Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

comments on the GEM piano expander

jazzcopy

GEM is out of business so i guess not. I have spoken with Dave in the past when I had a Pro2 but lost his contact info.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My BCR2000 does not have any bubble contacts, nor does the RP-X ;)

You can check you OS version by powering off, holding the perf button and powering back on, still holding perf, until it shows some number (1.00 or 1.01)

The old midi driver, OS 1.01, etc. is still available from http://www.generalmusic.us/X-Series_info/

What I find strange about my RP-X is, that it sometimes shows 16 parts, not only 4, when entering the performance edit mode on the device. This alway happens just after a firmware reset. Switching the RP-X off and back on helps.

Also I lately got all my performances replaced by some weird piano patch. Had to do a factory reset and power off/on to make it work again.

Has anyone faced something similar? I'm afraid to have such a glitch on stage, loosing stored performances or something.

I have so far had a very good experience with support. I emailed Dave McMahon regarding getting the new OS and USB driver, and just two hours later I got a response from him with links and complete and clear instructions as to how do install the OS and USB driver, written by none other than Dave himself.

could you please give me Dave's contact info. I don't know if my OS needs upgrading but I need the driver. I don't like Mumbo at all.

Thanks

Hi,

Here is what I have in the way of USB/MIDI drivers from my past employer:

SerialMIDI_Driver

GEM MIDI DRIVER

USB_Serial_Drivers

As to which one to try first, I have no opinion, sorry. I actually used a generic Roland USB/MIDI driver before MUMBO was available. You might want to go that route before installing any of the above.

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Thanks Dave,

If I don't have that Mumbo installed when I hook up the RPX it is recognized as some other device that I have never heard of. so how do I go about getting the roland or these drivers to work with the RPX without it linking to this other wierd driver?

Thanks Dave,

If I don't have that Mumbo installed when I hook up the RPX it is recognized as some other device that I have never heard of. so how do I go about getting the roland or these drivers to work with the RPX without it linking to this other wierd driver?

Why don't you try installing the two drivers that are included in this link; USB_Serial_Drivers. There is a readme file with info on the proper installation.

As for the driver that is being automatically called up at this point, I have no idea what that would be but hopefully once the correct drivers are installed, they should take precedent. May I ask why you don't like the MUMBO application? Just curious.

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Mumbo loads itself on to the quick launch bar and then you can never get it to quit. It's Annoying as hell, I want my driver to reside in device manger and live there quietly. I forget when I did something with RPX or the editor it would pop up like a prairie dog and I had to get it out of the way to continue what I was doing. it also was a PITA to get it to work with Midiox. I rarely have problems setting up USB gear on a PC. Mumbo sucked.

Throbert, why do you use USB at all? For myself, I do not want to mess my laptop with this driver crap.

You have the BCR2000 and could use it as a midi interface - set it to USB Mode 3, connect RPX-Midi-Out to BCR-Midi-In and BCR-Midi-OutA to RPX-Midi-In.

If you want a Masterkeyboard inbetween, connect BCR-Midi-OutA to your Masterkeyboard's Midi-In and the Masterkeyboards' Midi-Out to the RPX-Midi-In. (Provided that the Masterkey is able to merge its Midi-In with its Midi-Out...)

Furthermore, you can program the BCR2000 this way and when you set it to Standard Mode 1..3, use it to program the RPX.

But I have a question, too: has anyone managed to set a different tuning? I imported a scale into PC editor and verified that it is sent to the RPX with the help of MidiOX/Yoke, but the RPX does not seem to use it... I also tried to extremely detune some keys but did not get any difference on the RPX...

And there is another question still unanswered from my previous post:

Has anyone faced glitches on stage like lost performances?

Throbert, why do you use USB at all? For myself, I do not want to mess my laptop with this driver crap....

But I have a question, too: has anyone managed to set a different tuning? I imported a scale into PC editor and verified that it is sent to the RPX with the help of MidiOX/Yoke, but the RPX does not seem to use it... I also tried to extremely detune some keys but did not get any difference on the RPX...

And there is another question still unanswered from my previous post:

Has anyone faced glitches on stage like lost performances?

Good point about using MIDI instead of USB, if you already have a MIDI interface sitting there why not use it and save the hassle of installing any more drivers at all?

Regarding the problems you are having:

When you make changes to the scale temperament, do you hear the changes in real time when playing the RP-X? Have you tried editing temperament directly from the RP-X Editor?

As for the glitches you mentioned, sometimes seeing 16 parts instead of 4, and lost performances:

I've never had an issue with loosing presets or heard of this before.

The 16 part thing is kind of interesting. The mainboard used in the RP-X is the same as what is in the GM-X. The GM-X is a 16 part multi-timbral sound module. It almost sounds like the software is a bit scrambled between the RP-X and GM-X operating systems. Not sure how that could be possible but still. I am pretty sure that I read that you have re-installed the O/S but maybe you should try that one more time doing a complete O/S upload, referred to in the updating software as "First Programming". NOTE: This procedure requires moving a jumper located on the mainboard during the upload. Keep in mind that this wipes everything from the DRAKE processor and reloads the O/S and reference samples. If you want to attempt this and need help or guidance, just ask.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply!

First of all: the unit is new black unit (not silver). I did not do any OS upgrade yet. v1.01 was factory installed. All I did was looking into the casing as I wanted to know what build quality is like. I saw stickers on the PCB saying "28.05.08" and "OS 1.01", so I didn't attempt any update.

Now, for the 16 part bug - there is at least another RP-X user (in a German forum), who faced it, but unfortunately he sold his RP-X allready.

The way to reproduce it is: do factory reset, exit the special menu with perf button and press edit button. Now, any part from 1..16 can be selected. Then, if you power it off and on again, the bug is gone.

Regarding scales - I did not use the BCR to tune it, PC editor only, and no - I do not hear any realtime changes - neither when importing a scale like meantone (which really should make a difference) nor when detuning single keys. I also tried it after a factory reset (and power off/on of course). Only when moving the master tuning slider, I will hear a difference.

Also, when doing realtime changes with PC editor it sometimes makes the RP-X produce sound, like there are too many SysEx messages at a time, creating some buffer overflow inside of the RP-X, which translates into Note-On-Messages, don't know.

Hi Dave, thanks for your reply!

First of all: the unit is new black unit (not silver). I did not do any OS upgrade yet. v1.01 was factory installed. All I did was looking into the casing as I wanted to know what build quality is like. I saw stickers on the PCB saying "28.05.08" and "OS 1.01", so I didn't attempt any update.

Now, for the 16 part bug - there is at least another RP-X user (in a German forum), who faced it, but unfortunately he sold his RP-X allready.

The way to reproduce it is: do factory reset, exit the special menu with perf button and press edit button. Now, any part from 1..16 can be selected. Then, if you power it off and on again, the bug is gone.

Regarding scales - I did not use the BCR to tune it, PC editor only, and no - I do not hear any realtime changes - neither when importing a scale like meantone (which really should make a difference) nor when detuning single keys. I also tried it after a factory reset (and power off/on of course). Only when moving the master tuning slider, I will hear a difference.

Also, when doing realtime changes with PC editor it sometimes makes the RP-X produce sound, like there are too many SysEx messages at a time, creating some buffer overflow inside of the RP-X, which translates into Note-On-Messages, don't know.

No problem. The only difference in the silver and black case is pigment; the insides are the same.

Thanks for instructions on duplicating the 1..16 issue, I'll try to have a look tonight. And I'll also check into the temperament issue and let you know.

I have never experienced anything like you described in your last sentence when editing via the RP-X Editor but I'll try to make a lot of fast changes and see what happens.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

guess who's playing a Promega with Eric Clapton on Jay Leno

Allright, changing the tuning of the RP-X still does not work, but at least I found the reason for the random sound when doing parameter changes and playing the masterkey simultaneously: the masterkey's midi merge buffer seems to be too small to handle the input data stream from the PC editor. So I changed the midi chain from

masterkey-out -> rpx-in, rpx-out -> pc-interface-in, pc-interface-out-> masterkey-in

to

masterkey-out -> pc-interface-in, pc-interface-out-> rpx-in,

rpx-out -> masterkey-in

...and it seems to work.

But nonetheless, there still is the 16-part-bug and I cannot change temperaments.

Dave: you suggested going the "First Programming" track. I did that with my Promega several times and know about the UART-Jumper inside of the RP-X, so I think it shouldn't troube me much.

But before I try that, I'm looking for someone to verify that this 16-part-bug does not exist on his RP-X with v1.01.

Allright, changing the tuning of the RP-X still does not work,...

But nonetheless, there still is the 16-part-bug and I cannot change temperaments.

Dave: you suggested going the "First Programming" track. I did that with my Promega several times and know about the UART-Jumper inside of the RP-X, so I think it shouldn't troube me much.

But before I try that, I'm looking for someone to verify that this 16-part-bug does not exist on his RP-X with v1.01.

OK, I think you are missing one step in order to make the custom scale work. "Sorry I didn't think of this last night". You have to turn ON Custom Scale in the Part section for each part that you want to have respond to the custom scale. Click the Part# to the left of each sound name field and the place a check mark in the Custom Scale box within the part section window.

http://www.learnmykeyboard.com/Customer_data/custom_scale_sm.jpg

As for the 1..16 thing, I see what you mean. Luckily it is nothing that causes a problem since this isn't something you will do at a gig. Translation= it is something that will never be changed. ;) In other words, after doing a reset, cycle the power and problem solved.

I see no reason to perform a full O/S re-install at this point so you should be good to go.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

That's it! :thu: Thank you very much for your help! What a relieve :D

Just tell me if you need any help setting up the BCR for the RP-X!!

I do not have any hope that there will ever by an OS update for the RP-X :whistle: But at least they still manage to produce and distribute it.

But the unit seems usable and I'll definitely keep it. Can't wait to get home in 2 weeks and plug it into my Boss VF1 MultiFX unit and tweak the sound of the Rhodes, Wurlys & Clavs further...

That's it! :thu: Thank you very much for your help! What a relieve :D

Just tell me if you need any help setting up the BCR for the RP-X!!

I do not have any hope that there will ever by an OS update for the RP-X :whistle: But at least they still manage to produce and distribute it.

But the unit seems usable and I'll definitely keep it. Can't wait to get home in 2 weeks and plug it into my Boss VF1 MultiFX unit and tweak the sound of the Rhodes, Wurlys & Clavs further...

Glad to be of assistance.

When I mentioned that I was planning on getting a Behringer unit I was thinking about the MIDI foot controller FCB1010 as opposed to the BCR2000 (which looks very cool as does the BCF2000). But if I ever go for a BCR I'll let you know.

The chances are slim for an RP-X/GM-X update, but you never know, hopefully things will improve on the GEM front. I to think this module is way overlooked. The thought of having this good of an assortment of acoustic piano sounds as well as the electro-acoustic keyboards in a little box for live use is very cool. And the idea of not tying up any processor power for a studio computer running vst's is great as well.

Keep in mind that by using a CC pedal like the M Audio EXP-2 you can control Wah Wah with your foot via the RP-X Editor. Great for clavinet but I also dig it on the Rhodes and Wurlitzer sounds.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Ok, so just for your knowledge: The guy who made the editor for the BCR2000 also made one for the FCB1010 :)http://home.hetnet.nl/~f2hmjvandenberg281/fcb1010.html

AND: there is an unofficial firmware called UnO for the FCB1010: http://www.ossandust.be/

It solves several bugs, but you'll need an EPROM programmer.

Clavinet and Wah - well, I already tried this on the Promega and found the VF1 doing a more authentic job here (it seems to mimick a famous Wah pedal).

Additionally, the VF1 lets me use several FX at a time, control them in real time and it has AMP modeling. I found it to greatly improve the vintage section of my Promega.

For both - the Promega and the RP-X, foot-controlled Wah doesn't sound as smooth as with the VF1, one can hear switching noise between the CC values. But I guess this won't be much of a problem in a band context, especially when playing staccato riffs.

And the RP-X Auto-Wah is quiet usable. :)

Side note: When I tried the Wah of the RP-X recently, I really was shocked a bit about how the physically modelled clavs sounded!!!

They were producing strange noise - I don't know how to describe it - sounds like the strings of the clav ringing against some metal thing...

Find a sample here: http://rapidshare.com/files/282103807/strangeclavnoise.mp3.html

The solution came today - I found that I accidently left the MOD Wheel of the masterkay at a small value and this turned out to be the cause! With MOD set to zero, the noise is gone... Must be a bug in the physical model.

But I totally agree with you, Dave - the RP-X is really underestimated - as is the Promega 3 :D I don't know of any hardware unit have a better piano sound (despite V-Piano) and the electric pianos are great as well.

• 1 month later...

I´d like to hear a soundclip or two from the GEM RP-X Wurlitzer and Rhodes patches but where to find them? Youtube has only a bunch of piano/grand piano/DX-7 like clips.

Any info?

"This is my rig, and if you don´t like it....well, I have others!"

"Think positive...there's always something to complain about!"

Now that this thread is up, I'd like to ask a few questions.

First off, my unit seems to behave strangely. When I first used it, it sounded magnificent - then I went to sleep, and the next day the pianos sounded flat, tinny and low on mid frequencies. I tried a factory restore, and suddenly all notes were played on max velocity! The latter went away, but I've still got sound issues. And when pressing the edit button to access different functions, the unit simply skips velocity! Aaargh!

Secondly, my unit came with a CD with software 1.00. What does 1.01 do, and where can I find it? Also, is the software WYSIWYG, like altering a parameter you'll instantly hear a difference, or will you have to back and forth?

Lastly, and please be gently with me, as I am nothing short of a software mooron, I can't make the RPX and the software editor work together. I don't know if Mumbo is the problem, but even though I've got Mumbo installed, my computer won't recognize the unit, and furthermore that has gotten me into some serious worrying about how to edit the unit.

I've heard about people recieving non-functioning RPX's. Should this go back to the retailer, or will things work out? I was quite keen on the sound at first, especially considering that it can be edited, but even though I can tell that its sound is much more detailed than my Nord, my RPX sounds straight out terrible right now, especially the Fazioli.

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Hi Nillerbabs,

If you send me an e-mail, I'll send you a document containing links and instructions for downloading and installing O/S 1.01 for the RP-X. This update will make the RP-X more stable and you shouldn't have any more problems.

As for MUMBO, let me ask you a question; do you have a MIDI interface for your PC? If so, I would scratch using MUMBO and the USB jack and use the MIDI IN/OUT connectors instead. MIDI OUT of your controller to MIDI IN of the PC, then MIDI OUT of the PC to MIDI IN of the RP-X. Be sure to activate MIDI Echo in the RP-X Editor. The changes you make in the editor will be sent to the module in real time. However you do need to store the edited sound directly on the module.

NOTE: MUMBO works just fine but it can be a real pain trying to get it set up properly so this is why I suggest using MIDI.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Archived