Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Kurzweil PC1se has arrived!

Ceasefire

And i'm going to have to go to Old Navy this weekend cause i'm running out of pants.

For those interested, i've taken an onslaught of pictures for all to check out .. i've only auditioned about 30 of the sounds thus far making it through the wurlies to the clavs .. and omg .. refer to the pants comment.

i'll be using this board as my piano & wurlies with an Electro 61 on 2nd tier for the B3 .. i know that i have some overlap there but it was needed as a few of our songs i have the need to play B3 and wurlies at the same time .. and i wanted something with some versatility ..

did i mention that she's beautiful? stunning really .. i picked her up sight unseen so i'm very happy with how she looks and how she feels .. i'm not exactly a stranger to kurz's tho as i've had my K2500 since '98

anyway, i'll throw more thoughts your way after spending some time with it this weekend and reading the book cover to cover

but for now, on with the pictures!

peace

greg

brooks wood band

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear002.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear005.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear006.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear007.jpg

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear010.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear011.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear012.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear013.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear014.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear015.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear017.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear018.jpg

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/gholzer/pictures/KurzGear019.jpg

by the way .. i picked this badboy up from sweetwater and didn't know it, but the bag came free. ROCK!

i happen to love the action .. it's more weighted than the K2500 (which admittingly is semi-weighted) but it's just a fraction lighter than my upright piano (Knabe & Co.) in the pics to the left of the boards .. which is fine by me .. i actually prefer to be lighter than a real piano .. but not quite so light as semi-weighted, so i'm in action heaven really hah

audiomidi had a 10% off before Dec 31st and i held sweetwaters hand to the fire a little bit to see if they could swing the discount .. and they did ;) so knock off 10% of the $1595 tag and add 20 bucks for shipping .. :)

i will give more details as i accumulate the first hand experience with it .. unfortunately it's like 11pm eastern time and the neighbors would not like me much if i started blasted away hah

Awesome! Congratulations. The only thing I think would benefit this one is a set of 4 sliders, like the PC2X has. Looks like there is enough real estate there for the sliders, but guess you can't have it all.

Enjoy it and let us know how you like the sound and the action.

Regards,

Eric

Wow! This is almost spooky! I was going to post a thread about how excited I am about getting my PC1se that arrived yesterday, and gigging with my Electro 61 on top. I guess this idea could catch on quick! I haven't had much time to spend with it yet, but so far I am really impressed by the quality of the sounds, and the whole board itself, and yes, it looks pretty cool too! :idea: (Just kidding C.J.) ;) No, seriously, I didn't think the keyboard would seem as big and heavy as she is...at least bigger to what I am used to using (NE61 & Kurz SP76 w/JV1010). And with the very nice gig bag that came with it, there is another 6 or so inches of padding on the sides making it a pretty lengthy overall. Oh well, I really need a new car anyway.

Haven't had enough time with it yet to provide more details for anyone interested. But I will post more as I get to spend all weekend with her. Gotta go back to the next preset! Later,

Jim

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

Originally posted by eric:

Question. Can those performance knobs which are labeled as EQ and ABCD be used for controlling volume in a 4-part sound?

Thanks,

Eric

In SETUP mode the the knobs A - D and four switches (SW 1 and 2 below the knobs) and (SW 3 and SW 4 above the wheels) can be programmed to any CC# plus or over a dozen other functions. These can be assigned independantly for each of the four zones, e.g. KNOB A could send cc#1 to Zone 1 and cc#11 to zone 2, etc. Zones can be internal, external or both. Unique to the Kurzweil is the ability to merge incoming MIDI data for use with internal sounds or to pass it on to downstream MIDI modules.

Kurzweil is very clear in the overview in the manual. The PC means Performance Controller. The sounds are considered more of a bonus.

Busch.

Eric,

That is a very good question, and one that I was wondering as well. I am going to assume it is possible, as the Midi capabilities of this board are much greater than one might initially think, but I will try and find out for sure. I think on some presets, one knob is set for volume of one layer, but not for all four. Two of the knobs are dedicated for effects if I remember the manual correctly, but I don't know if this is across the board for all sounds.

I am trying to plan how I can get the midi setups programmed for using with the NE61. My goal is to have a different setup programmed for each song in a set, and just hit a setup before the song to control program changes, and zones, etc. on the Nord as well. I think I will use the NE61 keyboard for brass and clavs (and, of course organ), and use the Kurz board mostly for pianos & EPs. There are so many possibilities to consider, and they are all pretty awesome to think about! :)

Jim

PC3X, PC1se, NE2 61, DSI P08, ARP Odyssey MkII 2810, ARP Little Brother, Moog Slim Phatty, Doepfer Dark Energy, Arturia MiniBrute, Microkorg, Motion Sound KP200S,

Those pictures were pretty freaking sexy. I like how the pics take you through the sequence of you 'undressing' the unit. Talk about a GAS stimulator. Very nice looking rig too next to the upright with the Nord. Congratulations. How do you rate the acoustic piano against the competetors? (Yamaha CPs, Roland Fantom, etc) Kurzweil's piano sounds have always been awesome and I know some players that still use their 15 year old PC88s!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Originally posted by jimtheswede:

Only one problem I've discovered....In the Aug. issue of Keyboard on page 79, the PC1se ad states: "AND SHE FITS IN THE BACK SEAT OF YOUR CAR!" Well......she doesn't!!!! :cry: I just assumed that since the SP76 fit in the trunk with some room to spare, that the PC1se would fit just fine. Wrong! Won't fit in the trunk or the back seat. I am going to have to buy a new car because of this keyboard.

In my opinion, this is a travesty if you need to buy a new vehicle for a keyboard. Not sure of your situation or if a new car was something you needed anyways, but by all means, stick with your current rig vs. buying a car! Does your seat not fold down?

I've struggled with a similar conundrum for over a year with my S90 vs. S90ES waffling. My S90 in its flight case is a snug fit in my SUV. The S90ES would require a new case approx 6" longer and while there is a way I could fit it into my vehicle, it would not be as easy to do on a repeatable basis. Therefore, I have resisted the urge to upgrade, primarily based on vehicle loading logistics.

I have been intrigued by the PC1se ever since I saw the ad for it with the fully weighted keys and a decent engine behind it, however, it is not much different in size from my S90. I'm still intrigued, but perhaps not enough to buy one today. If those wheels had been above the keyboard rather than beside it, I would feel differently. My ultimate goal is to go to gigs in a sedan rather than an SUV.

Regards,

Eric

Do we smell GAS in the air????

Actually, I can get the board/w bag in the car lengthwise with the back seat down, but that doesn't leave much room for my amp, stands, the wife and her gear. I'll just have to find a different way to pack. (No, I can't leave the wife, because she sings ;) ) Really, I was just kidding about needing to buy a car just for the keyboard. In reality the car is nearing it's end anyway(1994 Protege). :(

Yep - wheels above the keyboard would be much nicer. I am just in awe over the sound though. And it seems just as "playable" as the Electro, in it's own way. I haven't owned a keyboard as nice as this, and haven't upgraded my equipment for awhile, and wow...what an improvement!!

I can definitely see comparisons between the PC1se and the Stage, and see many advantages in the PC1se, even ignoring the price difference.

Have to get to the next preset.

Jim :thu:

So far, I am really having fun playing with some of the synth sounds - really expressive and they just sound so great! I haven't checked any of the other newer romplers out there to compare, and I suppose I am late to the PC1/2 party, but I can't can't stop playing with some lead sounds like "Solar Lead".

Ceasefire and jimtheswede -- thanks very much for the nice reviews!

I would love to hear more about the synth sounds on this guy. When the PC1x first came out, I got all excited about trimming my rig down a bit. But after further thought, I concluded that I probably wouldn't be happy with ROMpler synths (I use an Alesis Micron VA today). So if I'm still hauling three boards, the rig isn't much trimmer.

But if I could get reasonable synth leads out of this, I would probably buy one in the next few months. I mainly use synth leads on old-school funk tunes, I don't really use pads or anything else.

As a comparison point, I absolutely loathe the synth patches on my Roland RD-700 -- they sound flat and lifeless to me. OTOH, I LOVE the Micron -- very analog like.

Thoughts, anyone?

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Do we smell GAS in the air????

Actually, I can get the board/w bag in the car lengthwise with the back seat down, but that doesn't leave much room for my amp, stands, the wife and her gear. I'll just have to find a different way to pack. (No, I can't leave the wife, because she sings ;) ) Really, I was just kidding about needing to buy a car just for the keyboard. In reality the car is nearing it's end anyway(1994 Protege). :(

Yep - wheels above the keyboard would be much nicer. I am just in awe over the sound though. And it seems just as "playable" as the Electro, in it's own way. I haven't owned a keyboard as nice as this, and haven't upgraded my equipment for awhile, and wow...what an improvement!!

I can definitely see comparisons between the PC1se and the Stage, and see many advantages in the PC1se, even ignoring the price difference.

Have to get to the next preset.

Yes, GAS is certainly in the air! I get like this every year, coming off of the down time from the holidays when I reflected on things I might want to have, in addition to the NAMM teasers. Not to mention, I've had the same basic rig now for a WHOLE THREE YEARS! :eek: I think it might be getting time for me to have an Eric Moment.

High on my GAS list are the S90ES, PC1se, new Yamaha XS and probably this new Nord doo-hickey.

Those photos of the PC1se are quite sexy. I'm just not sure if I would notice much of an improvement between it and my S90 Classic? Anyone ever compared Kurzweil PC to Yamaha S90? I guess I could always resort to searching the forum. :D

Regards,

Eric

glad you like the photos .. i tried to take a bunch of 'em in the areas I would want to see greater detail of ..

jimtheswede! that's amazing that we have the same rig now hah .. very cool, i'm pretty convinced i can't go wrong with this rig, i'm pretty sure the band i'm in now, and any band i'll have in the future, could ask me to play just about any kind of sound and I'd have it at my disposal between these two boards .. not to mention have it sound amazing :D Some of the EP sounds in this thing are just unbelievable

in fact, ima go play with it now hah

well billdar .. that's a great question .. and one i'll have to spend some time with .. what i'm thinking is going to happen is that i'll end up using the PC1se cause i'll want to have the organ patched up and ready to go at a seconds beckoning .. plus the PC1se is has got so so so so many of them and they all sound so great .. but i don't have a power strip at the moment so .. i can only have one plugged in at a time with the sumo amp .. getting one today heh .. then i'll compare and contrast .. the electro's EP and wurly/clavs are amazing and it will take some time comparing them both .. i think it's going to depend alot on the songs we play tho .. which makes more sense as far as sounds needed per song, and easy accessibility to them .. like i said, i like to have the organ right there waiting for me and the electro's rotary engine is just out of this world .. so it'll be getting that primary duty. for real piano heavy tunes that need a little EP flavor here and there, i'll probably use the electro for those, but again this PC1se is nuts .. i can assign 1 zone to my main piano with another zone to a EP piano with a hint of distortion to play at velocity levels 0-80, with the piano patch from 81-127 and have it ready for access at a moments unmuting of that zone .. this will come in handy SO much .. my previous rig was a little more complicated to do this .. with this new rig, it's all SUPER easy and fast

i'm in heaven hah ... and i'm poor now too :)

I've been using the PC1se and Electro 61 in my live rig. I've had the Kurz for about 3 months now and I really like the size and feel. It saves some room from my 700SX on stage. The sounds in the Roland IMO were better, but for live applications in the clubs it is fine. I have found the Rock Piano cuts better than the others in a four piece band. The brass is not near as good as the 700sx..and I'm thinking of putting my Motif ES rack in to beef things up...however....it is still sitting in my studio. Overall I'm happy with the PC1se....it was intended for live use...and that is it's forte. I wish the zone switches were a little more responsive...on my board they don't latch on the fly like I would like...sometimes takes a few pushes to engage or disengage...but again...minor.

Wow guys, thanks for all the great input. busch, thanks for having my back on the CC stuff - it seems I can never be on the forum as much as I need to be... Anyway, I'm glad you guys got your boards - I haven't played on mine yet - it's still in storage (I have no room in the studio at the moment).

Anyway, have much fun with them, and shoot me a direct email if you have more questions! sales@kurzweilmusicsystems.com

Have a great weekend playing everyone!

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

Oh, and Ceasefire, what's up with the NO POWER STRIP?!? Are you a real keyboard player or what? :D

ivorycj

Live Rig: Kurzweil Forte 7 driving MacBook Pro M1Max w/64GB RAM | Korg Kronos 2 73 | Roland RD-64

Studio Rig: Yamaha CP88 driving same MBP | Roland D-70 | Synth Spa Roland Juno-106 | Yamaha DX7IIFD

The supplied soft case (which is very nice BTW) adds an extra 4 -5 inches. There is some padding on the right side (bottom if you're rolling it) and then the wheels. If you went with a simple soft case that fit the PC1se like a glove, you might save 4 inches or so.

Busch.

Yes, I am very impressed with the gig bag as well. Very nice, well made, and very essential for my uses. I'll find some way to fit it and everything else in the car.

I had planned to play the Electro EPs using the Kurz board, but now after hearing the PC1se EPs, that may change. There are some really funky sounding EPs in the Kurz! The Nord's duties may be left mostly for organs and Clavs, and playing brass parts. So far, I think I prefer the Clav. sounds in the Nord - but it is still early in my exploration.

Cydonia, I don't think the Panic Button is working! I press it numerous times and am still feeling way too excited! :D

Need to get back to the next preset......

Originally posted by keysplease:

I don't know how much of a benefit... 5.5 to 10 inches would be...

I...

M U S T N O T C O M M E N T...

M U S T N O T C O M M E N T...

M U S T N O T C O M M E N T... :rolleyes:

:D:P

Is There Gas in the Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Cydonia, I don't think the Panic Button is working! I press it numerous times and am still feeling way too excited! :D

It's supposed to send an electronic derivate of antiadrenalin/endomorphin through your finger and body. Maybe yours doesn't work. :)

Archived