Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keith Jarrett & Chick Corea Play MOZART(K. 365 Allegro)

orangefunk

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jarrett for sure seemed more at home in that realm than Chick did in the video, for whatever that's worth. It's not like Chick played bad or anything, but let's face it: Jarrett has been involved in the classical music world since he was a little boy, and Chick has only recently ventured into that field. Jarrett was clearly playing quarterback. I found it an enjoyable performance. I certainly think they fared much better than if we reversed the situation and threw, say, Martha Argerich onstage with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette.

Originally posted by Bridog6996:

I certainly think they fared much better than if we reversed the situation and threw, say, Martha Argerich onstage with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette.

aint that the trueth... i know it lookd like keith but are ya sure ... he didn't stand and sing...
"style is determined not by what you can play but what you cant...." dave brubeck

Originally posted by daviel:

wow! very nice! You don't suppose Chick was sight reading do you? ;)

He didnt he was just pretending

That woman sitting next to him did,

and she was translating this to him

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Martha Argerich onstage with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette.

Wow! An unusual image. I think I'm going to dream of that tonight... maybe Marta Argerich is going to turn into Eliane Elias at some point... :D:freak:

Originally posted by marino:

Martha Argerich onstage with Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette.

Wow! An unusual image. I think I'm going to dream of that tonight... maybe Marta Argerich is going to turn into Eliane Elias at some point... :D:freak:
OK folks, I apologize for quoting myself, but I have to report this.

Tonight, I went to dinner with a friend, at her place. She has a few interesting music DVDs. After dinner, she said, what about watching this movie? and pulled out a copy of "Calle 54".

I have been searching for this movie for many years; it's a fantastic documentary on latin jazz, featuring Michel Camilo, Chucho Valdez, and a lot of other stellar players.

So we watched it, and guess what, one of the first features was the Eliane Elias trio! Marc Johnson was on bass, I couldn't recognize the drummer, but the tune was just beautiful!

Great sound too, and beautiful shooting of beautiful Eliane! ;)

Anyway, the whole movie was amazing, chockful of incredible performances: Paquito D'Rivera, Gato Barbieri, Tito Puente, a touching piano duet with Chucho Valdez and his father Bebo.... I even spotted poor Hilton Ruiz playing in Chico O'Farrill's big band.

Once I was back home, I was so excited by the whole movie and the coincidence of having seen Eliane Elias in a trio context, that I couldn't think about sleeping; so I started writing a tune in a latin jazz style. I found a theme, then... I went on until the whole tune was finished and ready to go. Only thing, it's now 4,30 a.m., I have a new song, but also a headache the size of Saturn... before crashing in bed, I just wanted to share. :)

Carlo

Man, it's funny that you would mention her. I just found a tune of hers on iTunes yesterday that I've been searching for off and on for a couple of years. What a great player/composer, and what a beautiful melodic sense.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived