Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Les Paul alternative

Ok, I'm a keyboard player with a decent project studio.

I play guitar a bit. I bought a standard American Strat and a Top Hat amplifier.

I want to have on hand a complementary guitar to the Strat. A friend brought in a Les Pauol and through the Top Hat it got some gorgeous sustained notes that I couldn't get from my Strat. I understand that the humbucking pickups are a big part of getting that sound.

Because of my hard feeling about the Gibson Company killing off Opcode I won't buy a Gibson product.

Can someone suggest an complementary guitar to the Strat? I've been looking at Schecter guitars. I think I'll need to take in my amp to try the guitars out. Any advice that would help me narrow my search would be grateful. I'd like to spen the least amount of money so I'm trying to budget a miximum of a $1000 for this purchase if that's necessary but would prefer to stay under $600.

Joe

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This topic has been addressed before, so you can find some info by using the forum's search feature.

My advice... check out the Tokai Loverock. A high-quality guitar (LP clone) for a fraction of the price! You can usually find them for around $500.

Scott

(just another cantankerous bastard)

How about one of the new PRS Santana SE's. They're in your price range, play and sound like my "US made" PRS's and no money goes to Gibson. They don't have a "carved top" but for the difference in price, it could be the answer to your needs.

They're kinda hard to find 'cause they sell out pretty quick when they hit the sales floor, but I tried one for about an hour and I was impressed.

I'd also suggest Carvin... they have a model that is somewhat of a LP shape that in it's simplest form, (no flame top), is very nice... and in yoru price range.

Then there's Heritage. They are the guys who got left behind in Kalamazoo, MI when Gibson moved to Nashville. The company is owned and operated by the same guys that had built Gibson guitars for decades, and the quality, sound, and playability are excellent, for a fraction of the price. You can probably get their LP version in your price range.

d gauss's idea of used is also a good one, (he's always getting things right!). I bought a used PRS McCarty for $1,000 about a year ago... if you can find one used at that price... buy it! I also bought a '93 LP Standard for about $800 a month later. Two great used guitars for the price of one!!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

If you're willing to put up with '80's pointy headed necks, Used Jacksons and Charvels are a great deal. You can probably find a Charvel Model 6, with neck through and so on for around $300. Pawnshop prize!

In the new guitar world, Washburn makes some decent guitars, especially the ones with the Buzz Feiten tuning system. US Hamer's are well made, even some of the Korean ones are cool. I have a Echotone, which is a Korean made ES-335 clone. It has a solid maple top, (unlike Gibson), great action, and in a "blind" sound test the day I bought it, (for $400), it sounded and played better than a $2000 Gibson ES-335.

I hope some of this helps you out... there's probably never been a better selection of cool, great playing and sounding guitars than RIGHT NOW!!!

Have fun checking them out!

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I have an Echotone too and they are decent guitars for getting that classic semi-hollowbody sound at a reasonable price.

If you want the thick, sustain, and vibe of a Les Paul then I would buy the real thing. Used is fine, new is fine too. There is nothing like a real LP. The shape, the way it feels in your hands, the absolute beauty of the thing. If only I had the same passion for my girlfriend.

Thanks for the feedback.

I went to Guitar Center and had a conversation with one of the salesmen. The Jackson's and Charvel's were mentioned.

I got info on the difference between Duncan designed pickups and actual Seymour Duncan pickups.

I think I'll just have to take the time and research this by trying all these guitars.

Joe

Originally posted by jtegan@tiac.net:

I went to Guitar Center and had a conversation with one of the salesmen.

I feel your pain.

And as an orphaned Vision user (since v1.x in '89), I echo your feelings about boycotting Gibson products. While it's true that buying a used Gibson provides no direct profit to the company, fostering demand for their used instruments maintains their resale value and indirectly increases the value of Gibson's new product. PRS is a great way to go. They recently introduced a single cutaway design that's esthetically similar to a LP, perhaps even more elegant.

• 3 weeks later...
PRS is a good guitar. Funny, nobody mentioned Fender. If you like feel of Fender guitars you can check out American Double Fat Strat with two Seymour Duncan humbuckers! Also try to spot Samick. I've heard that they have fine arch tops for less than grand.
If it sounds god, just play the darn thing

After trying out a number of guitars, I went with a Schecter Diamond Series.

It has Duncan Design pickups. I tried the Schecter against other guitars with the Seymour Duncan pickups and preferred the sound of this guitar. The guitar plays well, met my budget and gets a nice warm sound with my amp with preamp and master set all the way up.

Joe

Originally posted by guitplayer:

...I have a Echotone, which is a Korean made ES-335 clone. It has a solid maple top, (unlike Gibson)...

guitplayer

If you're going to state your opinions about these guitars, guitplayer, at least get your facts straight.

Both 335's have solid tops, backs, and fingerboards. All you need do is check the website.

Only the sides are laminated, and guess what? That makes them far stronger than solid pieces, in construction of the guitar that has little effect on the timbre.

I have no love for Gibson's mistakes of the past. But nobody else has ante'd up for the Opcode properties. Don't you think Henry would've sold it to someone who wished to build it back up?

It's pretty silly to boycott the company based on that. If you like the guitars, buy one. I hear the same arguements in reference to Harley Davidson motorcycles. But people keep buying 'em!

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by djehuti:

You might want to consider Carvin. A lot of people don't like them because they're not a houshold name, but for the price range you want they're hard to beat.

A buddy of mine plays a Carvin. A couple of times I've sat in with their band, I used his guitar. The thing damn near played itself! Wonderful guitar!!!

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

If you're going to state your opinions about these guitars, guitplayer, at least get your facts straight.

Both 335's have solid tops, backs, and fingerboards. All you need do is check the website.

Only the sides are laminated, and guess what? That makes them far stronger than solid pieces, in construction of the guitar that has little effect on the timbre.

I have no love for Gibson's mistakes of the past. But nobody else has ante'd up for the Opcode properties. Don't you think Henry would've sold it to someone who wished to build it back up?

It's pretty silly to boycott the company based on that. If you like the guitars, buy one. I hear the same arguements in reference to Harley Davidson motorcycles. But people keep buying 'em!

Neil,

Maybe we're looking at two different sites...

Here's a link to Gibson's website, ES-335 Block...

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Classic/ES-335LE.html

It says:

Body

Laminated Maple, Maple center block

The ES-335 Reissue link is:

http://www.gibson.com/products/gibson/Classic/ES-335.html

It says:

Body

Laminated figured Maple, Maple center block

I LIKE ES-335's... And I'm not saying that solid tops ALWAYS sound or are better than non-solid tops... but if ES-335's HAVE solid maple tops, maybe Gibson could make this clearer on their site... don't 'cha think?

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

My bad. I was looking at the binding spec and saw single ply...

I'll check on Tuesday as to why they laminate these instruments. After looking at other Classic series models, I notice all have laminated bodies. There must be a good reason for this, as it's more expensive for them to build them this way. (They have a computer controlled rough shaper for Les Paul arch tops, but those arches are laminated to a solid body.

Neil

This message has been edited by fantasticsound on 09-02-2001 at 03:17 PM

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Get a Hamer. They are incredible guitars, for less then most LPs and are at least as good as PRS, McInturff, and almost as good as Warrior. But for the money, they are THE best.

Psalm 33:3

The best instrument you have, is your heart.

• 3 weeks later...
Hamers are really cool. I couldn't be happier with my Godin LGX-SA. Mahogany with Maple top like a LesPaul with 2 Seymour Duncan humbuckers. Jeff Beck model in saddle position. LR Baggs acoustic transducers under the bridge with 3 way active EQ which is also used for the GK2 compatible synth output. All my musician friends complement the hell out of how it sounds. Beautifully built. Neck mahogany with Ebony fret board. I've owned lots of LesPauls and it really is quite similar in sound and body shape.

Archived