Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any more news on the GEM X-series module?

Marillo

Originally posted by vihreamies:

Hello Dave,

I must ask, based on your demos, did the RP-X sound as the promega3, or is there different pianos and el.pianos than in Promega?

I can't wait to hear the beast...

-vm

Hi,

In the little time I have spent with the RP-X so far, here is what I can tell you at this point. There is more control over the sound than in the Promega, i.e. filter cutoff and resonance, envelope generator, multi-band parametric EQ, etc. Regarding the sounds shared amongst the Promega and RP, those basic sounds and physical models are the same. It is just that there is more sound shaping available on the module so the patches dont compare side by side.

FYI: the editor software for both the RP-X and GM-X is terrific. Very easy to use and allows you to control the finer aspects of each sound and performance.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I am pretty sure that we will have them available sometime next month. As for a dealer in your area, would you mind sending an e-mail to me and then I will forward your request to the apropriate person.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Originally posted by DaveMcM: That question will have to wait until the units actually arrive in the US, sorry. Best Regards,Dave [/QB]
Happy to inform you that my RP-X awaits for me, early next month.Technically I could manage to order the same and have it in less then a week.

But I'm traveling to my German dealer next month and want to make sure baby Promega safely enters my home. I guess, one should skip the baby Promega label, from what I've heard, there is nothing infant about this module ;)

In fact, after emailing you, couldn't resist extending my inquiry to GEM headquarters.

They seem to be very enthused about this module. The only thing I regret about RP-X is the fact that I expected to be of similar presence, much like the early RealPiano Expander :

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/5475/gemexpuo8.gif

I had to visualize RP-X as full rack visage, so there you go, my 10 minute design proposals ;)

Since now there is a full provision (space) for more power, this one has same Drake power as Promega 3 :

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5039/volkenrpx200701xm8.png

While this version (less costly) has only 3 Drakes :

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8453/volkenrpx200704kq7.png

Originally posted by DaveMcM:Actually though, the case would have to be four rack spaces to fit the drake boards properly. Ah well...we can dream.Dave
Ya don't say? ;)

4HE it is, then !

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5055/volkenrpx200700zg2.png

After serious front panel scrutiny and some hard design decisions To maintain unique model recognition among Promega line,it was decided for Drake8 (presently RP-X) rack, to have green lights instead of red ones. Red remains to be exclusive for Promega 3 only, not to upset the keyboard range,considering that applied with latest Vert. Nano.tech, Drake8 rack now provides, no less then 640 voices :eek:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8686/bnql3.jpg

IT analyst predicts serious shortage of memory chips for 2007. Samsung has tripled its production due to enormous demand from Roland and Yamaha. Insider informs us that both Yamaha and Roland upset with Drake8, are on their way releasing soon to come GigaPiano pianos/modules. Yes folks, portable Ivory and Akoustiks are soon to be in every piano released in 2008. Even shameless MS/PCI/MMIO 4GB addressing is now resolved due to a latest Privia range with no less then 8GB piano samples :D

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8808/volkenrpx200701xt2.th.png http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/9339/volkenrpx200704is0.th.png http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3462/volkenrpx200700anc7.th.png

Hey, Dave, does the RP-X have any of the Pro 2 pianos in it? Thanks!

P.S. Still waiting for someone to contact me regarding a GEM dealer in my area (Chicago). Per your recommendations, I e-mailed you several days ago and you advised that you would forward my request to someone who would contact me regarding a dealer. No response as of yet. E-mailed you twice.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Originally posted by Moonglow:

Hey, Dave, does the RP-X have any of the Pro 2 pianos in it? Thanks!

P.S. Still waiting for someone to contact me regarding a GEM dealer in my area (Chicago). Per your recommendations, I e-mailed you several days ago and you advised that you would forward my request to someone who would contact me regarding a dealer. No response as of yet. E-mailed you twice.

Hi,

Sorry about that and thanks for letting me know. If you recently sent an e-mail to me you should have received an auto-response message stating that I am currently out-of-office; which is still the case. But I am still checking e-mail and forums daily. I have placed a call to our office and should hear back from them later today. I will PM the information to you as soon as I have it.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Originally posted by DaveMcM:

44 Sounds / Stereo & Mono PCM plus Physical Modelling - The reference samples for the Steinway and Fazioli pianos have been enhanced. The physical modelling algorithms for the Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Clavinet sounds have also been enhanced.

Wouldn't it be nice of GEM if they'd provide these improvements to us Promega owners? This would even increase sales for the RP-X as we could tell the audience after our gigs "look, you can have this great sound in a small inexpensive box: the RP-X" :rolleyes::wave::wave::wave:

Originally posted by andi.k:

Wouldn't it be nice of GEM if they'd provide these improvements to us Promega owners? This would even increase sales for the RP-X as we could tell the audience after our gigs "look, you can have this great sound in a small inexpensive box: the RP-X" :rolleyes::wave::wave::wave: [/QB]

I'm totally agree with you.

I think it would be a very good idea to add the new RP-X features and improvements to the Promega, with an OS update. :thu:

Originally posted by andi.k:

Originally posted by DaveMcM:

44 Sounds / Stereo & Mono PCM plus Physical Modelling - The reference samples for the Steinway and Fazioli pianos have been enhanced. The physical modelling algorithms for the Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Clavinet sounds have also been enhanced.

Wouldn't it be nice of GEM if they'd provide these improvements to us Promega owners? This would even increase sales for the RP-X as we could tell the audience after our gigs "look, you can have this great sound in a small inexpensive box: the RP-X" :rolleyes::wave::wave::wave:
I'd agree if I had my Promega 3 back. Nearly the end of Jan 07 and its been in repair since around May 06. I think GEM should look into getting some decent support in the UK because there is no way I would ever by a GEM again otherwise.

Dave represents what I consider to be excellent service and he's been really helpful.. but thats GEM USA and I'm stuck with GEM Italy and some repair company in the UK telling me conflicting information and passing the buck.

If I was to make a suggestion, I would tell GEM not to worry too much about the names on knobs and if there are better sounds around I'd take them even if the labels didn't match some of the sounds. I'd love to be able to edit the characteristics of the piano envelopes or even the volume of the resonance layer...

If there's one remaining brand new PM3 out there, it belongs to Orangefunk. Generalmusic Italy, have a heart!

I can't say that "enhancements" to the piano sample mean too much to me. On occasion I've thought it would be cool to turn up the resonance level. But that's an experimental "let's see what it can do" kind of situation, not a daily concern.

Now if the module had 320 note polyphony, and I didn't, that would be another matter! My piano handles the fastest 4-handed rep ever written, with ease. NahnahnahNahNah ;)

BTW, very cool to see the thing advertised in Keyboard!

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Just seen this thing in stock in Europe at thomann.de, it's going for £333.66 or 498 Euros.

Anyone have any idea how the enhanced Clavinet sounds? I wasn't particularly enamoured with the original model on the Promega.

Archived