Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Kurzweil PC1se has arrived!

Ceasefire

well to get the thread back on the original topic:

My PC1se showed up today, it was nice to see it was well packed in the factory box for shipping, lots of Styrofoam and extra space. The box was huge!

I think I've previewed all the presets and setups, now I'm starting to copy programs I like into the User Bank and I created two setups to control my electro, One to play the EPs and one to play the lower manual. It took me longer to find my midi cables than it did to do all the programing. Pretty easy and intuitive interface.

I was very impressed by the wurly and rhodes sounds on the PC1, they seemed to have more on the bottom (thwump) and top (tiney sounds)than the electro. However I'm a fan of the electro's interface for effects, so there will be plenty of times I will continue to use the Electro's EP section. (only now with the PC1)

Most of the Grand Pianos sound fantastic, I imagine I'll have some tweaking to do when I play this in the band context to find one that sits in the mix and cuts through where i need it to.

I was hoping to find a pad that hit me right away for some general purpose blankets of sound, some were close but nothing in preset world grabbed me. (There was one setup pad that had some crazy stuff going on with the sustain pedal though...wow) So I do have some programming ahead of me.

So with just a few hours of playing this board has already exceed my expectations as a weighted controller for the electro and a piano-machine. Some more in-depth programming and I should have all my bases covered for gigging and I can see programming setups for myself being entertaining for playing alone at home too.

I'm very excited about having a second board of piano sounds that I can layer under the electro, finally having a second manual for the organ is nice as well!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently using an S90 and Nord Electro 61 and have been intrigued with the idea of getting a lighter-weight, more compact set-up. A weighted 76 key board like the PC1se sounded really promising and I would lose 5 inches of length, but only 5 lbs of weight (plus gaining a wall wart). I need primarily piano, EPs and B3, but occasionally have to have horns, strings, acoustic guitars, etc.

I am a piano player who has gotten some decent organ chops over the last few years, but I don't know anything about synthesis or using modules. I would love to get something like the Nord Stage 76 and carry only one board, but it doesn't produce the rompler sounds I occasionally need or can the synth section get what I need? How does a module connect to a controller and how is it, well, controlled? Any other suggestions? I'm really happy with the sounds I have, but am looking to economize on space and weight while keeping things as simple to use as possible.

I was going to go check out the PC1se, but haven't found any retailers who are stocking Kurzweil. Lots of dealers who would be happy to order one for me, but nowhere to sit down and try it out.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I am currently using an S90 and Nord Electro 61 and have been intrigued with the idea of getting a lighter-weight, more compact set-up. A weighted 76 key board like the PC1se sounded really promising and I would lose 5 inches of length, but only 5 lbs of weight (plus gaining a wall wart). I need primarily piano, EPs and B3, but occasionally have to have horns, strings, acoustic guitars, etc.

I am a piano player who has gotten some decent organ chops over the last few years, but I don't know anything about synthesis or using modules. I would love to get something like the Nord Stage 76 and carry only one board, but it doesn't produce the rompler sounds I occasionally need or can the synth section get what I need? How does a module connect to a controller and how is it, well, controlled? Any other suggestions? I'm really happy with the sounds I have, but am looking to economize on space and weight while keeping things as simple to use as possible.

I was going to go check out the PC1se, but haven't found any retailers who are stocking Kurzweil. Lots of dealers who would be happy to order one for me, but nowhere to sit down and try it out.

I have the same rig as you and have been down the same path in terms of trying to figure out how it could be more compact. The Kurzweil is enticing, but you really are not saving much in size, weight or hassle considering the trade-off of an octave of keys. Not to mention the non-trivial task of reprogramming the thing to replace an S90. Not worth it to me.

I honestly don't know how you can get much better than an S90 + Electro for a versatile live rig. I find that the S90 is a bottomless pit of sounds and always dig up something new when I go looking. Adding PLG boards makes it even better. There really are not many other options that would improve upon the sound, controller functions, keyboard action, overall quality, etc.

Regards,

Eric

Yeah, I guess a shorter, lighter version of the S90 would be ideal (although I hate the pain-in-the-a** programming of the Yamaha). I wish the S90 was simple to use on-the-fly with splits and layers (like the Nord Stage sounds like it is), otherwise I think it would be difficult to get by with only one KB.

I guess if I were starting from scratch, I would look at a Nord Stage 76 (only 36 lbs and 45' long) plus something like a Yamaha S03 when I need the other voices.

Hmm...

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Yeah, I guess a shorter, lighter version of the S90 would be ideal (although I hate the pain-in-the-a** programming of the Yamaha). I wish the S90 was simple to use on-the-fly with splits and layers (like the Nord Stage sounds like it is), otherwise I think it would be difficult to get by with only one KB.

I guess if I were starting from scratch, I would look at a Nord Stage 76 (only 36 lbs and 45' long) plus something like a Yamaha S03 when I need the other voices.

Hmm...

I agree on the shorter/lighter version of S90. I've been heckling Yamaha for a few years to make an S76ES. As for the interface and programming, it does take a little bit of time to get used to it. But once you have a stable of sounds, you can very easily take one and use it as a template for on-the-fly splits and layers. For example, I have a bunch of different split and layered sounds. If I need a new split, I don't start from scratch. I go to one of the layered performances and do a quick edit to change sounds or whatever. It is pretty easy.

For someone brand new to the game looking to go compact and light, I think either the PC1se or the Nord Stage 76/73 would be good starting points. But moving from the S90 to one of these instruments is not so practical.

Misterdregs, the Kurzweils are very easy to use in terms of on-the-fly splits and layers. The PC1/PC2 interface was designed exactly for this. But if you want to go into deep programming, you can as well, using the PC2 Manager software (which is also compatible with the PC1 series). :wave:

For example, I have a bunch of different split and layered sounds. If I need a new split, I don't start from scratch. I go to one of the layered performances and do a quick edit to change sounds or whatever. It is pretty easy.

+1 :thu: I do the same thing with the S80.

That has spoiled and prevented me from adding another board to my set-up.

I'd love to get an Electro but I cannot get past the red and just enjoy playing the d*mn thing.

The PC1SE is great if you dig the Kurzweil sound. I could definitely see using it as a single 76-note board.

The NS 76 and 88 are fantastic except they cost a little less than a Maybach and...they are red too. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

ProfD-

But the Electro is so damned fun to play. I'm sure you could learn to live with the red.

See here:

http://www.clavia.se/main.asp

From the look on his face, Stevie obviously doen't mind it all.

OK, sorry, that was really, really un-called for.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

But the Electro is so damned fun to play. I'm sure you could learn to live with the red.

From the look on his face, Stevie obviously doen't mind it all.

OK, sorry, that was really, really un-called for.

I agree it is fun to play and I will end up getting one sooner or later. Just hope there is a 12 step program. :)

That was funny. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

For someone brand new to the game looking to go compact and light, I think either the PC1se or the Nord Stage 76/73 would be good starting points. But moving from the S90 to one of these instruments is not so practical.

So... if some hypothetical guy, who upon selling some collectible wine that he bought a long time ago and would derive more pleasure from buying a Nord Stage 76 than he would from drinking such ridiculously expensive wine, and knowing he could easily sell his NE 61 and his old friend and bandmate from years ago is looking for an S90... would this purely hypothetical fellow want to get the aforementioned keyboard rig (NS 76 + Yamaha S03 or something comparable), because he could take just the NS 76 to most of his gigs, thus saving his tenuously healthy back (he doesn't want to give up gigging or playing golf) and live happily ever after?

That, sir... is my question?

Also, any Nord Stage users out there: Are you willing to play a solo jazz piano gig with the acoustic pianos on the Stage?

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Actually, I have my Stage 88 set up in the living room. I am on a MISSION to re-program it so that I will WANT to use it for gigs. For reasons many of you know, there is something which makes me not reach for it (and instead I go with a CP33 + Electro, or CX3, or XK3 - depending on the hit). I don't even love the CP33 that much. The Stage sounds superior through headphones, but I can't make it come to life through a KB amp.

I guess this is a long way of saying - enjoy your Kurzweil! Maybe, for some of us, the heart of a bottom keyboard must always be a stellar, sexy, and eminently playable piano....

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

New Stage 76 owner here who was seriously considering the pc1se. I ended up saving up for a stage because of several factors. The Stage seems more editable, it is lighter,the action is better, and it has more organs. I have played an electro for around 4 years now and it has some great sounds and some ok sounds. The stage sounds much MUCH better and the sounds can be tweaked to perfection. Some people complain about the pianos, but it's almost impossible (in my experience) to digitally get a truly authentic sounding piano in a live gigging situation. I think it has more to do with amplification rather than the samples.

Anyways... I would do a solo jazz gig with the piano, but I would probably prefer a Rhodes sound personally.

But the pc1se is my favorite in its price range.

Cydonia,

Which Kurzweil 88 keyboard do you recommend right now. Also, what are your thoughts in regard to the new PC3 and the new the Stage Piano coming out in a few months as far as comparing them to Kurzweil's current offerings! Just curious!

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

New Stage 76 owner here who was seriously considering the pc1se. I ended up saving up for a stage because of several factors. The Stage seems more editable, it is lighter,the action is better, and it has more organs. I have played an electro for around 4 years now and it has some great sounds and some ok sounds. The stage sounds much MUCH better and the sounds can be tweaked to perfection. Some people complain about the pianos, but it's almost impossible (in my experience) to digitally get a truly authentic sounding piano in a live gigging situation. I think it has more to do with amplification rather than the samples.

Anyways... I would do a solo jazz gig with the piano, but I would probably prefer a Rhodes sound personally.

But the pc1se is my favorite in its price range.

Thanks for the reply. How do you like playing the organs on the Stage 76 keybed, especially after having the Electro? I love my Electro for organ and don't mind it for pianos. I love the feel of the S90 for piano and hate it for organs.

I know it's probably considered heresy on this forum, but I am considering the Stage Compact for my primary board, unless the Stage 76 action would be light enough for decent organ playing, i.e. much more usable than the S90.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Well, I spent a good part of the afternoon playing jazz standards out of the Real Book, going between the NE 61 and the Schimmel piano, since that's what I play at home and I do some solo jazz playing.

On the Electro, I found that my technique didn't suffer (albeit over the long run, I'm sure I would lose some power going back to a stiffer-actioned acoustic piano, like my friend's Petrof), and I'm actually forced to be more precise with the light action, because slightly missed notes tend to "sound" on the Electro where on a piano action I would slide to the note I was aiming at.

At the Schimmel, I parked a couple of fat marking pens at the limits of the Nord Stage Compact. It's safe to say that 99% of the time or more, I didn't need any notes outside the 73 note range.

Am I trying to talk myself into the Stage 73? Probably. It's you guy's job to shoot holes in my argument. I'm definitely of the old 88 weighted keys nothing-else-will-do-for-piano school, but I am rethinking my assumptions and biases.

Of course, I might hang on to the S90 because it's not worth that much for resale and I do love playing it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I honestly don't know how you can get much better than an S90 + Electro for a versatile live rig.

I see what you mean -- I've got an S90 (with the vocal harmony board installed) on the bottom, a Roland V-760 (with the Ultimate Keys epxansion) on top, so I've got about anything I could ever want for the gigs I'm doing.

It would be nice to reduce some weight and size, but truth be told, saving a few lbs or inches doesn't mean that much in the grand scheme of all the gear I carry.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Am I trying to talk myself into the Stage 73? Probably.

Of course, I might hang on to the S90 because it's not worth that much for resale and I do love playing it.

Yes, rationalizing your way into a purchase is a phenomenon covered in the 1st chapter of the GAS manual. ;)

The NE61/S90 is a killer combo as mentioned already and personally, I would stick with it.

OTOH, if you truly want to lighten your load, the Nord Stage will do. It would not be a huge leap since you have become one with the red color. :)

Heresy in a PC1se thread but the Stage is a better electromechanical sim IMO. It is the all-in-one solution. Decisions! :cool:

PD

Yeah, I guess the thread did get hijacked, although the initial discussion about everyone's new Kurz had pretty much played itself out.

Decisions indeed.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Well, I spent a good part of the afternoon playing jazz standards out of the Real Book, going between the NE 61 and the Schimmel piano, since that's what I play at home and I do some solo jazz playing.

On the Electro, I found that my technique didn't suffer (albeit over the long run, I'm sure I would lose some power going back to a stiffer-actioned acoustic piano, like my friend's Petrof), and I'm actually forced to be more precise with the light action, because slightly missed notes tend to "sound" on the Electro where on a piano action I would slide to the note I was aiming at.

At the Schimmel, I parked a couple of fat marking pens at the limits of the Nord Stage Compact. It's safe to say that 99% of the time or more, I didn't need any notes outside the 73 note range.

Am I trying to talk myself into the Stage 73? Probably. It's you guy's job to shoot holes in my argument. I'm definitely of the old 88 weighted keys nothing-else-will-do-for-piano school, but I am rethinking my assumptions and biases.

Stick with what ya got. It is a great rig. Too much money to jump to the Stage Compact. I bought one and used it for 2 months as an Electro replacement and it did not justify itself in my rig in terms of what it gave me in exchange for the high $$ spent to upgrade. I honestly am more at home with the Electro and while the Stage Compact had a lot more flexibility, I don't really need all that when I am gigging with the S90 below it. As for using *just* a Stage Compact, I don't recommend it unless you are very well acclimated to the challenge of making it all happen with one keyboard. I am a big fan of the immediacy of having an S90 there for pianos, synths, strings, etc. and always the Electro waits to take part in a funky clav or greasy organ part. No need to piddle around with patch changes or heavily layered and split setups like you would need if you tried just to use the one keyboard.

Since the S90 is such a nice keyboard action packed with great sounds and the Electro is the icing you need in a second keyboard, I would say back away from dropping the heavy chunk of change needed for the Stage Compact. Hang tight for awhile and get the most from your rig! I keep trying things out all the time and coming back to the S90 + Electro makes my day. I still need some way to quench the GAS, but trying to be a little more restrained and just maximize the mileage from my S90 + Electro. That rig has paid for itself many times.

Regards,

Eric

Archived