Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SRX-07 and SRX-11 patch comparisons

harmonizer

I have read recent discussions and advice on the sound quality of various patches on the Roland SRX-11 card. I have an SRX-07, and I would like to be able to figure how much of these discussions could be applicable with the SRX-07. Is there a place where I can read up on which patches might be the same between these two cards? I know I could compare the names of the patches, but I am not sure if patches having the same names on these two cards would have the exact same qualities, and if techniques that might improve the sound for a patch on the SRX-11 might work the same for improving the same patch on the SRX-07. Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no comparison. The SRX-11 features one acoustic piano.

The SRX-7 does not feature a decent acoustic piano, thoiugh there is one from "Sessions", it's alot of EPs, vintage synths, basses and percussion, just too many samples jammed into the memory space. They sound too compressed to me.

I thought the basses were the only decent section. The Rhodes and other keyboards were awful.

Find 750 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

I never use the piano on the SRX-7. A lot of people playing in cover bands got good use from the ep's and organs on that card. Sure, there are better ep's and organs but this card was very handy because it supplied patches with frequently used sounds for covering 70's and 80's rock. I like the synths and tron patches.

The best thing to do is go here and check the demo.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Oh yeah the organs were ok too, not still not very good though. I never knew what to think of Roland's vintage synth patches. I always wanted a Chick Corea type MiniMoog patch and am still waiting for it from Roland.

Find 750 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." 

Originally posted by RABid:

I never use the piano on the SRX-7. A lot of people playing in cover bands got good use from the ep's and organs on that card. Sure, there are better ep's and organs but this card was very handy because it supplied patches with frequently used sounds for covering 70's and 80's rock. I like the synths and tron patches.

The best thing to do is go here and check the demo.

Robert

True. It did turn my V-Combo into a much more versatile instrument -- adding a lot of sounds to a great clonewheel!

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I was expecting comparisons between SRX-07 and SRX-12 (that's the one with updated EPs, right?).

I am one of those torn between the multiple compromises on picking the right choice of SRx for my future Fantom. Right now I depend a lot on the SRJV 04 & 08 I have on my venerable XP-30. These cards were pretty much rehashed into SRX-07. Then again it looks like the current "best" options were split in the following manner:

Good EPs = SRX-012.

Good Organs = well, everyone says the ones on SRX-07 are no longer good enough. Looks like the best would be the VK-8M module, which probably contributed to Roland's decision of not including any updated Hammond patches on the SRX-012 (as well the physical memory limitations).

Good Vintage Synth sounds = The same aging process seems to have affected the Vintage synth patches on SRX-07, and currently Roland has nothing better than that in this department. I wonder how much of my Classic Rock cover context I can cover with just the CreamWare Minimax and some quality programming hours.

It's indeed hard to choose, especially with budget limitations :cry: .

"I'm ready to sing to the world. If you back me up". (Lennon to his bandmates, in an inspired definition of what it's all about).

My complaint with the SRX-07 is wasted space and patches. I was hoping for an updated and expanded version of vintage keys and synths. Drums, bass, guitars and outdated pianos were useless filler. I wish they had left out the stuff from SR-JV80-09 Session and SR-JV80-03 Piano. That space could have been used for more synths and better ep's.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

SRX12 = 1 Good Rhodes (also with Phase and Vibrato versions) The Wurlitzer is garbage, the Clav is OK I guess. There are no organs.

If you like to program and have a Fantom S or X, SRX-07 is a goldmine of waveforms. I like the B3s but only if I run them in series through the tube amp sim and then the VK Rotary sim, none of which are in the presets because this card has to work on everything SRX and only the Fantoms S/X can do this trick.

The synth waveforms most from Vintage Synth are great raw material. Lots of everything... Oberheim and Jupiter pads, sync-sweeps, Moog basses, and tons of unprocessed waves. And yes... D50 Heaven!... unbelievably left out of the native rom this time around.

This is actually a very valuable board. But do not buy SRX-07 for it's pianos and EPs. They're just so Roland circa 1990.

Archived