Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

One hit wonders

fantasticsound

Another fav. post:

• Bougeois/Tagg - I Don't Mind At All
  • ? - One Simple Thing
  • Aliotta, Haynes & Jerimiah - Lake Shore Drive (Let me know if you have a copy of this one, please.)
  • Tim Mensy - That's Good
  • Lionel Cartwright - I Saw It All On My Radio

That's a good start. Who else has some? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Another fav. post:

• Bougeois/Tagg - I Don't Mind At All
  • ? - One Simple Thing
  • Aliotta, Haynes & Jerimiah - Lake Shore Drive (Let me know if you have a copy of this one, please.)
  • Tim Mensy - That's Good
  • Lionel Cartwright - I Saw It All On My Radio

That's a good start. Who else has some? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I'd go along with Bourgeois/Tagg...great song. Producer Todd Rundgren was giving a nod to Sir George Martin on this one. I've heard some of Brent Bourgeois' other stuff, and it's pretty good too.

Oh, but as to fave rave one hit oneders...I'll have to think about it awhile...there were so many.

A Foot In Coldwater (Canadian band)...Make Me Do Anything You Want

Bubble Puppy...Hot Smoke and Sassafras

There are a few from the country catalog, too...

A rather obscure but minor hit for a chap named Dennis William Wilson (no relation to the Beach Boy) called "The Fire Behind His Eyes"...a song about this guy who could really sing when he was drunk. Danny O'Keefe...Goodtime Charlie...there's a couple to get me started.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I have a book that I read quite regularly just for fun, entitled "Billboard Book Of One Hit Wonders" by Wayne Jancik, ISBN 0-8230-7622-9. It is an amazing book. This Jancik guy accumulated 200,000 records over his lifetime. I don't know how many songs are discussed in this book but it's 100's. It covers 1955-1992. What's cool about it is every song is discussed at length. It's a page or two about the artists who did it, where they came from, how the song got to be produced and what happened to the band members after the hit. It's fun reading material.

I could mention "Judy In Disguise" by John Fred & the Playboys. Because they used to play around here in the 60s and they had this huge hit. Also, I'm surprised "All These Things" by Joe Stampley and the Uniques didn't make it. To my knowledge, that was the only hit the Uniques had. And it was a big one. I think both of those songs hit #1 on the pop charts in the late 60s. Of course, Joe Stampley later became a country star. He grew up 15 miles from my home. He's still touring some. I saw him play two weeks ago. Still sounds like he always did.

------------------

Duke

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

How bout Wishbone Ash.....they had the one album that everyone bought back then with Blowing Free and Throw Down the Sword, then disappeared. Great guitars.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Wishbone Ash would count. The Buggles would, too...but Yes...couldn't really count them, they're legends. Although they haven't had many AM radio hits ("Roundabout" and "All Good People" etc. were FM only) counting them as one-hit wonders would be like counting Kansas as a one hit wonder for "Dust In The Wind"...

Oops...sorry Gulliver, I finally caught your drift...

This message has been edited by Tedster on 10-17-2001 at 06:32 PM

I visited a one hit wonder site when I wrote the topic, and I disgree with the notion they put forth, that a one hit wonder can be Yes, or Rush, or Kansas, just because they didn't have high numbers for several singles. The fact that people can name 5, 10, even 15 songs from these groups that are known to non-fans says a lot about their status as one hit wonders.

My definition: A one hit wonder has a big song, then disappears entirely off the pop music radar. The Buggles count, as does Brent Bougeois. (Although Brent has been quite alive and kicking as a songwriter, since.) Bougeois/Tagg is a prime example because everything else on that album was terrible. One acoustic tune with some keys, surrounded by a bunch of bad electronic music.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Hey guys and gals!

Sorry Tedster,got to disagree with Wishbone Ash as one hit wonders they like Yes, Rush,etc.didn't have many hits as such but sold a shit load of albums.Then again, what a one hit wonder is in the U.S.could be a big success in the U.K. and vice versa.

Therefore my nomination for the one hit wonders,top of the crash and burn

league is....

Sigue Sigue Sputnik and "Love Missile F1-11"

Top that!

Hugo.

Well yeah, you're right about Wishbone Ash. For that matter, I wouldn't count any band that only had one AM hit but a large FM following...like REO's "Can't Fight This Feeling"...almost, to the non-FM listener, would give them one-hit wonder status...except for their massive FM airplay negates that. One hit wonders are like Vanity Fair...

What about "Green Eyed Lady"--Sugarloaf

also "Keep On Smilin'"--Wet Willie

and "Mindbender"--Stillwater

I still dig Jimmy Hall from Wet Willie and he's still around and playin' and playin' extremely well... check out his new tune "Don't Hit Me No More"

Stillwater was represented in the movie "Almost Famous" although their very best tune "Mindbender" was not, which was a bummer.

In general though I hate the whole concept of a "hit".

I hate and resent the concept of "Major Label Bands"

I think pop music generally sucks! and sucks BIG!

As an example...just because the general public thinks a band "disappeared", don't neccisarily make it so...as Jimmy Hall is doin' some of his best work ever!

"Fame" is an ignorant and shitty concept made possible by the greedy moguls and a stupid public that thrives on mind numbing repetition and ritual.

It's a big fuckin' world out there people!... try wakin' the fuck up and figuring out some shit for yourselves once in a while... instead of letting some fat cats get fatter feedin' you shit!

Andrew "I hate everybody and I hope they hate me!"

DK's had way more punk rock "hits".

Andrew that's my line!

Another one hit wonder was Doctor and The Medics who covered Spirit in the sky. Some good early nineties one hitters, my pipe that looked like a Marlboro with the wooden case, oh no I mean ah, how about The Toadies, Nada Surf's song Popular and Screaming Trees

t.fall "sometimes the rhetoric don't go with the contents"

Santo and Johnny - Sleepwalk

The Farina brothers. Johnny is still playing.

One of their albums:

The Beatles Greatest Hits Played by Santo & Johnny, SCALP-1017

This message has been edited by gatorwing@aol.com on 10-19-2001 at 12:09 PM

There are two theories about arguing with a woman. Neither one works.

Why couldn't Golden Earring leave well enough alone and stay a one hit wonder with "Radar Love"? Then they go a spoil the distinction with "Twilight Zone". OK, so they're a 2 hit wonder.

'80s MTV was littered with one hit wonders. Too many to mention: Greg Kihn, Kim Wilde, Gary Numan, Soft Cell, OMD, Big Country, Kajagoogoo, T-Pau, Dead or Alive.

Originally posted by DC:

Badfinger was kindof a two hit wonder; 'No Matter What' and 'Day After Day.'

Actually, there were two other hits of lesser status attributed to that band...their first was the McCartney penned "Come and get it" from the soundtrack of the bizarre Peter Sellers and Ringo movie "The Magic Christian"...and another off the "Straight Up" LP (Day after day) called "Baby Blue".

Originally posted by lapetrarca:

Strawberry Alarm Clock - Too Much to Dream Last Night (?)

? and The Mysterians - 96 Tears

Archie Bell and the Drells - Tighten Up

Blues Image - Ride Captain Ride

Iron Butterfly - In A Goda Davida

Strawberry Alarm Clock did "Incense and Peppermints"...a very good one hit wonder tune in my book.

I believe "Too Much to Dream" was by the Thirteenth Floor Elevators.

Originally posted by Tedster:

Strawberry Alarm Clock did "Incense and Peppermints"...a very good one hit wonder tune in my book.

I believe "Too Much to Dream" was by the Thirteenth Floor Elevators.

There a great compilation called "Nuggets" that has a lot of this '60s one hit wonder material.

Originally posted by mzeger:

There a great compilation called "Nuggets" that has a lot of this '60s one hit wonder material.

Yup, I've got the first volume...such treasures as "Dirty Water" by the Standells, "Open My Eyes" by the Nazz...as well as some hilarious clunkers. There's one on there called "It's a Happening" by the Magic Mushrooms. I'm sure it was really psychedelic and cool at the time, but when you listen to it after 35 years it sounds dated and comical.

Strange that you should mention the Easybeats. I saw George Young on Behind the Music talking about his kid brothers Angus and Malcolm a couple of weeks ago. Hmmm, maybe AC/DC oughta do a remake of "Friday on My Mind" and bring their older brother out to rock with them on it...nahhh...it's not "power chordy" enough for AC/DC to do.

Archived