Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

question re Jimmy van Heusen's Imagination

Dave Horne

It''s not clear in my fakebook what the rhythm is in bar four of the bridge. The text for that measure is then and then.

Which then is the half note ... the first or the second?

TIA, DH

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kanker and busch, thanks!

This is great place - I knew someone would have the answer and you guys responded very quickly.

My copy of that tune had been copied many times and some of the half notes have been filled in by the copy machine.

Thanks!

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by marino:

I thought you were questioning Jimmy Van Heusen's musical imagination...

:D:D

Good one!

I went to the official site of Jimmy van Heusen and was amazed to learn that he wrote the lyrics for over 500 tunes. list of ASCAP tunes

I know it's possible that some of the younger guys here never heard of him but I'm pretty sure they've heard of some of the tunes.

An idea for Keyboard magazine - a monthly one page feature of a composer\songwriter\lyricist\performer\whatever from ... prehistoric times.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

I went to the official site of Jimmy van Heusen and was amazed to learn that he wrote the lyrics for over 500 tunes. list of ASCAP tunes

I know it's possible that some of the younger guys here never heard of him but I'm pretty sure they've heard of some of the tunes.

An idea for Keyboard magazine - a monthly one page feature of a composer\songwriter\lyricist\performer\whatever from ... prehistoric times.

Hmm, I don't recognize any of these songs by title.

There are other songwriters who are still around today with equally huge repertoires. Unfortunately, they don't always get much respect from musicians... or anyone else. On the other hand, magazines do features... the DuPrees. :D:eek:

Originally posted by soundscape:

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Hmm, I don't recognize any of these songs by title.

There are other songwriters who are still around today with equally huge repertoires. Unfortunately, they don't always get much respect from musicians... or anyone else. On the other hand, magazines do features... the DuPrees. :D:eek:

I went _very quickly_ through that list ...

here's some of the better known hits ...

ALL MY TOMORROWS

ALL THE WAY

CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE

COME FLY WITH ME

DARN THAT DREAM

IMAGINATION

IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

LOVE AND MARRIAGE

MOONLIGHT BECOMES YOU

SECOND TIME AROUND

SEPTEMBER OF MY YEARS

TENDER TRAP THE

YOUNG AT HEART

From the BMI database ( http://repertoire.bmi.com/ ):

Songwriter/Composer: KING CAROLE

There are 499 Work Titles

It's funny, I don't think I've found anyone with a repertoire of more than 1000 songs. Really prolific writers seem to be around the 400-500 mark, and a lot of it seems to be done in a 'peak' period where they can write a song a day if they have to. Then suddenly it seems they no longer have 'it' anymore. Weird.

I just searched my name on the ascap thing, but only about 300 came up and some are listed twice. I'm not sure how they list 'em for these little songs we write for ad purposes, but I've done close to 2k of them. That's no big deal though...I know guys that have done 3x's that easy. I'll bet Carole has thousands of things she's done, it's just that people don't know about all of it.

Although I'm from the Beatle era, I have come to really appreciate songwriters from the '30s and '40s. I really like Hoagy Carmichael, for one!

And I enjoy seeing some swing bands in old movies... back when it was the pop music of the day!

I love Django and Charlie Christian and Lester Young and certain Duke Ellington things. I will never be able to approach swing like someone from that era, I don't think - although my mandolin teacher really wants to teach me some swing stuff!

But hell, I'll play anything with anybody, if they're a good musician, and we're playing privately. Why the hell not? Does that qualify as "shamelessly promiscuous?"

I really like Hoagy Carmichael, for one!

Me too. If I could go back in time, Hoagy would certainly be one guy I'd like to have lunch with. Just looking at some of his tunes on paper, you can hear a slow swinging melody. I have CD with him playing and singing his own tunes. He was an excellent tunesmith.

Pardon me for the interuption, but has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking resemblance to a world famous schizoid painter?

Yes, and Hoagies ( numerous Hoagy's ) are great with an ice cold can of Coke!

from failing memory

A quarter, an eighth, an eighth tied to a half note

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

Originally posted by suraci:

Pardon me for the interuption, but has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking resemblance to a world famous schizoid painter?

Yes, and Hoagies ( numerous Hoagy's ) are great with an ice cold can of Coke!

from failing memory

A quarter, an eighth, an eighth tied to a half note

My avatar is a self portrait of van Gogh. I don't know if you were joking or not in your comment.

Hoagies are part of the food pyramid in Philadelphia, my home town.

And where does the Cheese Steak fit, in Philies pyramid scheme, of things?

Joke, I would recognize Gauguin's pal anywhere.

The difference between what the most and the least learned people know is inexpressibly trivial in relation to that which is unknown

Archived