasso: Interesting instrument. I e-mailed Ms. Manzer to ask how one played the darn thing and she said, pretty much, "Heck if I know." She really makes some beautiful stuff. Her site's well worth the visit.

Re a star's guitar: Any of Wes's L5's, with a preseference for the single humbucking one with the heart inlay - which is, by the way, a featured guitar one the Mandolin Bros website. Said axe has a very interesting bio.

Cheers.

Tony Rice's D-28 has about all the mystique you could want in a guitar but I'd feel guilty about having it. It's much better off with someone who can play the hell out of it. Same goes for Richard Thompson's '59 strat. Great instruments belong in the hands of great players.

Not really my thing but...

I did see Steve Vai bring that huge, goofy looking heart shaped thing out on stage with the three necks. I was preparing a snort of contempt but it really works-he had one neck tuned to some weird open key and used it percussively thoughout the song. Still not sure I`d want it, though.

i listed these in the garcia/irwin thread:

blackie

chrissie hynde's purple tele

santana's prs

lennon's rick

i'll add

bruce's tele

any tufnel gibson (how about the wireless :D )

hendrix' charred monterey strat

johnny ramone's white mosrite

willie nelson's nylon-string with the nasty hole in it

rick nielson's quintuple-neck

most of these aren't high-quality guitars (i'll bet blackie has a pretty messed-up fretboard), i just think they're cool guitars with history.

Well, tough choice. If I had to make a decision I think that I would go with Paul Kossoff's 1957 Fender Stratocaster. The guitar is currently owned by Dave Murray of Iron Maiden and it's retired in he's ma's house. He bought it in 1976 and replaced pickups with DiMarzio humbuckers. Great guitar :cool:
If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

Originally posted by Mile:

Well, tough choice. If I had to make a decision I think that I would go with Paul Kossoff's 1957 Fender Stratocaster. The guitar is currently owned by Dave Murray of Iron Maiden and it's retired in he's ma's house. He bought it in 1976 and replaced pickups with DiMarzio humbuckers. Great guitar :cool:

~not cool~THAT is the most horrible story i have ever heard!!

humbuckers on a strat(any strat but especially one like that)-the mind boggles...

AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

Originally posted by stanner:

~not cool~THAT is the most horrible story i have ever heard!!

humbuckers on a strat(any strat but especially one like that)-the mind boggles...

I own two Strats: one Sstandard (3 SCs) and Floyd Rose Clasic Strat (HSS). I like sound of SCs as well as Humbucker thank you very much. BTW that guitar is what Dave used on almost all albums and concerts through '80 and '90.

If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

Originally posted by Groove Yard:

About the Pikasso: Interesting instrument. I e-mailed Ms. Manzer to ask how one played the darn thing and she said, pretty much, "Heck if I know." She really makes some beautiful stuff. Her site's well worth the visit.

I want to know how he keeps 42 strings in tune with wildly varying gauges and lengths.

I've seen him play it several times, once up close in a club on the Trio tour. It's an amazing instrument played by a brilliant artist. On that same club date, he played a just delivered Manzer fretless 12 string and total ripped on it. Pat just kills me.

And the website has major drool factor. Beautiful photos. Those with terminal G.A.S. should avoid it, or pony up $6500 for a basic instrument and wait 18 months.

Originally posted by wager47:

hendrix' charred monterey strat

I remember a late '70s Guitar Player cover with Frank Zappa and that guitar. I think Dweezil owns it now. Serious mojo in that axe.

[ 11-06-2001: Message edited by: mzeger ]

Teh strat Hendrix used on "Voodoo Chile (sligh return)" or "Machine Gun"

Brian May's original home made Red Special

Gilmour's strat he used in the shooting of "Pompei"; or in recording "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"

A '56 strat that sort of belongs to Mike Campbell I've played that is the best sounding strat I've heard.

Eddie's first hacked up strat

Holdsworth's original red Charvel - because I played one of those and it was the best playing guitar I've tried

Time to make the donuts

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I've been fortunate enough to play a bunch of "name" guitars, either in studios or at the luthiers and none of them feel right to me or sound vaguely like the artist concerned so guitars are personal. REAL personal. The sound is in the fingers not the gear.

I once asked Steve Lukather for one of his guitars and offered to pay five times it's value to a charity of his choice and he politely refused on the basis that even though they were signature models he had to play a load to get the one he wanted then play it in.

So, bearing in mind my choice of guitar would be for interest or history it would have to be either Johnny Ramones white Mosrite or Eddie Van Halen's Frankesnstein - both had a big impact on my desire to learn in the first place.

Add Billy Gibbons' famous "Pearly Gates" 'Burst to my list. That's another super cool guitar.

Doing what I do, I certainly am lucky to have the opportunity to see lots of very cool guitars. Like Farranta, I actually have had the chance to play many artist-owned guitars too, including a bunch of Jimmy Page's guitars, Billy Gibbons' guitars, Eric Clapton's "Brownie" Strat, Steve Vai's "Flo," Aerosmith's guitars, Jeff Beck's and Brian May's Red Special. They all definitely have serious vibes, but they don't come with the chops built in!

One of those Turner guitars that Lindsey Buckingham plays. Got that whole crossover fingerpicking electric thing going on. It's acoustic it's electric it's 2 sounds in one. It would be nice if the chops came with the guitar.

James Taylor's acoustic guitar sound is amazing. He's always been able to get the best acoustic guitar sound live. Which I have seen only a few people do as well.

Double that on Billy Gibbons guitar.

Originally posted by Lisa:

including a bunch of Jimmy Page's guitars, Billy Gibbons' guitars, Eric Clapton's "Brownie" Strat, Steve Vai's "Flo," Aerosmith's guitars, Jeff Beck's and Brian May's Red Special. They all definitely have serious vibes, but they don't come with the chops built in!

Too cool. "Envy"....

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

robert johnson's parlour-sized acoustic

johnny thunder's les paul junior

les paul's "the log" homemade solidbody

charlie christian's 1st electric

keith's clear dan armstrong

i second the brain may fireplace guitar, johnny ramone's mosrite, the ace frehley smoker, and the charred jimi strat.

jimmy page's danelectro

springsteen's esquire

george harrison's "magical mystery tour" strat

buck owen's red white and blue "hee haw" acoustic

albert king's flying v

johnny winter's firebird

and last but not least...

bo diddley's gretsch "jupiter thunderbird" not the square guitar, but the one that looks like a cadillac tail fin (only 2 ever made)....

-d. gauss

Damn, D, you picked two of mine...and Oxford picked one, maybe both...

George Harrison's psychedelic strat...

Eric Clapton's psychedelic SG (which may be in the possession of Todd Rundgren)

Johnny Winter's Firebird V

B.B. King's "Lucille"

Hmmm...lessee...

McGuinn's 370-12

A Setzer Gretsch

Steve Stills Gretsch White Falcon

Whatever acoustic J.T. plays...I can't remember, I think it's a Collings...

Duane Allman's Les Paul

And a partridge in a pear tree...and that doesn't mean I want David Cassidy's "Ovation Deacon"...hahaha...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

OK, since I only picked one to start, here's a few more:

Steve Howe's ES-175

Buddy Holly's Strat

Bob Marley's Les Paul Jr. (?)

Charlie Hunter's 8 string Novax (and a few hours of lessons)

Adrian Belew's Roland guitar synth

one of Tom Petty or Mike Campbell's Rick 12 strings

Walter Becker's Sadowsky Strat - sounds sweet on "Two Against Nature"

Tuck Andress' L5 (and a few hours of lessons)

Ron Wood's Zemaitis metal top

and if anyone famous played a D'Angelico New Yorker, I'd like one please

Archived