Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recognize this leslie?

BluesKeys

I ran across this leslie with a Baldwin organ. However I think it is a solid state model. I have search the websites I know to no avail.

http://a.im.craigslist.org/9c/cI/oUO6Vhaj8XhIeT0a0QhyedhNlIpU.jpg

I thought if it was not a solid state it might be a good parts model for a used, more desirable model like a 147.

I missed a free hammond on here about 2 weeks ago but have no idea what model it was.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by BluesKeys:

I ran across this leslie with a Baldwin organ. However I think it is a solid state model. I have search the websites I know to no avail.

http://a.im.craigslist.org/9c/cI/oUO6Vhaj8XhIeT0a0QhyedhNlIpU.jpg

I thought if it was not a solid state it might be a good parts model for a used, more desirable model like a 147.

I missed a free hammond on here about 2 weeks ago but have no idea what model it was.

It appears to be a 720 (bottom unit) with a 540 on top. The 540 is simply an extra set of stationary speakers. The 720 is a "real" rotating Leslie. Both have solid state amps.

More info:

Hope this helps.

- Bob

Thanks Bob it sure looks like the one's. I was thinking like MC that there was no rotation but it looks like the 720 has the horn and 10" rotating and 2-8" and a 15" stationary.

Now the question is.

Is this worth a purchase on the chance I find a 122 or 147 that might need work?

I guess the solid state amps are worthless. But maybe the speakers and rotors might be worth having.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

I guess the solid state amps are worthless. But maybe the speakers and rotors might be worth having.

Not quite worthless - they are louder and have more bite (less warmth) than the tube versions. Some people actually like them better for these reasons. As with most of this stuff, YMMV.

- Bob

Thanks Bob, do you know if the other parts would be interchangeable with the tube versions?

I guess I need someone to say you should buy it or should not buy it because....

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Thanks Bob, do you know if the other parts would be interchangeable with the tube versions?

I guess I need someone to say you should buy it or should not buy it because....

I think the motors and speakers would be pretty-much interchangeable, so you could substitute a tube amp for the SS one. But the interface is different from the 122/147's - 11-pin vs 6 pin. This may be an advantage, depending upon what you are hooking up to - modern Hammonds use the 11-pin, while old ones use the 6 pin. The interface isn't directly related to the type of amp - after all, today Hammond sells both types - but some rewiring would be necessary to install an old amp into this unit. The conversion would not be impossible, but is probably not a "drop-in" operation.

There is information about how to modify these relatively modern ("only" 30 yrs old!) Leslie units to make them sound better. I have been tempted, since I enjoy this sort of challenge, although so far I have managed to quell the GAS with a couple of Rolaids. :eek: For this particular unit, it might also depend on whether you want a piece of furniture or not.

I guess nobody can tell you whether you want this unit or not - sorry.

- Bob

it looks like the 720 has the horn and 10" rotating and 2-8" and a 15" stationary...

Is this worth a purchase on the chance I find a 122 or 147 that might need work?...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Depends on what you're willing to settle for. Even with a tube amp conversion, with that speaker setup it's not going to sound like a 122 or a 147. How could it(?)! Personally I'd hold out for a fixer-upper 122 / 147. Parts are all available. I just refurbed my (circa 1967)122 about 2 years ago. Between suppliers and eBay, I had no problem with parts.

Good luck, Paul

WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Gas has passed I think... I don't even own a Hammond yet. I am still looking for that deal I can't pass up.

I thank you for the site info and wisdom. I just don't need a pc of furniture right now.

Thanks Bob

Jimmy

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived