Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

help with M-tron & Reason

Rhodes54

i'm trying to run Reason and M-Tron (standalone) in a live rig. I can control volume on Combinator devices with a CV pedal, but the M-tron is *always* on. Haven't gotten any response from M-audio and the manual is pretty useless. Any help is much appreciated.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if I understand you correctly...You want to use both programs at the same time but can't turn off the M-tron without manually (id est, with the mouse) turning its volume down?

This might not be the solution you're looking for, but what works for me is to use the m-tron in a VST or AU host and assign it a different midi channel than the devices you use for Reason.

Hope it helps, although I sense my awful reading comprehension is causing me trouble again :P

That's exactly what I'm doing-running both programs at the same time on a PowerBook G4 800mhz. Don't have a host program because I was worried about overtaxing the processor. Is there some very simple VST or AU host I could use that supports ReWire? Or is there a way for Reason to read the M-Tron or it's samples? I'm not sequencing anything, it's all live. Thanks.

I you don't want to invest in a bigger program, you might get away with it with a free VST host...I don't remember the names, look in google. I remember a VST Host X for Mac (or something like that). It doesn't have rewire for reason, but at least you can assign a different MIDI channel to M-Tron...

Anyway, if you're performing live, you might consider investing on a better host.

(Is that your daughter Spiral Light? She looks like my niece...Could they be the same person??)

So I guess what I need is some kind of 'soft midi controller host(?) ' that would allow me to create key maps, layers, splits and assign controllers to Reason devices, M-Tron and any other soft synths. This is what I've been using the Combinator for in Reason and everything was fine until I got the M-Tron. Thanks again.

Originally posted by cd1981:

I you don't want to invest in a bigger program, you might get away with it with a free VST host...I don't remember the names, look in google. I remember a VST Host X for Mac (or something like that). It doesn't have rewire for reason, but at least you can assign a different MIDI channel to M-Tron...

Anyway, if you're performing live, you might consider investing on a better host.

(Is that your daughter Spiral Light? She looks like my niece...Could they be the same person??)

That is my daughter, do you have a neice in VT??
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

Originally posted by Rhodes54:

So I guess what I need is some kind of 'soft midi controller host(?) ' that would allow me to create key maps, layers, splits and assign controllers to Reason devices, M-Tron and any other soft synths. This is what I've been using the Combinator for in Reason and everything was fine until I got the M-Tron. Thanks again.

Reason and MTron are two separate entities. To bring them together to use live you will need a separate sequencer to use as mixer (check rewire compatibility if you go the freeware route!!!). I think the combinator is only for use inside reason. Another clue is that reason doesn't use 3rd party plugins at all (only specific reason samples).
www.windhamhill.com - Shameless Advertising!

There was a thread here recently on what VST hosts everyone was using live. Some of them were freeware. That (the thread) would be a great place to start for specific sites to check for rewire compatibility.

Just at thought before Sven jumped in and swatted at you (hehehe).

Jay

Originally posted by Rhodes54:

I'm not sequencing anything, it's all live.

What keyboard are you using as a controller?

I would think each standalone program could bet set for a different MIDI channel. A simple Combi/Performance on a controller could then access either program as desired.

Archived