Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody heard of RAQ?

Skythe

I was wondering if anybody has heard of the band RAQ yet? I'm pretty sure they're new to gigging as a band, but I'd say they have some potential.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=26538752

Go watch the video for Beauregard, and go to about 3:38, their keyboard player starts to do some crazy-ass solo on a Nord Lead (I think). He does some weird clawing thing.

Tell me what you guys think >_>b .

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These cats rock! :thu:

I've done solos like the one in question (technique-wise, not necessarily note-wise ;) ), usually with a Wah Clav sound, but I really dug the sounds he was digging into. The low-end piano emphasis on Beauregard is especially cool to my ears. :)

It's especially refreshing to hear a band where the mix doesn't bury the keys. Mind you, it'd be tough to bury this guy, even if you tried! ;)

Quoted by Sven Golly
These cats rock!
+1...........and then some. It seems that the keyboard player is implementing paradiddles between his keyboards. That or something relatively close to it. I used to do that when I played many years ago. Damn he's good, and to hear him over the rest of the band is a plus as well. :thu:

Erlic

RAQ has been around for years. They're hardly new to gigging as a band. I went to college in Burlington, VT a few years ago, so I definitely know the name, although to be honest, I hadn't heard them until I visited their MySpace page just a moment ago. They're pretty good.

edit: Their bio says the band formed in 2001, but I could have sworn they've been around even longer.

Briddog6996, perhaps we were at school together? UVM? I was there from 98-2004, roughly.

And yeah, I was going to say the same thing, I've seen their name around town, but haven't listened to them before. When I get home from work tonight I'll tune in to myspace.

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

RAQ has been around for years. They're hardly new to gigging as a band. I went to college in Burlington, VT a few years ago, so I definitely know the name, although to be honest, I hadn't heard them until I visited their MySpace page just a moment ago. They're pretty good.

edit: Their bio says the band formed in 2001, but I could have sworn they've been around even longer.

I stand corrected :) . I still consider them pretty "underground" though, I'm not so sure so many people have heard them. I got around to them, when my friend showed me some RAQ music the drummer had given him.

These guys are great. How many Nord keyboards does that guy have, 3?
Hmm, I have an odd obsession with finding out what type of equipment people use, so I checked some pictures. The things I can see are: of course the Hammond XK-3, a Kurzweil PC, a Nord Lead 3, a Nord Lead 2X, and something on the top rack that looks like a Korg Karma :o .

Casio WK 3200: $250.00

Behringer Ultratone FX900: $180.00

Roadrunner bag: $40.00

Intrument cable: $25.00

Radioshack Stand: $10.00

Rocking out of the cheapest equipment you can find: priceless.

Originally posted by daviel:

These guys are great. How many Nord keyboards does that guy have, 3?

Well, his rig consists of:

In front:

Kurzweil PC2X (?) under Hammond XK-3

To his right:

Nord Lead 3

To his left:

Korg MS2000B

Nord Lead 2

Nord Electro 2

Behind him:

Leslie (I think a 147)

Rackmount mixer (might be a Soundcraft?)

Fender Twin (or similar) amp, mic'ed

Wicked rig... serious gear envy over here! ;)

Archived