Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond JR20 Tone Cabinet

dustyh

I have a Hammond JR20 tone cabinet that I can either turn into a liquor cabinet or a guitar amp. I was hoping that someone could direct me as to what I would have to do to modify the input so I could use it for something besides a bar. Thanks.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
any Hammond tone cabinet is expecting a much-hotter-than-normal input (2 volt P-P approx.) and also a balanced (push-pull circuit, not just XLR type) signal. It is not suited for much other than a console Hammond (A/B/C/RT series).
Hammond T-582A, Casio WK6600, Behringer D

I owned, what I thought was called, a PR20 (or PR40?) Hammond tone cabinet. I believe it contained two 12" and two 15" speakers. There was also a spring reverb. I'm not familiar with the JR20.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

The PR40 is a nice cabinet. On our last record I used one in conjuction with a 122 and it really helped get a nice, full, rich bass sound to tape.

The JR20, however, is not as good. It has half the wattage and I believe a series of 10" speakers. The bass isn't as thumping as the PR40's twin 15" woofers and the amp is underpowered.

I would turn it into a liquor cabinet or something cool.

I have a Pr-20 that is just furniture. I also had a PR-40 which I gave to a good friend who uses it just like B3-er describes. It is really nice for getting a rich deep bass tone.

Archived