Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any more news on the GEM X-series module?

Marillo

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Where have you seen it orangefunk? Would be interesting to check out although maybe I shouldn't, having just dropped the £ for a Fantom XR and SRX-12. Having said that, i'm not yet decided on the sound quality of the SRX-12 card.

I don't thinks it's such a bad price to be honest to get your hands on hardware physically modelled EPs and a sampled piano supplemented by PM.

I might have held off buying my Fantom XR for the GEM module but I was less than impressed by the onboard clav sounds.

Originally posted by orangefunk:

Its making me wonder if GEM has some doubts over the name... unless the GM is some kind of GM module of course...

That would be my guess... and, as I'm not about to run someone's Power Point presentation on my PC, I guess I'll have to presume that's the case.

Either way, it makes me wonder who's on the design staff at GEM for these modules... and whether they know it's 2006, not 1986. :eek: I mean, c'mon... 7-segment LED's? :eek:

Perhaps I'm being shallow, wot? ;)

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by orangefunk:

Its making me wonder if GEM has some doubts over the name... unless the GM is some kind of GM module of course...

That would be my guess... and, as I'm not about to run someone's Power Point presentation on my PC, I guess I'll have to presume that's the case.

Either way, it makes me wonder who's on the design staff at GEM for these modules... and whether they know it's 2006, not 1986. :eek: I mean, c'mon... 7-segment LED's? :eek:

Perhaps I'm being shallow, wot? ;)

I reckon GEM will argue that "retro" is in... ;) lets face it.. it doesn't get more retro than the look of the Promega 3 with its LEDs and wooden end cheeks...

I saw a video of Lyle Mays playing the Synclav II (not the later one) and it looked exactly like the PM3 side on..

Originally posted by Moonglow:

Youuuuu Hooooo, Dave M......Where are youuuuu?

Hi There!

Here we go...

The GM-X is a 16 part multi-timbral General MIDI module. The RP-X is strictly a piano module, albeit with some complimentary sounds like the other digital pianos. Both models utilize a single DRAKE processor.

The GM-X Module

complies with the GM/GM2 technical specification

64 voices of polyphony

16 part multi-timbral

Sound database with over 370 Sounds organized into the standard GM family, divided into 4 banks.

Standard GM Reverb and Chorus (other types of Effects are Sys. Excl. addressable)

99 Programmable Performances allowing the user to organize the internal sounds, FX and control parameters.

The RP-X Module

72 voices of polyphony. Why is this less than the 80 voices of polyphony of the RP/pRP series? WellIn any DSP sound generation system, the resources of the processor must be allocated for the various functions of sound generation, effects processing, EQ, dynamic range, resolution, etc.

Two Part Multi-timbral (Layer or Split) Key Range, Velocity and Split Point are fully programmable from the X-Series Editor)

44 Sounds / Stereo & Mono PCM plus Physical Modelling - The reference samples for the Steinway and Fazioli pianos have been enhanced. The physical modelling algorithms for the Rhodes, Wurlitzer and Clavinet sounds have also been enhanced.

Designed to assure almost zero latency under any playing condition.

A three band parametric EQ has been added to the end of the audio chain.

A new smart dynamic voice allocation algorithm has been implemented.

Rev and PRO FX section from the Promega Series. The Rev and FX section includes the same matrix reverb and the PRO FX of the Promega series.

I am told that the complimentary sounds like Strings, Pads and Synth sounds are completely new as well.

The GM-X and RP-X includes a PC software editor (X-Series Editor), which simplifies performance creation and storage.

Both models have a series of common hardware features, such as;

two (optional) pedal inputs to be used with any or our pedals; Single Footswitch, Graded Footswitch, Continuous controller (Expression) or Multi-pedal Unit

USB and MIDI Interfaces

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

[QB.Either way, it makes me wonder who's on the design staff at GEM for these modules... and whether they know it's 2006, not 1986. :eek: I mean, c'mon... 7-segment LED's? :eek:

Perhaps I'm being shallow, wot? ;) [/QB]

The on-board editing is simple enough that a larger/fancier display is unnecessary. For in-depth editing, a software editor is included with each module. I have seen a screen shot of the editor and it looks very nice.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

DaveMCM,

Thank you for the info.

However,

"The reference samples for the Steinway and Fazioli pianos have been enhanced"

Just so there is no confusion, these samples have been enhanced from what ??? ...the Promega and/or RP700/800 I gather ???

So in essence, is the RP-X GEM's official latest & greatest / new flagship piano sample ???

Originally posted by homeAmature:

DaveMCM,

Thank you for the info.

However,

"The reference samples for the Steinway and Fazioli pianos have been enhanced"

Just so there is no confusion, these samples have been enhanced from what ??? ...the Promega and/or RP700/800 I gather ???

Correct.

So in essence, is the RP-X GEM's official latest & greatest / new flagship piano sample ???
Good question. I suppose since there have been enhancements made (what those are I don't know yet), that would mean that the design team feels that some sort of improvement has been made.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Originally posted by vihreamies:

Dave, do you know when they are in the market?

-vm

I really don't have an exact or even a very close date. I was told that they are going into final production at this point so it probably shouldn't be too long of a wait.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Originally posted by Jazzed:

And is the word on price $500 USD? I haven't managed to find anything other than Orangefunk's post this thread.

Hi,

That question will have to wait until the units actually arrive in the US, sorry.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

I hope I'll have better luck locating one to try out than I had looking for a pRP to play.

Thanks Dave for the number you gave me a while ago for GEM's Canadian distributor. Unfortunately, nobody was able to give me any real information other than another number to call, which in turn lead to a couple other numbers to call, which lead to sales people at a few local-ish stores who had mostly never heard of the brand, let alone product.

• 2 months later...

Just a couple of further questions on the RP-X and GM-X if I may:

1.What piano sounds are contained in the GM-X? Does it have the RP-X Steinway/Fazioli sounds, or different ones?

2.Do the modules contain a facility to adjust the velocity response, to help to match up with different master keyboards?

Thanks for any info...

Hi ClairB,

The GM-X does not have the same piano sounds as the RP-X. Velocity is adjustable on both modules.

BTW, I just received my demos yesterday and both modules sound great. It should be about 30 days for the first shipment to arrive.

Best Regards,

Dave

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Archived