Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got back from the Tom Petty concert.

Tedster

Tom Petty and Jackson Browne. GREAT show...Jackson Browne's guitarist is such a damn good slide player.

Petty and Campbell were like a touring guitar museum. Lessee...

They opened the show with "matching" (from where I could see)...'63 Firebird IIIs...then on to a couple Teles. Campell donned a Seafoam Green Jaguar...a Coral Electric Sitar (Don't come around here)...a Korina '58-style V (but it had a black pickguard)...an SG...lessee, what else?

Petty played a Tele, a couple of Ricks... a '66 Firebird (the regular body style with 2 P-90s)...a Guild acoustic 12...etc. etc. Heck, it was worth it just to see what kind of cool guitars they'd be playing.

Good show. One of their encores was Dylan's "Rainy Day Women 12 and 35" (Everybody must get stoned). The crowd went wild...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't David Lindley Jackson Browne's slide player? When I saw him he was playing lap steel alot. Monster player, and quite the snazzy second hand store polyester clothes hound.

Yeah I love TP's guitar tones.....really tasteful. Mike Campbell is a great player.....he definitely knows how to color a song.

Another unsung monster player that's associated with these guys is Bruce Cockburn......I wish he was around more.

Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Originally posted by strat0124:

Isn't David Lindley Jackson Browne's slide player? When I saw him he was playing lap steel alot. Monster player, and quite the snazzy second hand store polyester clothes hound.

Yeah I love TP's guitar tones.....really tasteful. Mike Campbell is a great player.....he definitely knows how to color a song.

I used to have Lindley's first 2 solo records, "El Rayo X" & "Win This Guitar"...great stuff throughout both. Worth finding, especially "El Rayo X". He plays a lot of ethnic stringed instruments like saz, quinto, etc.

As for Petty, having both Mike Campbell on guitar and Benmont Tench on keyboard in the same band is an embarrasment of riches.

Originally posted by mzeger:

As for Petty, having both Mike Campbell on guitar and Benmont Tench on keyboard in the same band is an embarrasment of riches.

Yes. And he used to have Stan Lynch on drums for 20 years too, talk about a TRIPLE embarrassment. Too bad he pretty much takes them all for granted.

--Lee

Well, it did kinda piss me off that, as I was sitting wa-ay back on the lawn, the video camera operators kept the camera on Petty pretty much the whole show...with little dabs of Campbell thrown in. They kinda did the same thing with Jackson Browne, but it was really too light to see the screens during his performance...

But, even so, they were shooting Petty ABOVE THE GUITAR...like, what the heck is wrong with these jokers? If Petty was playing an old Rick, I wanted to see that.

But as for being unappreciative of his bandmates, that would be something that mainly an insider (or ex-insider) like Lynch would know. But, I still like the tunes...and it's really cool to hear about 10,000 people singing along who know every word to every song played.

saw petty last year in a small club here in nyc. he's a fave of mine (pre dave stewart/jeff lynne nonsense), but it was a little tired. he seemed kinda going through the motions. ok, but not great. they leaned a lot on the hired hand guy they bring on the road with them, and it wasn't the same with session journeyman steve ferrone on drums (though he's much more solid than stan ever was, but stan was pretty inventive)... however, i have bootlegs of the mostly cover tunes san francisco 17 nnights at the fillmore shows a year or so earlier and they ARE fun! the stage WAS a gear museum on stage though. funny thing is, Bo Diddley opened the show and (after seeing him totally suck for the last who knows how many years), he totally ROCKED! i mean the vibe in the whole club for Bo was amazing. petty and campbell were watching from the wings with their mouths wide open! he had a great backing band (jon paris' band which included two women)and Bo was in fine form playing mostly new material...no oldies retread!

-d. gauss

Petty and Campbell are guitar tonehounds. What amps were they playing through? BTW the Tele that Petty plays is a custom made Tele-copy. Campbell on the other hand has an old Broadcaster, I believe.

I was WA-AAAAYYYYYY up on the lawn...and like I said, the stupid camera people didn't catch a shot of the amps. But, as best as I could tell, it looked like the ol' AC-30 Top Boost. I know Petty prefers 'em. Can't say what Campbell was playing through.

Petty seemed quite relaxed and having fun onstage...like he was truly glad to be there. They did extend a couple of songs, IMHO, to a little beyond their usefulness. "It's good to be king"...from Wildflowers...they turned it into a near-Allmans-length jam with about 5 false endings. A little long for that tune. They did it with another tune as well.

And, they didn't play "The Waiting".

Tedster,

I saw Tom Petty back in May at the Gorge Amphitheater in Washington. I had incredible seats and had a very good view of the stage. Tom was playing through Fender amps and Mike was playing through Line 6 amps. Seeing Mike play through a digital amp was quite a surprise, but his sound sounded great as always. He also was using the Line 6 delay pedal as well. I had to ask my guitar playing buddy next to me to confirm this, but he was most definitely using a Line 6.

-Dylan

Originally posted by Tedster:

They did extend a couple of songs, IMHO, to a little beyond their usefulness. "It's good to be king"...from Wildflowers...they turned it into a near-Allmans-length jam with about 5 false endings. A little long for that tune. They did it with another tune as well.

He did the exact same thing with "It's good to be King" when I saw him! I was kind of bummed that Mike Campbell didn't do some crazy ass solo that night, but he kept it pretty tame unfortunately. I mean, I don't expect a shred solo from Mike Campbell, but he can jam with the best of him so he should show off his chops a bit more, IMHO.

-Dylan

Originally posted by Tedster:

But as for being unappreciative of his bandmates, that would be something that mainly an insider (or ex-insider) like Lynch would know.

Well, to my ears, all you had to do was listen to the records. d gauss mentions that he's a huge fan "pre Dave Stewart/Jeff Lynne nonsense" which are my sentiments exactly. If you saw the band live before the "Full Moon Fever" album, especially on the tours with Bob Dylan, you really know how amazing they could be when they were allowed to let it rip. Unfortunately a lot of people will never know that, because most of the time they were and are NOT allowed to, especially on record, which if you compared with said concert experiences the difference would be obvious. Sigh...

Hey d gauss, what do you mean when you say Ferrone is more "solid" than Stan ever was? I'll probably haveta disagree with you there. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

--Lee

You guys and gals are so lucky to have seen Tom Petty live. I have yet to see them in concert. I love Mike Cambell's tone and playing style. It is surprising to hear that he's using Line 6 amps. But that just goes to show you, it's not all about gear. It's about the ear.........

<

when i saw them a year or so ago, campbell had a stack of six differnet amps. an ac-30, some tweed fender stuff, maybe a matchless (i forget) and a kustom solid state amp with tremolo (which i think he use alot on the "echo" record)... there was so much cool gear on stage it was sick!

to lee flier: re: stan lynch. i think it was stan himself who kinda cane out recently in an interview and said that he wasn't able to cut it enough for them. my thought take was he was kinda like a ringo player...he had some great orignal drum ideas (i.e. american girl, breakdown, etc.) but he wasn't a,for lack of a better term, groove machine. nothing wrong with that, they're just 2 different beasts. same could be said of charle watts, and who doesn't love sweet old charlie? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

btw, old man bill wyman is out touring his own stuff this summer, so the rumor mill is in full force for a "last hurrah" stones tour next year with bill....

-d. gauss

-d. gauss

Originally posted by d gauss:

to lee flier: re: stan lynch. i think it was stan himself who kinda cane out recently in an interview and said that he wasn't able to cut it enough for them. my thought take was he was kinda like a ringo player...he had some great orignal drum ideas (i.e. american girl, breakdown, etc.) but he wasn't a,for lack of a better term, groove machine.

AAARRRGGGGHHHH... well now I'm really pissed.

Not at you, though.

The thing is, Stan has been a friend of mine for 23 years. And some people would say therefore that my opinion is biased, but what they don't get is that the whole reason he became my friend in the first place was because I saw the Heartbreakers at a little club in L.A. in 1978, before anybody really knew who they were, and I thought Stan was the best drummer I'd ever seen. I mean he floored me completely. From that point on I just wanted to hang out with him and talk about drums, and music in general. And I must have over a hundred ticket stubs from subsequent Heartbreakers shows lying around here somewhere. I was that big of a fan.

Well, I loved their first 5 records immensely, but I never thought Stan played on record the way he did live. I knew he and Petty had pretty frequent disagreements and Stan is a very opinionated guy, but I didn't really realize the nature of the "issues" between them until much later, when I learned that Petty totally squelched a lot of Stan's playing style. I mean Charlie Watts is one of Stan's heroes but so are Bonham and Moon. And Petty wanted nothing to do with any of that. He was always telling Stan in the studio, "Play more straight ahead." "The drums are getting in the way." Etc. Eventually this seriously ate away at Stan's confidence and of course, he finally left. The other guys got basically the same treatment, but they weren't as vocal in their disapproval of this policy as Stan was, and it seems that they didn't get quite as much of it either.

So when Stan says he didn't "cut it" he's saying it with a great deal of irony.

When he was actually able to play the way he wanted, like I said, he just blew me away. He had incredible dynamics and perfect time. He was ridiculously consistent in his energy level and control, and was never, ever not paying attention to the other players. "Groove machine" would be an understatement - at least to the extent that it was really appropriate or possible to be that on Tom Petty's songs. Stan brought an awesome, focused intensity to the drums while at the same time obviously having a blast. In short, when given the chance he beat the crap out of the drums and often stole the show, by all accounts.

In 1990 or so I saw him play with Roger McGuinn at the Troubadour in L.A. By this time his playing with Petty was pretty much by rote and he wasn't having much fun at all. But when he played with McGuinn he really opened up. Jaded L.A. critics' jaws dropped and they ran out of superlatives in trying to describe in reviews how great Stan was.

Sorry to get on such a rant, but this still gets me mad. I often wonder what he would have done in a band that really appreciated and encouraged his contributions. I still think he's one of the best rock drummers in the bidness - although these days he's getting some serious competition from the drummer I'm playing with now. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif And he agrees!

--Lee

Two sides of an issue...

A lot of band leaders are egomaniacs who want no one in the band that will steal the show from them. A friend of mine used to play with Bob Seger's original keyboard player and was told once: "If you ever play that kind of solo again you'll be out of the band"...indicating that he didn't want anyone upstaging him. A ridiculous thing...I mean, my buddy was a guitar player, and this guy was a keyboard player. I would have thought the keyboard player would have wanted a jaw dropping guitar solo now and then.

On the other hand...

I'm a songwriter (of sorts, albeit)...and I can relate to hearing something one way in my head, and when one of the band is doing something else, something contrary to my "image" of the song, I have to bring it up and rectify it.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other...

Archived