Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Rant About Car FM Transmitters

Jazzwee

No this is not about buying an FM transmitter for Ipod use.

This is about me driving and enjoying my jazz station at FM 88.1 and suddenly my FM station is taken over by a Sirius Radio POWERFULLY occupying 88.1, overriding the radio station and suddenly have the radio change to Howard Stern talking about female "parts" (in equisite detail). Now I happened to be alone in this case, but this has happened each time I drive.

Being a paid station, there is of course no "censorship" but if my kids were in the car, this would be highly disturbing. Why is this Sirius radio's FM Transmitter so powerful? When I use my IPOD's transmitter, I can hardly get the signal. Doesn't this go against FCC regulations because it is now taking up my radio wave space. This thing works way outside the car's boundaries. The signal is so strong it overpowers a real radio station.

I know most of you may not care if you don't listen to any station near 88.1 but unfortunately, 88.1 is the default for all these FM Transmitters. GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow I'm not surprised especially with how cellular and cordless phones pick up other signals rather easily.

Since it has happened more than once, I'm sure complaints have already been filed with the FCC. Check into it.

I would have been ticked had 'Giant Steps' or Ahmad Jamal's version of 'Autumn in New York' been interrupted by that filth. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

No this is not about buying an FM transmitter for Ipod use.

This is about me driving and enjoying my jazz station at FM 88.1 and suddenly my FM station is taken over by a Sirius Radio POWERFULLY occupying 88.1, overriding the radio station and suddenly have the radio change to Howard Stern talking about female "parts" (in equisite detail). Being a paid station, there is of course no "censorship" but if my kids were in the car, this would be highly disturbing.

Depending on their age, they probably heard that and a lot worse in the "playground." Besides, don't they find jazz "highly disturbing"? ;)

Why not record your jazz station to CD (or iPod) and play it back in the car? (And why are you using a performance-degrading FM transmitter to listen to your iPod?)

Soundscape, as you know, one is not able to drive with earphones/headphones. So to play my unlimited list of tunes, I use an Ipod. But they really have to design car sound systems to have an Aux In. In which case there would be little need for this FM Transmitter nonsense, which as you say, is really poor sound.

So to avoid the poor sound of my Ipod, I was listening to the perfectly fine sound of my local jazz station (which I think is really a great station - KKJZ).

ProfD, this is the worse part. Imagine listening to Autumn Leaves on the radio, with Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, and Hank Jones. In any case this is the first time I've heard this version and I was like commenting to myself how cool those lydian lines were from Miles and suddenly it gets interrupted!

So my solution is to keep driving ahead of this pickup truck to increase the range. Then he keeps speeding up to catch up to me. I'm like driving like a maniac to keep a three car length distance to avoid the FM signal. Finally I gave up and got the full discussion about the particulars of certain privates.

At least I got most of that tune.

The culprit in all the cases that I have been bothered has been Sirius Receivers (I know because it is almost always Howard Stern). They must make those FM transmitters extra powerful on those things, to the detriment of other airspace users.

Considering they pay Howard Stern $100M :rolleyes: , I'm sure those clowns have found a way to ramp up the transmission signal for his show.

It is never a fun thing to have your favorite tune interrupted by foolishness, especially when there is an all-star line up playing it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I've noticed this a lot when traveling the Interstate. I've had radio stations overpowered by these transmitters and I have experienced my own iPod FM transmitter being overpoewered by someone else using a stronger transmitter. My new stereo has aux input in the front. Now my challenge is to find an adapter since Pioneer saw fit to use an odd size for that input jack. :P

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Rabid, at least on the interstate, you have a little range. The problem I have is there is no escape in city traffic.

I thought the FCC had to approve these devices. How did they get them to be so powerful?

Anybody with Sirius here that can verify?

It isn't the Sirius Satellite that's in question here. It is the car receiver with an FM transmitter so you can listen to the channels on your car FM Radio.

This is the same type of device I use on my Ipod. But the Sirius receiver's FM Transmitters are overpowered, I'm sure so they get a better sound quality for the paying subscriber.

jazzwee.

I just tok a look at one of these in a neighbor's car. he has the Sirius dock with buit in transmitter to play through his car FM radio.

It does indeed say "complies with FCC class b (?)......" etc..etc... for thse types of devices.

Do you have a eally good head unit/tuner in your car? I sat my car next o his, and tuning to the proper station, I could just barely get it to come in...basically lots of static with an occasional clear signal. Other than that, no reception.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I think there are multiple models. Thanks for checking BTW.

There must be a particular model popular in LA because it's so common. Also funny how every time my radio has been overriden, it's been by someone in a pickup truck! I wonder what the connection is?

Pickup truck owners love Howard Stern. :D

Could be something unique about the pickup truck/Sirius transmitter combination.

Also, isn't it possible that everyone else stuck in traffic with you has a Sirius transmitter, and they're all listening to Howard? The combination could be overpowering. :o:D

Here is a report from TechDirt.com

NPR Sick Of Howard Stern Butting In; Wants FCC To Recall FM Modulators

From the interference-problems dept.

"A few years back, the UK decided to ban certain FM modulators such as the "iTrip" device that would let you broadcast your iPod a short distance at a low frequency on your radio, claiming that it was breaking the law that banned "pirate" radio stations -- even if it could only broadcast a few feet. Earlier this year however, a bunch of radio stations in the US started complaining that these FM modulators from both things like the iTrip and that were popular with satellite radio systems were causing problems on the road. Basically, as someone drove by with one of those modulators, the broadcast would break into other passing cars' radios. In order to make it clear what a problem this was, they talked of things like Howard Stern and gangsta rap breaking into Christian radio stations. This seemed a little silly, but at the same time, the FCC began an investigation into reports that the modulators from XM and Sirius went beyond specifications. Apparently, NPR isn't happy with the FCC's efforts so far. They conducted their own study, which found that 40% of the devices exceed FCC limits and are demanding that the FCC recall the devices. A separate study by the National Association of Broadcasters also found that more than 75% of the devices exceed their power limits. It may be true that these devices exceed the set limits, but it still seems to take things a bit far to claim that "these modulators pose a significant threat" to public radio. There's nothing wrong with recalling the devices if they do exceed the set specs, but it's hardly such a threat. In fact, as the article notes, when the modulators are set to the proper levels, it's possible that the reverse happens: and NPR signals will break into people listening to Howard Stern on their satellite radio."

"Will that pose just as significant a threat?"

I suppose we'll never know until the FCC recalls the XM and Sirius FM Modulators and replaces them with ones that are indeed within the FCC class b spec. ;)

They will then be on a level playing field and not as it apparently is now where the Sirius and XM Modulators exceed FCC limits. As long as Sirius and XM play by the rules regarding their FM Modulators and comply to FCC standards then let the chips fall where they may. When the FCC fixes the discrepancy it should alleviate the problem not accentuate it. But as it stands now the XM and Sirius FM Modulators are exceeding FCC limits and thereby breaking the law also.

Up to 75% of them are overpowered??? That is WAAYYYYY unacceptable.

The NPR has every right to complain the the FCC.

Here is the FCC consumer complaint hotline for those with questions or who want help in filing a complaint:

Call Toll Free: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322).

Mike

Originally posted by keynote:

Here is a report from TechDirt.com

NPR Sick Of Howard Stern Butting In; Wants FCC To Recall FM Modulators

From the interference-problems dept.

"A few years back, the UK decided to ban certain FM modulators such as the "iTrip" device that would let you broadcast your iPod a short distance at a low frequency on your radio, claiming that it was breaking the law that banned "pirate" radio stations -- even if it could only broadcast a few feet. Earlier this year however, a bunch of radio stations in the US started complaining that these FM modulators from both things like the iTrip and that were popular with satellite radio systems were causing problems on the road. Basically, as someone drove by with one of those modulators, the broadcast would break into other passing cars' radios. In order to make it clear what a problem this was, they talked of things like Howard Stern and gangsta rap breaking into Christian radio stations. This seemed a little silly, but at the same time, the FCC began an investigation into reports that the modulators from XM and Sirius went beyond specifications. Apparently, NPR isn't happy with the FCC's efforts so far. They conducted their own study, which found that 40% of the devices exceed FCC limits and are demanding that the FCC recall the devices. A separate study by the National Association of Broadcasters also found that more than 75% of the devices exceed their power limits. It may be true that these devices exceed the set limits, but it still seems to take things a bit far to claim that "these modulators pose a significant threat" to public radio. There's nothing wrong with recalling the devices if they do exceed the set specs, but it's hardly such a threat. In fact, as the article notes, when the modulators are set to the proper levels, it's possible that the reverse happens: and NPR signals will break into people listening to Howard Stern on their satellite radio."

"Will that pose just as significant a threat?"

I suppose we'll never know until the FCC recalls the XM and Sirius FM Modulators and replaces them with ones that are indeed within the FCC class b spec. ;)

They will then be on a level playing field and not as it apparently is now where the Sirius and XM Modulators exceed FCC limits. As long as Sirius and XM play by the rules regarding their FM Modulators and comply to FCC standards then let the chips fall where they may. When the FCC fixes the discrepancy it should alleviate the problem not accentuate it. But as it stands now the XM and Sirius FM Modulators are exceeding FCC limits and thereby breaking the law also.

Up to 75% of them are overpowered??? That is WAAYYYYY unacceptable.

The NPR has every right to complain the the FCC.

Here is the FCC consumer complaint hotline for those with questions or who want help in filing a complaint:

Call Toll Free: 1-888-CALL-FCC (1-888-225-5322).

Keynote, I really appreciate you finding that. I wasn't dreaming after all. The reason this problem is hardly noticed is that the lower frequencies (88.1 for example) are usually populated by non-profits such as NPR and the Jazz station, or the classical station.

The regular, so called "terrestrial" radio stations, have complained to the FCC for some time about this.

They have also complained about the fact that, in many places, people are not receiving XM or Sirius via satellite.

Both companies have many traditional transmitters and radio towers around the U.S.....supposedly to compensate for "weak" satellite reception areas (in big cities, etc.).

The traditional AM and FM stations feel this was a sneaky way for the satellite companies to broadcast the old fashioned way, without having to apply for a commercial broadcast frequency in the traditional manner.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Archived