Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using a XV-2020?!?

dalpozlead

Is it ok to buy an XV-2020 just to use the Roland expansion cards (as an alternative from buying a Fantom?

Will it sound just like its installed in a fantom? cause Ive heard that the internal waves in the XV-2020 were too much compressed and stuff.

thx!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Effects layout is different. Multitimbrally you won't have access to the same number or type of MFX blocks. But SRX boards don't take advantage of the newer COSMs in Fantoms anyway (in order to stay compatable with everything). If you never edit a sound and you never use multitimbral programs I don't think you'll notice anything different from the SRX boards with your ears. Internal ROM is different though.

I don't know how the Fantom is, but i use my XV2020 with SRX 11 external piano card and it sounds ok, much better than the internal pianos. Generally speaking, the internal XV sounds are bit compressed, but with the SRX cards on, you can have good sounds for any purpose - plus the XV is small and you can carry it everywhere

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

I want to AB compare an Expansion board in the XV2020 and the Fantom rack. Everybody speculates either that there is no difference or there is.

Find 750 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

Yes, they all lack luster. I am very curious how Expansion boards sound in the XV-2020 compared to the Fantoms, assuming all effects and COSMs are off.

Find 750 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

Archived