Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Speakers discoloring TV

My stereo speakers, which are sitting on each side of the tv, suddenly started to discolor the screen on one side. If I move the speakers a bit the colors change/go away if positioned the right way. They were sitting in their places for 6 months without having this problem. What would cause this? How do I fix it (while keeping the speakers in their original places)? Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, it's the magnets in the speakers that are causing this. Wanna have fun? Get an old color TV...one that still works, but has outlived its usefulness. Take a magnet across the screen and see what happens.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

It's the magnets. Your speakers are not shielded. This will permannently damage your TV or computer monitor. Either get shielded speakers or back the speakers off the TV by at least 8 inches (depending on how big those magnets are). - JEFF

It's likely that you just didn't notice the discoloration when the speakers were first put there. Or maybe the magnetic fields from each speaker counter-acted the effects of each other, so it balanced out. Let me guess; someone has recently moved the TV or the speakers. It's the magnets in the speakers that cause this. Many home-theater speakers are shielded to prevent this from happening. Now you can *SEE* the effect that invisible magnetic fields have on things around them. Keep that in mind the next time you set a cassette or VHS tape on a speaker! If the speakers sat there for 6 months the effect on the TV will last for a while, but it is probably not permanent. You should see the effect start to gradually dissipate. Just for your info, you shouldn't place unshielded speakers next to TVs or computer monitors...

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by BNC: [b]I suspected it was the magnets (since there is not much else in a speaker), but what would cause a sudden change in the tv's picture?[/b][/quote]BNC, did you change the order in which you powered up the two? I noticed my old Yamaha speakers would distort my computer screen IF I turned them on after the monitor, but not the other way around. But I agree with Jeff, get those speakers away from the TV a bit. If that's not possible, sounds like its time to upgrade to a plasma TV! :idea:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Moving the speakers closer and further from the TV will produce a change in the magnetic field relative to the screen on your TV. I'm not a TV tech, but the mechanism for putting the picture on your screen is magnetic...and you're disturbing that field with the speakers there, so, typically one side of the screen will be sorta pinkish (magenta) and one side will be a bit greenish...or something of that sort. Moving the speakers further away from the TV screen will fix that. And, it will happen with any TV as well.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Super 8: [b]Now you can *SEE* the effect that invisible magnetic fields have on things around them. Keep that in mind the next time you set a cassette or VHS tape on a speaker![/b][/quote]Hey Super8, do you have any idea if storing cassettes or VHSs close to the TV is bad? I'm kinda set up that way, don't know if its a bad thing or not. :confused:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

[quote]Originally posted by BNC: [b]My stereo speakers, which are sitting on each side of the tv, suddenly started to discolor the screen on one side. If I move the speakers a bit the colors change/go away if positioned the right way. They were sitting in their places for 6 months without having this problem. What would cause this? How do I fix it (while keeping the speakers in their original places)? Thanks[/b][/quote]You can buy sheets mu-metal and place them on the sides of the speaker cabinet that are closest to the TV or attach them to the sides of the TV. This will help shield the TV from the magnetic field. You can also call the manufacturer of the speaker and see if they have shielded versions of the drivers (preferably ones that use both a bucking magnet and a shielding can) that you can use instead of the current unshielded drivers. It is important to note that you can't shield the front of the drivers and there is always some stray magnetic field that can affect some sensitive TVs. Moving the TV backward or forward a few inches can help improve the affects of the magnetic field. Hope that helps...

Pascal Sijen

Co-Founer

www.abluesky.com

[quote]Originally posted by Botch.: [b]do you have any idea if storing cassettes or VHSs close to the TV is bad?[/b][/quote]No...but don't store them on or near speaker drivers. Again, you're dealing with a) magnets and b) specifically arranged particles of iron on the tapes. See the problem? :) Know what a quick eraser is? A big-ass magnet. - Jeff

We have the same problem at my workplace - we sell car audio gear. When someone brings a pair of speakers or a sub within about 300mm (one foot for all of you people who like inches and crap ;-) ) of the computer monitors, they become discoloured around part of the screen. Luckily, our monitors degauss themselves every time you turn them on (hewlett-packard) so all you have to do is turn them off or on. I know that you can get TV sets degaussed - so maybe that'll solve your problem.

If you can open the speaker cabs, you can use tin-foil or mu-metal attached to the inside of the cabinet, where it won't be seen, without altering the sound of the speaker. Just be sure it's attached firmly or you'll get audible vibration! ;) Botch, the probable reason your system freaked out when the TV was powered up first is because a large electric pulse created a large magnetic pulse every time you powered up the speakers. Power the speakers up first and the pulse dissapates before you turn on the TV. Ted, TV's aren't magnetic. They shoot electrons at the screen. Electrons, being negatively charged, will be attracted/repelled by magnetic fields. A/V monitors often have a degausser built in. You may have one on your TV. Check the menus and manual for the answer. If your set has one, simply hit the menu option and it will degauss your set. The manufacturer may recommend doing this with no signal applied. (Black screen)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Firstly, a *changing* magnetic field is much more "erasing" do tape-media than a static one. Hence the high frequency magnetic field from a TV, although much weaker, could be dangerous to a VCR tape just as the strong but static field from a speaker magnet. Get a DVD player :) Anyway, BEWARE of speakers and monitors. If you get too close you will permanently damage the monitor, because there is a film of metal suspended within the tube called the "shadow mask", which is the thingy that guides each electronic beam onto it's corresponding phoshor color dot... its basically a sheet with a million holes in it perfectly aligned to the red/green/blue phosphor dots on your screen. Touch it's alignment, bend it... and you'll have colors that can't be fixed. A great way to permanently damage that is to wave a big ass magnet in front of the TV screen. /Z

[quote] Now you can *SEE* the effect that invisible magnetic fields have on things around them. Keep that in mind the next time you set a cassette or VHS tape on a speaker! [/quote]Whoa, Super8, I am familiar with this in my incognizant mind; but guilty, nonetheless, of violation. I do not have any tapes or CD's setting ON the speakers, but I have a chrome stereo system rack where my speakers set directly above my stash of CD's, both blank and recorded media; there's not more than an inch in between the bottom of the racks where the speakers set, and the top layers of CD's. Also, I have cassette tape holders mounted on the wall directly behind one of the speakers, and of course, the holders are LOADED with work tapes of music that I have worked on and never converted over to digital. Also, my blank cassettes are stored in the same holders... I have the capacity to hold 360 cassettes and there are merely a few blank openings. Now I wondering how in the world I'll need to rearrange, and whether or not I've destroyed any precious media that might be lost forever, as they are originals with no other back-ups. Slap the hands of a blinded fool if I've lost anything good; I know better.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Things that can be negatively and permamnently affected by magnetism: - Things that use little chunkies of ferrous oxides arranged in little patterns on plastic to approximate an analogy of sounds and/or images. These would be tapes, like VHS, cassette and so on. - Things that are made of metal that are designed to direct phosphors that approximate the colors red, green and blue. These would be components of televisions and computer monitors. Solutions: - Keep big-ass magnets like speakers away from the things that they can negatively affect. - Shield those big-ass magnets. Have a nice day. - Jeff

Archived