Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha noise

eric.B

I posted this on another forum, but I am curious what you guys (and gals) have to say.

I bought a Yamaha CVP-303 in March this year to play at home. I noticed the built-in speakers produce a soft, hissing noise. The level stays the same whether the volume is set to 0 or max. There is no noise at all when using headphones.

I asked other CVP owners and they all replied they hear absolutely no noise. I contacted Yamaha Nederland who forwarded me to several repair companies. I e-mailed two of them and they both replied a little noise is normal. My dealer came and listened: he says Yamaha's should not make this noise. So then I had a Yamaha tech come over today. He thinks it's normal, but he'll listen to another 303 to be sure. So that's confusing, right?

What do you say? Is it normal an expensive instrument produces more noise than a cheap junk radio? Anyone had the same experience?

eric B

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by eric.B:

I bought a Yamaha CVP-303 in March this year to play at home. I noticed the built-in speakers produce a soft, hissing noise. The level stays the same whether the volume is set to 0 or max. There is no noise at all when using headphones.

How audible is it?

How audible is it?
You can hear it (at least I can) when you're sitting in normal playing position at the CVP. So you don't have to put your head on the speaker to be able to hear it, far from that.

BTW: man, this site is slow today or what? If I press add reply, I can go to the fridge, drink a beer, come back and still see the same window. But maybe I'm a fast drinker :) !

eric B

BTW: man, this site is slow today or what? If I press add reply, I can go to the fridge, drink a beer, come back and still see the same window. But maybe I'm a fast drinker :) !

Hahahaha... Same here, I had time to start the laundry and vacuum three rooms before I could continue navigate the site. I guess it's gonna make us become more polyvalent people. :)

Your dealer already said that your piano makes too much noise, right, though the tech said it was OK but he will listen to another of the same model to be sure.

I'm not sure what you want from us.

Since the dealer agrees with you perhaps he can simply swap another of the same model.

If you are dissatisfied with the outcome, contact Yamaha at a higher level and I'm sure they will follow through. I had an anomaly with my GranTouch. I wrote a letter to Yamaha in Japan and received a phone call from a tech in Germany. It took a little while but they followed through.

You can still play the piano until this is resolved, right? Get back to practicing and let us know how it all turns out.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

That should be obvious: I just would like to know if others have or had the same problem and if it was solved. Yamaha Nederland just refers to the three repair companies in Nederland. Two replied by e-mail some noise is normal and the last one visited me and told me the same. So the people who should be repairing the machine say there isn't a problem. You see my point?

The dealer has no CVP's in stock or in his showroom to swap, so he would have to order a new one and be left with a second hand; very small change he'll do this.

You can still play the piano until this is resolved, right?
If you get annoyed by the noise when you're playing a machine you spent 2,6 K euro on, it kind of takes the fun out of it.
eric B

That should be obvious: I just would like to know if others have or had the same problem and if it was solved. Yamaha Nederland just refers to the three repair companies in Nederland. Two replied by e-mail some noise is normal and the last one visited me and told me the same. So the people who should be repairing the machine say there isn't a problem. You see my point?

The dealer has no CVP's in stock or in his showroom to swap, so he would have to order a new one and be left with a second hand; very small change he'll do this.

You can still play the piano until this is resolved, right?
If you get annoyed by the noise when you're playing a machine you spent 2,6 K euro on, it kind of takes the fun out of it.
Eric,

As Dave pointed out you may have to contact Yamaha directly. If your dealer won't follow through, I would conatc them and explain your situation. Several people, myself included, have had positive experiences with Yamaha customer service. Music 123 is a fairly large online music dealer. They refused to take back a keyboard I purchased due to problems. I contacted Yamaha directly and they said they would conact the dealer directly. If the dealer wouldn't take the item back, I could replace the item directly through them. Either way I was covered and in the end the dealer offerd to replace the item or five me a credit for the item.

Begin the day with a friendly voice A companion, unobtrusive

- Rush

Several people, myself included, have had positive experiences with Yamaha customer service.
+1

When asking on sninety.com how to replace a broken key on my S90, I found that Yamaha was replacing keybeds gratis because of keys breaking. One email to customer support and they shipped a new keybed to the tech of my choice. All I had to do was drop it off and pick it up.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

Thanks Rush. I guess I'll wait just a couple of days to hear what the tech comes up with. I did send an e-mail directly to Yamaha, but, as said, they just lead me to the mentioned repair companies. Perhaps a written request will do more.

But I'm sensing the musical instrument market in Nederland is small and therefore Yamaha Nederland and the related service companies are too. I don't want to offend him, but I believe that the tech who visited me has a one-person business and he was old enough to be my great-great-grandfather. Hmmm, maybe he couldn't even hear the noise :D !

eric B

Eric, where in Holland do you live? Are you anywhere near me?

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived