Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rick Wakeman: Retro

Dave Bryce

Anybody else have this record?

I juast got it a few days, ago, and I'm really impressed. I've always enjoyed his work, of course...but I haven't had a chance to listen to much of his recent material. If his other recent records are as much fun as this one, I may have to get more of them.

The reeeeally bad thing is that this record has me GASsing for a Mellotron... :eek:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mate_stubb:

I might have to give that one a try!

If you do, let me know.

He only used old synths and keyboards on this record. I can't help but wonder if I like it so much because of that, or whether he was more inspired to play the sort of stuff that first made me really enjoy his stlye because he was using the old stuff. I've heard some of his more recent stuff, and it didn't impress me anywhere near as much as this record.

I'd be interested to hear what others think.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

hey dave, Wakeman is in my top 5 list.

I consider 6 Wives a '10' and Jouney to the Center of the Earth a

But some of Ricks material is too 'syrupy' ( I can't think of a better term)

With that, how do you rate Retro ? Does he jam and have great accompaniment ? Any known folks backing Rick ?

Just Another Day

Mr. Lonely

One in the Eye

Men in Suits

Leave the Blindfold

Waveform

Retrospective

Homage to the Doctor

Can You Smell Burning?

Stalker

Thanks

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I've read quite a lot of negative opinions on this one. They were saying that despite the old synths the material is rather weak on Retro. I dunno... That's why I didn't buy it so far. I would love to hear it first.
I am back.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I can't help but wonder if I like it so much because of that, or whether he was more inspired to play the sort of stuff that first made me really enjoy his stlye because he was using the old stuff.

But I've listened to most of his work, although not htis album. His material is variable in effectiveness although Rick doesn't stray far from his signature style.

Because the sounds make a difference ...

I think the sound is a big part of why I like the old stuff. My favorites are Six wives and Criminal Record. In both cases, the significant timbres are capable of sustaining interest with very little of the real time tweaking (vibrato, bends). And he plays as if the timbres are significant. He lets the timbres breathe and drift and ...

Some of the same factors that caused someone else to say that synths are out of tune. ;)

Jerry

Archived