Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Love In Vain

Legatoboy

Hey All,

"Love in Vain" - Kerry Kearney Band - me on keys.....Live studio recording of my old band in fromt of about 40 quests at Echo Studios - Deer Park LI NY. From the album "A Night in the Tropics - KKB"

Hope this works it's the first upload on Esnips

Gear used: Yamaha P-250

Hammond XK-3

Leslie 145 w/Speakeasy Classic

2 EV Sx200's

Crown Power base 1

Roland ME-120 mixer

Samson Dual 15 Band WQ

BBE 362

My Ears, Hands, Heart

The organ balance is alittle uneven but it was a live studio recording, so! I doubled everything you hear in one shot! In my other life I study and play Be-Bebop! This was my old band that I had to leave because of marital concerns..... kills me! 2+ months now! It was pretty crankin'!

well enjoy! Tommorow I'll add some more tracks!

Love in Vain and other tunes:

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please post your music videos or MP3 links in the top sticky thread named :

Let's hear it!!! Post your music here!

Otherwise the forum will end up with hundreds of different threads for this same purpose. You actually have more chances to be heard/watched there.

linwood,

Pupi Campo, no....... Haven't been asked that one before but it makes sense. Here in the norhteast I sometimes get been asked if I was related to John Campo (my dads first name also), the famous french Canadian horse trainer who passed away last year.

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Dementedchord,(I know I'm not suppossed to do this),

I did put this on the "Your Music" thread after Cydonia mentioned I shouldn't do this, but I added alot more tracks and what's done is done,so! The link below will take you to my update Esnips page with more tracks.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

contd.

Various tunes with The Kerry Kearney Band - me on keys.....Live/Studio recordings of my old band from "A Night in the Tropics" all other tunes are... "Secrets from the Psychhedelta" CD (with Michael Falzrano ( of Hot Tuna fame - "Planet Blues" his words/my music) And "Trippin on Psychedelta" CD with Amy Helm (Levon's daughter on Bkg. vocals on - "These Blues" , "Build Me a Road")...

Really just a good rocking Blues/Roots band that was bred in the bone from live gigging, fly by the seat of your pants mantra -we never practiced, just gigged! Just Good Fun!

Pretty much the same gear on "Secrets from the Pshychedelta CD"(studio) as the "Tropics Live/Studio CD",(live studio) on the "Trippin On Psychedelta CD"(studio) - (Roland RD-700(non sx- with 1st SX piano card not the new one -Piano/Accordian), Korg CX-3, MS KBR-3D, Speakeasy Classic Pre.,)

The Kerry Kearney Band w/me on keys - all live material was doubled in real time (no overdubs)

enjoy All,

Merry Xmas Brothers and Sisters!

Tony

linwood,

The closet I got to Pupi Campo was eating in Tito Puente's seafood resturant in City Island, NY...

lb

Floyd,

The other half of my body is a pianist in the be-bop/improv. tradition. Hopefully I can get some of that online soon also. The KKB band and my electric blues foree's, though I love it, I consider it to be the 'kid' in me! The Fast Food of my musical life.

The more mature/gourmet side is involved in my be-bop & piano studies. Hopefully as I enter middleagedome I can find my way. I have been studying be-bop for a long long time now! I'm headed in that direction,so!

lb

Originally posted by Legatoboy:

The KKB band and my electric blues foree's, though I love it, I consider it to be the 'kid' in me! The Fast Food of my musical life.

The more mature/gourmet side is involved in my be-bop & piano studies.

lb [/QB]

not a damn thing wrong with a great burger(that alittle statins cant fix) no need to denegrate this dude... i listened to the lot and the thing i keep coming back to is it's appropriate to the genre... :wave::wave::wave:
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Delirium,

Thank you man, I worked hard for years to develop a sound for that band. I just stopped gigging with them 2 months ago, a shame really!

lb :wave:

Delirium,

Kerry (The Kerry Kearney Band), was Marty Balin's (Jefferson Airplane's founder) lead guitarist for 5 years back in the late 80's & early 90's in Marty's solo band . I got to meet and play with alot of cool people through the KKB. We toured with the Allmans and they had toured extinsively before my entry with the Dicky Betts Band on the road for a few big California tours. We were/are LI/Brooklyn-NY based. I'm still in the band on a dotted line status right now! Kerry has alot of cool stories, like finding Nicky Hopkins face down in the road in an unusual San Francisco snowfall outside a recording studio in Marin county. Literally 'faced' and out 'cold'. He and his friend might of saved his life that morning! The next day. Nicky went to record some famous session in LA. Kerry's meeting w/Gerry Garcia.... Grace Slick/Paul Kantner's personalities. Etc etc. Kerry played a few Airplane tours also as lead guitarist.

KKB is a cool band, musically and personally. The bass player was a roady for Cactus back in the 70's. Partied harty with Led Zepplin and Robert Plant etc.....and is a cousin by marriage to Carmin Appice, the famous rock drummer.

That's a female drummer, believe it or not. Eileen Murphy. An ex Paratrooper in Desert Storm and a hard core drummer.....

An interesting bunch of diverse personalities!

I do miss it! The road changes!

I have the other side of me, my studies and be-bop and Larry and the beauty of all that. I'm, very lucky to have had a pretty rich public musical life so far and a strong centered fairly private one!

Happy Holidays Man,

Nice, very nice.

Great technique on the arpeggios in that piano break - guess the Jazz/bebop training is showing there?

Inspiring - now I've got a few licks to try and steal!

And now I know where you got your nickname from...(Your piano style)

Thanks Wades_keys,

Yes, the Jazz studies helped quit a bit. I grew up in the 60's really but I heard alot of Jazz as a young kid in the late 50' and liked it way before the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan, so the Jazz is in me.

When I decided to study jazz to be fair to my -self and my rock roots, I had to get over alot of preconceptions about my ear and emmerse myself in alot of music even I though was outdated or un-cool, even with the begginning of my childhood starting in the 50's having gone through the 60's/70's and all. I started piano studies late (at about 22).I studied accordian as a youngster not piano then right into R & R in the late 60's and 70's on Hammond Organ and later Pianos/RMI Piano and Mini-Moog and Rhodes and Wurlies.

Jazz studies and really getting to know the instrument (Piano) like a jazz musician was the best thing that ever happened to me as a musician. I do play other musics as you see. Alot of Jazzers will never consider that. Some people will. It depends on your path I guess, like mine, I had alot of twists and turns!

Hi Legatoboy - I guess I should call you Tony. I'm just catching up to this post. Nice chops. Tasty stuff. I like the whole band sound too.

In the tune Steady Rollin Man, by any chance, is your riff at all influenced by Chuck Leavell's work in the Allman Brothers tune Southbound? I love Chuck Leavell's playing on Brothers and Sisters. I have a hard time playing like him, but it's my goal to eventually figure it out. :)

What is the future of that KKB band? It sounds like you aren't playing with them any more.

Anyway, just wanted to say, I like your playing.

Regards.

Samick baby grand; Yamaha S90-ES; Ensoniq E-prime; bongos; tambourine; djimbe

http://www.mindseyeviewband.com/MindsEyeView/MEV.htm

skykeys,

hey man, thanks for the compliments. KKB is still going strong with Mark Mancini (no relation to Henry btw) on keys a very good player. The band is headed out on the Road alot now and there were some issues with my domestic scene. I'm still involved at this point on a "dotted line" basis. I left on fairly good terms. This has given me more time to get into my piano studies and home recording. I'm not lookiong for a gig right away other than pick up gigs and KKB and I may get back together at some point. I will probalbly play the bands 10 year anniversary shows.

I love Chucks work quit a bit also. Funny thing when I was a kid of 15, I was playing alot like him witout every hearing him. After he joined the Allmans alot of people noticed that and said wow, Chuck Leavell sounds like Tony. I had minor local hero status back then (1968-1975. As a kid I knoew how much more he had under his belt than me as afar as being together, his mom was a piano teacher, I had a ways to go at that point. He's my senior by about 3 years so it could be the times we grew up in as keyboardists/pianists or maybe a deeper connection.

I was actually going for Dick Sims organ sound from 451 Ocean Blouvard on Steady Rolling Man with that KKB session. I wasn't 100 successful with the Korg CX-3 and Motion Sound KBR-3D combination in the studio. The sound from my playing and feel didn't translate to the track or through my headphoines that day very well so it was an aproxomation of what I wanted. The piano solo was in fact Chuck Leavell influenced and also slides similiar to Leon Russel that I like but I had a latin thing that started to evolve as I played that take and I went with. In NY hear I have heard some very good South American and Cuban orchestras live and they influenced my playing so the piano solo was like that with those latin octaves going on! The RD700 (old) is good on the attack portion of the notes so that percussice piano solo worked in that recoding session for that tune. I use only Yamaha stage pianos now because of more sustain in the sample, P or CP series.

Tony

skykeys,

sorry for the spelling slop, i'm in work and alittle hurried, just trying to anwser you and get my ideas out. Try and translate!

thanks,

tony

Skykeys,

With Chuck, one signature thing he does and alot of other southern players do like Leon Russel is slide off the minor 3rd in certain was sometimes percussive sometimes more slur like:

Key of C:

figure example for Chucks sound:

play Eb and G(above) slide off the Eb quickly and play the D and G percussivly it's like a percussive slur.......Hang the G down threw the figure... just keep doing that over and over till it makes sense! In C you can do it on Gb abd Bb and down to an F the same way....

Tony

lb,

Thanks very much for the info and tips. I'm going to cop Chuck's, (or is it your?) style one of these days.

It's interesting; when you say you played like Chuck, my natural tendencies were to play "non standard" chords, ala Steely Dan, before I heard Steely Dan. I guess that's why I am so much of a Steely Dan/Donald Fagen fan. I was also heavily influenced by Keith Emerson and Tony Banks, - that classical/rock hybrid sound.

But I am also very much of a Chuck Leavell fan, and I'm going to nail that style one of these days. :)

I'm at work (supposedly) also, so I have to make this quick. I'm sure we'll stay in touch. Thanks again.

This is very cool.

Sky

Donald is Amy Helm's (Levon's daughter (The Band)) stepfather now. She's singing on 'These Blues' and 'Build Me a Road' w/KKB on my home page. She was in KKB with us for about a year or so on the bigger gigs. Very Nice person. Even though she's 20 years younger than me I know know alot of guys have a slight crush on her with those vibrant blue eyes, including me. I could never ask her directly what it was like having Donald Fagen as her (step)farther, though I was dying too of course! She's in Olabelle now.

I dig Donald's stuff very hard going way back to Pretzel Logic and the Royal Scam...... Early Dan was so cool....Aja. I made a mental note yesterday to pick up 'Morph the Cat'. . . .

Rumor has it Walter Becker grew up in La Harve, an apartment building complex in the town next to the town I grew up in in Queens NY on the norht shore of LI.

lb

Originally posted by Legatoboy:

sky,

wish I had a piano in front of me!

lb

. . instead of a frontal pianobotomy. . . . Okay, that doesn't work so well. I assume you know the Tom Waits reference. :)

Didn't know anything about Donald Fagen being Amy Helm's stepfather. I'll have to read up on it, and her.

Too bad you didn't know Walter Becker. Similarly, I hung out for a while with Todd Rundgren's younger brother, Robin. Todd had already dropped out of Upper Darby High School and was in The Naz when I first met Robin - in 5th or 6th grade I think it was, so I never got to meet Todd.

skys,

I was in 8th grade when the 1st Nazz album came out. The transulant red LP......no that was the 2nd one I think! we all loved that album! Todd seems like a pretty nice guy from what I could make of him in the 4 min I saw of him! I saw him in Manhatten on day on 48th street, the music block!

I guess we like name dropping. I'm quilty as charged!

lb

Archived