Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP300

Dave Horne

Well, I finally have my grubby hands on the piano I bought months ago. It's too soon for me to write a review but it seems that Yamaha corrected a major fault, at least as far as I'm concerned, in the operating software. If I change the reverb settings, for example, of the GrandPiano1 and 'do' a split, my changed settings are carried over ... as they should (and not default to the original factory settings).

Layers ... ? I'll report back.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave, thanks for the bump. I really wish I had the P250 so I could do an A\B comparison.

Some of the same OS flaws (from my perspective) have been carried over to the CP300.

For those who do not need the master controller features of the CP300, the P250 will do a great job.

I sold my P250 for several reasons - I got a good price for it and I also got a good price for the CP300. I will sell this CP300 in three years when its replacement comes out.

I wrote about layers in the CP300. If you layer two sounds, the CP300 will revert to the original default effects of the voices that you so lovingly tweaked. That annoys me, but Yamaha has still not called me for my opinion ... go figure.

The piano sample is not perfect but it is better than the P250's. I will add that I was happy with the P250's piano sound even with its flaws. On jobs the little flaws that are heard through headphones, those buzzy notes, for example, (which also exist on a real grand piano) are not heard - they are masked or buried in the noise of the rest of the band. (We've gotten pretty spoiled in the last few years - let's keep that in the back of our minds.)

I wish Yamaha would drop the speakers since a stage piano does not need built in speakers. I'll use the CP300 until it is replaced in three year's time. Again, I only traded up because it was a good deal.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I will sell this CP300 in three years when its replacement comes out.I'll use the CP300 until it is replaced in three year's time. Again, I only traded up because it was a good deal.

Sounds like your initial impression of the CP300 is that you got a shiny, new P250 with a bigger sample set.

Well, at least you got a good deal on the CP300 and did not lose anything in upgrading from the P250...except the music stand. ;)

IMO, the speakers on a stage piano come in handy for practice; solo piano and other gigs in small, intimate settings.

What kept you away from the S90/S90ES?

In the meantime, you have 3 years or so to dig into the CP300 before the Yamaha life cycle management program rolls around. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

ProfD, I made the error of starting a second thread re the CP300. Sorry 'bout that.

Re the S90\ES, I didn't spend much time with that model but assumed it was more aimed at the synth market. All I really need is a few keyboard sounds - acoustic, Rhodes and a few B3 sounds.

Instead of prolonging this thread, I'll suggest we move to the other thread I started re the CP300.

link to .... Yamaha rep? ... questions\problem CP300

Archived