Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

repair electric piano - keys click

fishhed

Hi,

I just got a Yamaha electric with wieghted keys but they click when played (the ones in the middle of the kb anyway). Does that mean I need to change the felt? Where do I find out how?

Thanks in advance.

Fishhed

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Fishhed and welcome to the Keyboard Corner.

My friend Blueskeys was at home yesterday repairing his Roland RD-700. It has the same problem. Perhaps he'll read this and give us some details of what was involved.

Many keyboards with weighted actions seem to develop this problem, although some seem less prone than others. Many of the keyboards use an action made by Fatar. This is the first time I've heard of a Yamaha keyboard with this problem.

Nevertheless, the weights have probably fallen off the keys. You'll need to take this to a shop and have them do the work unless you feel comfortable finding the parts and doing it yourself.

Good luck.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks, maybe a few more symptoms details are helpful.

The keys still feel wieghted, just a click when it travels to the bottom of the travel zone as if there is no padding. They bounce back to level fine.

That is why I wonder if the felt is compacted too much.

Dont know if felt is used on electrics but understand it is an important part of acoustics and this one has a similar feel...

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Hi Fishhed and welcome to the Keyboard Corner.

My friend Blueskeys was at home yesterday repairing his Roland RD-700. It has the same problem. Perhaps he'll read this and give us some details of what was involved.

Many keyboards with weighted actions seem to develop this problem, although some seem less prone than others. Many of the keyboards use an action made by Fatar. This is the first time I've heard of a Yamaha keyboard with this problem.

Nevertheless, the weights have probably fallen off the keys. You'll need to take this to a shop and have them do the work unless you feel comfortable finding the parts and doing it yourself.

Good luck.

Tom

Well, Tom is half right, or some would say halffast. :D Love you Gas

I was repairing the chassis in my Roland RD700. The keys sit on a plastic frame that breaks. It comes in sections and you have to take nearly every screw out of this keyboard to do the repair. It was my second trip inside so it was much easier this time. What I had was keys loose/flopping around with nothing to anchor them.

I have an Ensonic that has what you describe. It is the weights flopping around. I have replaced that entire keybed twice in 14 years. I have not been in to see what the remedy would be for this but my friend Learjeff has and may be able to give you a quick fix solution.

My suggestion if you are handy, open her up and see. It might just take a little JB Weld or Gorrilla glue to fix it.

BTW welcome to our little internet real estate.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Originally posted by fishhed:

Thanks, maybe a few more symptoms details are helpful.

The keys still feel wieghted, just a click when it travels to the bottom of the travel zone as if there is no padding. They bounce back to level fine.

That is why I wonder if the felt is compacted too much.

Dont know if felt is used on electrics but understand it is an important part of acoustics and this one has a similar feel...

Often times they use a rubber stop on top of a metal frame. Those rubber stops will finally give way to the stress and then it is plastic hitting metal. Could be an easy fix.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

I had black keys clicking in my Yamaha P250 because the felt strip that stops the key travel had become compressed or compacted. Ruffled it up with a needle and the clicking stopped for a few days. Then it came back when the felt soon became compacted again.

I have numerous black keys clicking in my Kawai ES4 and its probably due to the lubrication grease on the pins slipping down.

Find 750 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

I would guess the PF15 is 20 years old or so. I bought a PF12, a 76 weighted key version of the PF15, in Japan sometime in the early 1980's if my failing memory is reasonably correct.

As I recall the PF series, the PF10, PF12 and PF15, were pre midi. I played many weddings with that keyboard but if I were you, I'd try and sell it and buy something a bit more up to date. (The PF12 was not marketed in the US. The PF10 was an 76 unweighted version of the PF15.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by fishhed:

I got this on Craig's list and estimate its at least 10 years old...good idea though

It doesn't sound at all like your problem is related to the problem with some of the Yamaha actions (sticking keys, not clacking keys) -- but if it were, they'd still replace your action gratis.

Appreciate the advice given by others -- I've never had this problem myself, but it's good to know how to deal with it in the future.

Archived